Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-29-2019, 03:12 PM   #1
Moekluse

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
New member/ looking for help to make my current exhaust system QUIETER LOL

Hello everyone, this is my first (and certainly not last) post here on Camaro5. Any way, to begin with, I have a 2014 Camaro ss with some aero mods and only Bolt-ons include CAI Intake, kooks long tube headers (catless), and a MBRP muffler delete. I installed the long tubes yesterday and its sounds like a straight piped 5.0 mustang and it's just too raspy. I was wondering if anyone has ever had a long tube headers with stock catback and what axle back they went with. I am considering replacing the whole cat back but I am 19 years old and I'd prefer buying a axle back (with mufflers this time) and keeping the stock cat back. I love the loud idle but between shifts (car is 6 speed manual) it just sounds too raspy. Any opinions are welcomed! Thank you!
Moekluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:21 PM   #2
Benman

Drives: 13 IOM 2ss RS manual
I am about to put LT's on my '13 SS and plan on off road connectors in the stock system behind that, I do have the NPP mufflers and plan on keeping them. One option I am considering is going with a 3" x-pipe and tying that into my stock mufflers. My concern is mating the headers to the rest of the factory system and the x-pipe should eliminate any problem with that since it is made by the same company that made the headers, LGM.
I am sure others will give much more "experienced" advice than I have to offer at present.
Benman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:21 PM   #3
Ashn4it

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray 1SS/RS LS3 M6
Get the Magnaflow Street series Axle Back, will sound deep but remain very quiet even with long tubes!
Ashn4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:22 PM   #4
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS RS SIM
An X pipe will help with the rasp big time.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:22 PM   #5
PepeLePew

Drives: 2010 2SS Coupe; 2011 2LT Vert
What's up Moekluse and welcome to the forum!

I run catless longtubes on a cammed LS3 through factory midpipe and GM Performance axle back (basically stock in terms of sound). It is very quiet. I wanted a full race car sound when not in my neighborhood so I put some electric cutouts in the midpipes right below my seat. I have to say I love having the ability to be loud or quiet whenever I want. If you are looking for just quiet, take a look on craigslist for some OEM axle back mufflers. Most people sell these for about $50 when they upgrade. And if you want the flexibility to go loud again, take a look at the electric cuotouts. I used some cheap ebay ones that were $100 for the set with wireless remote.

Here is my video of the cutouts (sound quality isnt the best but you get the idea)

https://youtu.be/XIY07qtg4gA
Old 04-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #6
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
what size piping?

Bone Stock - Fab 5
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:26 PM   #7
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
First of all, welcome!

If rasp is the concern, get some high flow cats to match up to your long tube headers. They will take a lot of rasp out of the exhaust while still keeping it where you'll enjoy the louder idle and hard accelerations.

If you're dead set on putting a catback on (or at minimum axle back) I've heard a lot of people say good things about Borla S type exhaust. Also, the factory catback with the "suitcase" mufflers really isn't bad with long tube headers. It's fairly docile, but will still get the job done, especially with hard pulls.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:49 PM   #8
Moekluse

Lots of very good suggestions I really appreciate everyone's input! Glad there are sites like this to help everyone out! Does anyone have any Experience with J-Pipes?
Old 04-29-2019, 06:51 PM   #9
Moekluse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9fordkiller View Post
what size piping?
3 inch collector down to 2.5 inch for the cat back then the axle back steps from 2.5 to 3 inch in the rear. I drove it for the first time today on the road and it sounds awesome and its quiet while coasting at 2500 rpm but it's just too raspy while shifting
Old 04-29-2019, 07:47 PM   #10
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
On my old car, I started off with o/r pipes from factory manifolds to the stock exhaust. It actually sounded quite good. I also wanted louder so I went with the FM Outlaw a/b setup and holy crap it didn't disappoint. The drone on the highway was unbearably loud though. My current setup is the SE headers to Magnaflow Competition 3" system and at first fire up it barks. Low rpm and cruise it sounds good. Hard throttle and it also has some rasp to it. I think for mine, it's where the exhaust goes from 3" to 4" then back to 2.5" and then to 3 again from their connection pipes. The Magnaflow system incorporates their x-pipe and the rasp is weird...... Sounds almost like I have a set of FM 40s on the car. I knocked on the mufflers and the packing is still intact. But no mufflers at all is a no go imo.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:44 PM   #11
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moekluse View Post
Lots of very good suggestions I really appreciate everyone's input! Glad there are sites like this to help everyone out! Does anyone have any Experience with J-Pipes?
Yep! I've been running a Solo catback for a little over 4 years. With stock cats and shorty headers it was almost stock sounding in the cab when cruising down the highway, but I actually convinced a neighbor to sell his evo and get a corvette because he missed the sound of a V8.

