Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-15-2022, 08:37 AM   #1
Cvargz4589

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
Battle of the beasts: 5th Gen Z/28 vs 6th Gen ZL1 1LE

Hey guys,

Just wanted to spark a conversation about something I found interesting recently on BringATrailer. Both of these cars sold within days of each other. Just taking into consideration the basics of year, mileage, etc., I found it interesting (and am proud to see) the Z fetched more $$ than the newer, higher HP ZL1 1LE. I know I’m preaching to the choir here and we know how special the Z/28 is but you hear a lot of chatter on the other side claiming the 1LE is “better” and typically fetches more $$. Not trying to pin us 5th Gen Z/28 fans against our fellow 6th Gen ZL1 1LE camaro fans because we’re all Camaro fans here but thought it was something to talk about.
Attached Images

Cvargz4589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 01:41 PM   #2
camfwin

Drives: 15 Camaro Z28
comparison

I believe the zl1 had sheet metal repair from an accident.
camfwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 04:12 PM   #3
Gouki

Drives: 2014 Z/28
I'm a Z/28 owner and the ZL1 1LE must be a better car, so much more development went into the 6th gen platform.
Gouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 06:59 PM   #4
highrevving

Drives: Z/28
ZL1 is the faster car but Z28 is the special car. To me, NA is better

Talk about prices? Ford/BMW kill both.

Last edited by highrevving; 12-16-2022 at 10:35 AM.
highrevving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 08:45 PM   #5
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
One thing to be aware of on auction sites is about half the high bidders don't follow through, especially on interesting cars.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 01:35 AM   #6
docwra

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouki View Post
I'm a Z/28 owner and the ZL1 1LE must be a better car, so much more development went into the 6th gen platform.
N/A vs FI though, I know it goes round the Ring faster but Id be surprised if I didnt come back to the Z after driving an LE ......... rarity has to play a part too
docwra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 10:24 AM   #7
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Having had both and driven both on track as well as the mountain twisties I would view them both as great cars, but if I could only have one, I would have the Z/28. Here are my thoughts.

The ZLE wins the performance battle at the track hands down - more hp, lighter, solid bushings, more refined suspension set up etc. So the faster tool for the job at hand. IT has more modern creature comforts for the street, but a inferior street ride. All in all a great car for the track, fun weekend car, but the ride is compromised a bit much for the street IMO.

The Z/28 is the nicer car to drive with a better ride, more room and more comfortable overall. The direct link to the N/A 427 of the Z is something very special and it is just the right amount of power for the chasis and just such a satisfying car to drive. The Z is a big car, but when driven it does not feel big. It can be hustled around a track and a mountain road, and can be driven to the grocery store with ease. Then add in it is just a bad @$$ looking car, which sounds great and does everything well and it is hard to find a reason to not love the Z. Finally with only 1,801 built and less than 1,730 remaining in service, it is a great long term play. Taught both my kids to drive a stick in the Z - so much torque, easy for them to get the hang of it.

I don't regret selling my 1LE to move on to then next thing, I do regret selling the Z/28 and hope to find one to my specs in the near future. Just a great car to have in the garage when you want a quick spin of fun.

Thanks to Chevrolet for building both!
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 10:43 AM   #8
highrevving

Drives: Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
Having had both and driven both on track as well as the mountain twisties I would view them both as great cars, but if I could only have one, I would have the Z/28. Here are my thoughts.

The ZLE wins the performance battle at the track hands down - more hp, lighter, solid bushings, more refined suspension set up etc. So the faster tool for the job at hand. IT has more modern creature comforts for the street, but a inferior street ride. All in all a great car for the track, fun weekend car, but the ride is compromised a bit much for the street IMO.

The Z/28 is the nicer car to drive with a better ride, more room and more comfortable overall. The direct link to the N/A 427 of the Z is something very special and it is just the right amount of power for the chasis and just such a satisfying car to drive. The Z is a big car, but when driven it does not feel big. It can be hustled around a track and a mountain road, and can be driven to the grocery store with ease. Then add in it is just a bad @$$ looking car, which sounds great and does everything well and it is hard to find a reason to not love the Z. Finally with only 1,801 built and less than 1,730 remaining in service, it is a great long term play. Taught both my kids to drive a stick in the Z - so much torque, easy for them to get the hang of it.

I don't regret selling my 1LE to move on to then next thing, I do regret selling the Z/28 and hope to find one to my specs in the near future. Just a great car to have in the garage when you want a quick spin of fun.

Thanks to Chevrolet for building both!
Well said! Bargain GT3RS....
highrevving is offline   Reply With Quote