Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #43
68blk/yel396

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Anyone who's installed springs might be interested in this.
Great Post and info for the Camaro community.......thanks for taking the time to post-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD600SS View Post
Owen knows some stuff, doesn't he!
+1 That's why he is my "Performance Advisor"
Old 04-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #44
Dinky Toy

Drives: 2LT/RS A6 CGM/IO Zaino
Quote:
Mainly just an excuse cuz I want some..
Haha, that's you Mike!

Greetings from India. My car maybe gone (sold) but not the passion.
Finally had some time this week to read up after 4-5 months of very little camaro5.

Boy you have gone all out! When I saw the NOS shot in the video I had to double check it was your car, never would have thought you to go mix and match and MENTAL (NOS and CAM) instead of a full tuner brand car!

Looks and sounds awesome, keep it up El Presidente!

Gr, Mike Q.

Last edited by Dinky Toy; 04-13-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Dinky Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #45
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinky Toy View Post
Haha, that's you Mike!

Greetings from India. My car maybe gone (sold) but not the passion.
Finally had some time this week to read up after 4-5 months of very little camaro5.

Boy you have gone all out! When I saw the NOS shot in the video I had to double check it was your car, never would have thought you to go mix and match and METAL (NOS and CAM) instead of a full tuner brand car!

Looks and sounds awesome, keep it up El Presidente!

Gr, Mike Q.
Ha Ha... great to hear from you Mike... we miss your car in the group around here... Been quite a few folks in the club get some major upgrades...

come see us sometime when you're back in the states...
Old 04-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #46
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Great thread. Scaling a car make a huge difference in performance on the strip and in corners. Rear wheel alignment is another critical factor for both. On the strip, we want minimal camber so we get the tire square to the pavement. The more rubber we have on launch, the better. You can also play with the height adjustment. As a car launches off the strip having one side a bit higher than the other to compensate for driveline torque screwing down one side of the car helps. Sub-frame bushes or inserts also help with this as they keep the sub-frame 'square' to the car. Finally, a monster rear bar help more evenly distribute load to both tires.

You'll see race teams take a year to get the setup just right. Pay attention to details as already made clear in this thread and ALWAYS double check the driveline and suspension bolts to make sure they are tight. We run race car speeds in our 5th Gens and they are not light weights. That means bolts come loose. A 55 gallon drum of LocTite is always handy, but should never be used on the drain plugs or lug nuts.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #47
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Great thread. Scaling a car make a huge difference in performance on the strip and in corners. Rear wheel alignment is another critical factor for both. On the strip, we want minimal camber so we get the tire square to the pavement. The more rubber we have on launch, the better. You can also play with the height adjustment. As a car launches off the strip having one side a bit higher than the other to compensate for driveline torque screwing down one side of the car helps. Sub-frame bushes or inserts also help with this as they keep the sub-frame 'square' to the car. Finally, a monster rear bar help more evenly distribute load to both tires.

You'll see race teams take a year to get the setup just right. Pay attention to details as already made clear in this thread and ALWAYS double check the driveline and suspension bolts to make sure they are tight. We run race car speeds in our 5th Gens and they are not light weights. That means bolts come loose. A 55 gallon drum of LocTite is always handy, but should never be used on the drain plugs or lug nuts.
Bout time you found this thread... more great info... we've found some twisted driveline bolts and things on at least one car... and hitting all the bolts with a wrench seems to always find something...

So how and what coilover setup will help me on the drag strip?
Old 04-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #48
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Bout time you found this thread... more great info... we've found some twisted driveline bolts and things on at least one car... and hitting all the bolts with a wrench seems to always find something...

So how and what coilover setup will help me on the drag strip?
We have been working with Lingenfelter and the 'Black Pig'. They installed Pedders Supercars off the shelf and found 2/10s in the 60'. LPE is an extreme example running ridiculous HP and TQ numbers with true slicks. The problem they were having is it launched so hard it went full hard to the bump stops, bounced off and would then do it again more or less loading and unloading as it went down the track.

We'll have an announcement at C5Fest II regarding a special LINGENFELTER Edition Supercar setup that now delivers even bigger gains, yep an improvement greater than 2/10s in the 60'. I am biting my tongue. I can't say any more Get your credit cards ready we are about to release Gosh it is a great sunny day in Western Michigan.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:25 PM   #49
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Drives: sometimes
Chassis Book

Here is the information on the book I mentioned. I can't believe the cost of this thing has gone up as much as it has.

Door Slammers:The Chassis Book
written by Dave Morgan
ISBN-13: 9780963121707
ISBN: 0963121707

Seems to still be available through Amazon. Here's a link for those that are interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Door-Slammers-...pr_product_top
PoleCat2SSRS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #50
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Get a sharpie and draw circles around the bolts before you loosen them.
If your racing I would find someone with scales like these to see where you are at... It's a pretty quick job but finding scales might be a problem

That was a great tip! Helped me out a bunch today! Works for the struts up front too
Old 04-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #51
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
there is a nice article in chevy performance about this very thing,in this months issue.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #52
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
We have been working with Lingenfelter and the 'Black Pig'. They installed Pedders Supercars off the shelf and found 2/10s in the 60'. LPE is an extreme example running ridiculous HP and TQ numbers with true slicks. The problem they were having is it launched so hard it went full hard to the bump stops, bounced off and would then do it again more or less loading and unloading as it went down the track.

We'll have an announcement at C5Fest II regarding a special LINGENFELTER Edition Supercar setup that now delivers even bigger gains, yep an improvement greater than 2/10s in the 60'. I am biting my tongue. I can't say any more Get your credit cards ready we are about to release Gosh it is a great sunny day in Western Michigan.
This must be what you meant to talk with me about in the parking lot of the fest and we both got sidetracked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat2SSRS2010 View Post
Here is the information on the book I mentioned. I can't believe the cost of this thing has gone up as much as it has.

Door Slammers:The Chassis Book
written by Dave Morgan
ISBN-13: 9780963121707
ISBN: 0963121707

Seems to still be available through Amazon. Here's a link for those that are interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Door-Slammers-...pr_product_top

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
That was a great tip! Helped me out a bunch today! Works for the struts up front too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post
there is a nice article in chevy performance about this very thing,in this months issue.
I'll def check this one out..
Old 05-06-2011, 12:28 AM   #53
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
Quote:
Get a sharpie and draw circles around the bolts before you loosen them.

If your racing I would find someone with scales like these to see where you are at... It's a pretty quick job but finding scales might be a problem

Here's one video of a slightly crooked run, but the go pro on the front of the car really shows it last week.
Damn that car is fast... my car is at the performace shop getting lowering springs and kooks step headers and tune hope they dont mess it up...
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #54
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINE1991 View Post
Damn that car is fast... my car is at the performace shop getting lowering springs and kooks step headers and tune hope they dont mess it up...
Tks... that was with a 1.9 60'... now with things balanced out I'm getting 1.70 60' and should do better next time out, when the driver gets his stuff together.

Just tell them to mark the holes and make sure they tighten the springs and struts back in the same factory position.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #55
Weezerj

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS -- 02 Escalade
very good information.

A side question, at 0:28 seconds into the video I see a spray shoot out from your hood area. What is that?
Weezerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #56
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezerj View Post
very good information.

A side question, at 0:28 seconds into the video I see a spray shoot out from your hood area. What is that?
NOS purge