Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #15
IWANTA(ss)

Drives: 13 1LE 1SS/05 ZX10/02 Silverado/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
Hello Nick - I too am an addict... lol. Since we are addicts, I am not even going to ask you what your goals are. We'll always be wanting more!!!

I am very interested to hear what others say on this because I am in the same boat.

1. Bang for the buck, on an otherwise stock engine, it doesn't appear that aftermarket castings or ported stock heads will do very much for your goals noticeably higher power numbers. So for me personally, that is a back burner upgrade.

2. I've read a lot on the forum and it looks like most of the recent discussions have been around gears. From what I can gather, gears would help folks like us quench the need for speed/acceleration but they don't give you more power... just the ability to apply more force to the road (which will satisfy my cravings for more for sure).

3. The LOD intake is absolutely beautiful, but for the cost and what it does for the powerband below 6500 RPMs, I can't personally justify that piece of automotive art. However, a rod mod intake or the ported MSD might give you more useable power below 6500. Combine it with a good CAI and larger throttle body and you should get noticeable gains for the buck. I'd be interested to hear from Lazer on this one since he built his engine for high revs and uses one of these LOD masterpieces.

Extras:
4. I've been toying with the idea to add some boost. So for me, I am hesitant to do gears or intake before I know which route I end up going. If PD blower like the heartbeat Maggie, I'd probably stay away from gears and definitely no need to upgrade the intake. If I went procharger or some other centri, then gears and an intake might be good supporting mods.

5. How do you hook it all up to the pavement? I was thinking before I go bigger on power to do some things to help it hook. Toe rods, trailing arms, cradle bushings, etc.

6. Drive line upgrades to keep from breaking... driveshaft, axles, diff cover, etc.

7. Drag pack - 17 or 18" rears with some hoosiers for the strip...
1. That’s exactly what my pops said after we got done the cam. He asked what’s next and say heads he was like meh
2. I’ve been reading some of those threads.
3. That thing is purddy and it makes some power, but I have the rod mod now
4. After doing the cam swap I think I should have sent blower first.
5. I have everything done but the diff bushing from Hendrix
6. I am going to wait till something breaks lol till I go there
7. 18x10.5 racestars waiting for rubber
14 Nightrod Special
IWANTA(ss) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:55 PM   #16
PepeLePew

Drives: 2010 2SS Coupe; 2011 2LT Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANTA(ss) View Post
1. That’s exactly what my pops said after we got done the cam. He asked what’s next and say heads he was like meh
2. I’ve been reading some of those threads.
3. That thing is purddy and it makes some power, but I have the rod mod now
4. After doing the cam swap I think I should have sent blower first.
5. I have everything done but the diff bushing from Hendrix
6. I am going to wait till something breaks lol till I go there
7. 18x10.5 racestars waiting for rubber
Heck yeah Nick! Let us know which way you go on your next mods
Old 04-24-2019, 08:59 PM   #17
IWANTA(ss)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
Nitrous; its cheaper, undetectable without having to look for plumbing and will net you more performance than any of the upgrades you listed.
I can’t do nitrous I’ll hurt myself lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
THIS ..... I'm a addict too...
I would love for the engine bay in my car to be that clean. I can’t wait to get to the track myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roader View Post
In regards to e85, be prepared to buy a couple of 5gal gas jugs to keep it full. 25 miles each time to fill up gets old. I assume if you do heads you’ll want to bump up compression enough to run e85 99% of the time?
If it was my money and car I’d do heads, e85, and rod mod intake. But I’ve been there, done that already lol
Yea I was think maybe four then I can have a full tank. I probably drive the car 2 to 3 times a month so it wouldn’t be a problem to grab it before I go back home. I would still want to run on 93 if I wasn’t going to the track.
14 Nightrod Special
Old 04-24-2019, 09:03 PM   #18
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
Nick, Wayne, and Andrew, you ALL need to get to the track, really. And post those results and videos!
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:05 AM   #19
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Dang that’s pretty
Thanks sir !! A lot of love and TLC goes into keeping her that clean for a daily with 109000 on the clock !!
Old 04-25-2019, 06:07 AM   #20
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris49066SS View Post
Nick, Wayne, and Andrew, you ALL need to get to the track, really. And post those results and videos!
I'm working on getting there sir!! Just time and life gets in the way, But need to get there before it gets too obnoxiously hot !!
Old 04-25-2019, 09:08 AM   #21
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9fordkiller View Post
do the gears next
X2 Gears next