When I added long tube headers and high flow cats it got a little louder, but still very reasonable and calm when not into the throttle.

Now that I have a cam it's even better yet. J pipes really do a heck of a lot to cancel the drone frequencies so the car is driveable as a regular every day car.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:53 PM   #12
QUICRNU

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS A6
I have had alot of exhausts on my car, but not sure I will sound any different than previous posts.

Long tubes with off road pipes stayed consistent.

Stock L99 catback (best bang for the buck if desiring quiet cruise that still wakes up on throttle)

Magnaflow 2.5" street series (nice deep tone, a bit muffled/docile, but louder than stock)

Magnaflow 2.5 xpipe w/street mufflers (loved this setup, deep bellowinv tone moderate cruise/idle, aggressive on throttle)

Corsa extreme - felt raspy

Borla Atak - to me felt poppy and super ear piercing tone.... Not bad tone, but not good tone...just loud made ears hurt tone. Personal opinion

Solo Mach XL with Jpipes - current catback, nice rumble, almost as deep as the magnaflow 2.5 with reg. Xpipe, screams on throttle. Mod/aggr idle mod. Cruise.

Magnaflow 3" comp series - Hardcore right here, made my neighbors dog pee on his deck when I started it the first time, true story..... The drone, my gosh the DRONE...felt like i was in a cruise ship diesel engine room from 2200 to 2800 cruising rpm so it had to go.... Never tried j pipes on this one... It was NASTY sounding and awesome deep tone.

Have fun man!!

Best : 9.926 ET @ 137.67mph with a 1.401 60 ft

Current: Apex focused.

Build Thread - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481043
QUICRNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:41 AM   #13
weSS1LEy
weSS1LEy

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss/rs/1le
Is there a resonator on your car because as far as I can tell you ARE straight piped. Either add high flow cats or Borla mufflers. I wouldn’t add both. I’m worried about you going too far the other way. The worst is spending thousands and ending up with a quiet exhaust.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:09 AM   #14
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICRNU View Post
I have had alot of exhausts on my car, but not sure I will sound any different than previous posts.

Long tubes with off road pipes stayed consistent.

Stock L99 catback (best bang for the buck if desiring quiet cruise that still wakes up on throttle)

Magnaflow 2.5" street series (nice deep tone, a bit muffled/docile, but louder than stock)

Magnaflow 2.5 xpipe w/street mufflers (loved this setup, deep bellowinv tone moderate cruise/idle, aggressive on throttle)

Corsa extreme - felt raspy

Borla Atak - to me felt poppy and super ear piercing tone.... Not bad tone, but not good tone...just loud made ears hurt tone. Personal opinion

Solo Mach XL with Jpipes - current catback, nice rumble, almost as deep as the magnaflow 2.5 with reg. Xpipe, screams on throttle. Mod/aggr idle mod. Cruise.

Magnaflow 3" comp series - Hardcore right here, made my neighbors dog pee on his deck when I started it the first time, true story..... The drone, my gosh the DRONE...felt like i was in a cruise ship diesel engine room from 2200 to 2800 cruising rpm so it had to go.... Never tried j pipes on this one... It was NASTY sounding and awesome deep tone.

Have fun man!!
How did yours drone? I have the same exhaust as you did, the Magnaflow 3" system and the only rpm it drones for me is right at 1500 to 1700. Other than that, it's extremely nice, deep and rumbly but not unpleasant. My Outlaws though, those bastards were loooooud at the same rpms you had.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote