Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #1
calflan

Drives: 1LT; IBM; 6 Spd Manual
2010 Timing chain replacement prior to failure

Wondering if I should pursue changing the timing chain prior to a code or failure. I have roughly 80k miles (not much for a 9 year old car) and no signs of power loss, mileage drop off, etc., but thinking it is inevitable that I'll be looking at a chain change somewhere not far down the road. Thoughts?
Also, is this a task a novice or slightly higher level mechanic can perform in his garage?
Thanks
1LT; Airaid CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder Axelback; Int Floor Lts; RS Spoiler; Radio Controls; Sequential tail lights; Oil Catch Can; VMAX Throttle Body; MACE plenum spacer; Mace manifold insulator[/I]
calflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
I have 116,xxx miles on my '11. Why do you think it's inevitable? Keep the Oil Level high, change it often, and let it warm up for a few minutes before driving. You'll have plenty of time to change them when you get the P0008 code. You would change the headlight bulbs before they blow? I've been following the stories of the Bad Chains ever since I bought my car and my take on it is,1 Most followed the Oil Life Monitor and didn't Change the oil until 10 to 20% life left,2 Most never checked the oil level or added oil between Dealer Service oil changes and reported the level was 1 to 2qts low when it was changed.3 Most didn't Auto-Start the car, just started it up and started driving, not giving the oil a chance to get pumping. Just my$.02 Good Luck with your car. I've done a lot to my car over the years, but wouldn't attempt to replace those chains.
Attached Images

Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:18 PM   #3
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
I have changed mine twice , albeit, I replaced it with a chain that wasn't the new one. I had about 120,000 the first time and 250,000 total miles when I did it again.
Naw, I wouldn't change it until it threw a code. It was only on the early 2010s that were built sometime in 2009. Don't know what month they went to the new chains.
By the way, don't believe everything you read on here.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:51 PM   #4
calflan

Drives: 1LT; IBM; 6 Spd Manual
Thanks. PieNsky I remember you from when we were all tracking our cars - first deliveries. Got mine July 2009. Glad to see you're still chugging along with yours too! I'll hold off a while just concerned about what damage can be done when it does go, which I feel is inevitable, not just from here, have talked to many with early cars and pretty much all have had chain issues. In the old days a timing chain went, you were in big trouble so would prefer not damage anything unnecessarily. All the best!
1LT; Airaid CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder Axelback; Int Floor Lts; RS Spoiler; Radio Controls; Sequential tail lights; Oil Catch Can; VMAX Throttle Body; MACE plenum spacer; Mace manifold insulator[/I]
calflan is offline   Reply With Quote