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:50 PM   #22
IWANTA(ss)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris49066SS View Post
I’m dying to go, My nephews bday is next weekend it’ll be a great present to take him out to the track with me lol
14 Nightrod Special
Old 04-25-2019, 03:51 PM   #23
IWANTA(ss)

Quote:
Heck yeah Nick! Let us know which way you go on your next mods
Whatever I decide to do y’all will be the 1st to know lol
14 Nightrod Special
Old 04-27-2019, 09:56 AM   #24
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
POPs is right no heads, heads flow better than ported BBC stock, which cam you picked limited you?, you want more power you can get some HP from the LOD intake but its long runners its......well best for a really built bottom end that's radically cammed making the torque...

In your case your not going to stroke, you may want to save up like 5 grand and get GPI ls7 heads like I want some day with a bigger cam and get the most you can from the stock cubes.... And sell the old heads, but hey that involves redoing work.... And costs$$$$ and the LOD its nice and pretty but I doubt makes torque much …..which is what moves you. Of course most daily drive, you really want to make it go faster cheaper e-85 not so great either its not around here. And the gears we have are only 8.6 " why most do 3:91 not higher ..the cost and the breakage of the small teeth and zl1s had 9.9".....

So you have a lot to think about,it all costs $$$$ and making a heavy chevy move not so easy....without gobs of torque. Its all in what you plan to use it for and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ staying N/A limits you but costs less and is more daily friendly, FI and you have those headaches and limits.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:20 PM   #25
IWANTA(ss)

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
POPs is right no heads, heads flow better than ported BBC stock, which cam you picked limited you?, you want more power you can get some HP from the LOD intake but its long runners its......well best for a really built bottom end that's radically cammed making the torque...

In your case your not going to stroke, you may want to save up like 5 grand and get GPI ls7 heads like I want some day with a bigger cam and get the most you can from the stock cubes.... And sell the old heads, but hey that involves redoing work.... And costs$$$$ and the LOD its nice and pretty but I doubt makes torque much …..which is what moves you. Of course most daily drive, you really want to make it go faster cheaper e-85 not so great either its not around here. And the gears we have are only 8.6 " why most do 3:91 not higher ..the cost and the breakage of the small teeth and zl1s had 9.9".....

So you have a lot to think about,it all costs $$$$ and making a heavy chevy move not so easy....without gobs of torque. Its all in what you plan to use it for and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ staying N/A limits you but costs less and is more daily friendly, FI and you have those headaches and limits.
Yea he doesn’t think they are worth it but I have been researching and I’m leaning towards the heads GPI LS7 like you said or maybe go aftermarket I’ve looked a few brands but I don’t wanna buy heads to have work done to them Or maybe just get as much out of the stockers as I can thru GPI.
14 Nightrod Special
Old 04-27-2019, 07:23 PM   #26
IWANTA(ss)

As for the E85 I wouldn’t be opposed to ordering a better quality of fuel from VP for racing night only
14 Nightrod Special
Old 04-27-2019, 10:21 PM   #27
Roader

Drives: Camaro
Talking $55-70 depending on shops around you for 5 gal of c85. But there are a lot of other companies like ignite, renegade, etc. all will be expensive
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:08 PM   #28
IWANTA(ss)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roader View Post
Talking $55-70 depending on shops around you for 5 gal of c85. But there are a lot of other companies like ignite, renegade, etc. all will be expensive
I have found that out from my research but it’ll strictly be for the track. If I go the e85 and heads route. Which I’m leaning towards right now.
14 Nightrod Special

Tags
intake heads gears ls3 1le