Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
RallySS

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow RS/2SS Vert M6
Intermittent starter issues SS M6 starter "hanging"

Just dropping a line to see if anyone else has had the issue where the starter engages, but sounds like it is attempting to turn the engine over but actually is not (best description I can give without video). It has only happened a couple times but I am worried it may leave me push starting it eventually just to make it home. I guess it sounds like the starter just puts out the loud pitch like it normally does but doesn't make the high/low sounds like it would when the engine is turning over. Any suggestions? Dealer says I have to bring it in when it is having issues obviously but I cannot recreate it.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Starter motor turns, but it doesn't turn over the engine? Sounds like the "bendix" may not be engaging.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
RallySS

starter motor does not turn when this happens, but it does engage and sounds like it attempts to turn but cannot. Turning it off and cycling the key again fixes it.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Could be a bad sector in the armiture of the starter motor. Or a bad connection, ground or power, in the system. Do they still use a starter relay?
Old 06-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
RallySS

no idea. I know it only happens a couple times but is annoying and embarrassing at times.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

My daughter had a Cavalier that would do that. I suspect it was a bad sector in the starter armiture. It was only an infrequent problem, always corrected if you turned the key "off", then back "on", so we never pursued it. Sometimes you just have to monitor it until the symptoms become more frequent or more significant.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
GreenWithEnvy

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro
Send a message via AIM to GreenWithEnvy Send a message via Yahoo to GreenWithEnvy Send a message via Skype™ to GreenWithEnvy
Not sure if it's the same problem i have but ill press the cluth, put the key in and go to turn it... all the lights come on but I get no response from the starter... you could say it feels like trying to start the car with a completely dead battery. I have to take the key out let of the clutch and try it again and it will work. No idea how I would explain it to a dealership because it's so random.
GreenWithEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

In my previous posts I had overlooked that your car is a manual transmission; if the clutch pedal is not fully, firmly depressed, it may not be engaging the interlock switch and allowing power to the starter motor. Gotta love all the safety crap!
Old 06-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
RallySS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT Impala View Post
In my previous posts I had overlooked that your car is a manual transmission; if the clutch pedal is not fully, firmly depressed, it may not be engaging the interlock switch and allowing power to the starter motor. Gotta love all the safety crap!
I definitely press it in all the way as my 1994 Camaro did this every now and then. I even double checked it while still turning the key by trying to press it down more, but the starter actually makes a noise and sounds like it attempts to turn. It makes a moderately loud noise like an electric motor trying to turn but is unable to, like the engine is vapor locking.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

I'm sorry--I'm out of ideas. Kinda reminds me of the "old school" high compression engines of the sixties. I'm still leaning toward a bad spot on the starter armiture, since it happens intermittently. Maybe as the day goes by someone else will chime in; hope so. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #11
Camaro21

Drives: SOLD - 2013 M6 ZL1
I have had to replace my starter. Due to the heat from the headers, the started started going out. The engine was cranking SLOW, then finally started. It initially felt like a weak battery. I check the batter and it held a load test. I check the started amp draw and it was over 400 amps. I found a replacement starter on Amazon for like $94.00 but now is listed for $125.00. I installed it and no more issues. If you are needing a replacement starter, HERE is a link to the one that I bought on Amazon.
Camaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:48 AM   #12
Silverwolf
OKCAMAROS.COM

Drives: 2013 2SS / RS
Me too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySS View Post
I definitely press it in all the way as my 1994 Camaro did this every now and then. I even double checked it while still turning the key by trying to press it down more, but the starter actually makes a noise and sounds like it attempts to turn. It makes a moderately loud noise like an electric motor trying to turn but is unable to, like the engine is vapor locking.
Pulled on to the hi way the other day and out of the blue I lost power like I was in the wrong gear but I wasn't ...I pulled to the side and it died???...tried to start it and it made the noise you described and would not start ...towed it to the dealer and they are installing a new starter(they said it arrived this morning but no call saying its fixed) ... my tech said he thinks it won't fix it and I would tend to agree but I have no clue what's wrong ....I did remove the rear seat to install a custom seat cover hours before it happened and told the dealer that but he blew it of saying there is no way that would have anything to do with it but after reading all the comments and posts here ...the battery cable runs right under the rear seat so maybe it got grounded out some how....man a 69 camaro would never have these damn issues ...a blown motor, a bad seal in the rear end, but hell I know what to look for with older cars ....I might just trade it in on a Chevy Volt and go buy a badass 69 SS ...well it's a thought...lol
Old 07-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #13
Silverwolf
OKCAMAROS.COM

Drives: 2013 2SS / RS
Well an update to my issues....

It is [sniffle sniffle] blown....the motor is fried ...they started it up for me and it sounds like the dinner bell at the OK corral ....i am soooo glad i never put a CAI on it or a tune...but i guess my tech is pretty cool as he asked me if i had chipped it or tuned it so they could put it back to stock before sending the motor data to GM for authorization to replace the motor...now i guess i am a truck driver for the next couple weeks until they get er done...i guess the positive in all this is that i now have a new motor and a new clutch ...which they replaced a few weeks ago!
Well thats life!
Old 07-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
pvolcko

Drives: 2018 A10 ZL1
They know what happened to cause it?
pvolcko is offline   Reply With Quote