Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Varying brands of aftermarket grear

Doing research on C5 for gears, however the only information I can find is for Richmond gears. Either the 3.73's, 4.10's or 4.35's. Problem is there seems to be a lot of discussion around strenght of the 4.10's or 4.35's vs the 3.73's or 3.45's (stock gears).

I'm looking for a more aggressive gear than the 3.73's but somthing that's going to hold up and not break teeth.

Are Richmond the only gears around for the 2010 Camaro SS, or are there other reliable brands on the aftermarket? PS - I don't mind more expensive gears if they are stronger or more reliable than some other brands.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
more brands are coming, wait it out for the winter.
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Hello? Anyone. Are there only 2 brands out there LPE and Richmond?
Old 10-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
Hello? Anyone. Are there only 2 brands out there LPE and Richmond?
Yes, as of right now, that's it!!! But by next spring/summer, I have it on good authority that "Motive Gear" and I think it was "U.S. Gear" will be producing 3.73's and 4.11's also. I haven't heard anything from "Precision Gear", so I don't know what they're doing, if anything. So, if you're unwilling to trust the Richmond gears, just be patient, they're coming. I do wish that someone would produce a more reliable set of 4.33's, but from what I've heard so far, the rest of the companies are only going as low as the 4.11's.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Yes, as of right now, that's it!!! But by next spring/summer, I have it on good authority that "Motive Gear" and I think it was "U.S. Gear" will be producing 3.73's and 4.11's also. I haven't heard anything from "Precision Gear", so I don't know what they're doing, if anything. So, if you're unwilling to trust the Richmond gears, just be patient, they're coming. I do wish that someone would produce a more reliable set of 4.33's, but from what I've heard so far, the rest of the companies are only going as low as the 4.11's.
Thanks for feedback.
The fact of the matter is (from my limited knowledge) it appears that Richmond are the industry leaders in this particular area, however, I want an agressive 4.10 or like yourself perhaps 4.33's, and like I said willing to pay the price, but not hearing too many good things about Richmond 4.10's these days. And, the worse thing about it is they aren't even on the C5 board defending or responding to the concerns of thier client base.
I've seen many vendors join discussions to try and resolve issues or confirm / deny there is a problem, and in most cases fess up or agree to try and fix the issue. In this case Richmond is totally silent on the matter, which tends to make me believe there is a bigger problem here that they don't want to leak out into the public.
So, unfortunatley, I'm just going to have to wait and see what happens over the next 6 - 12 mos.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
I would say if anyone is coming out with a "new" item, it will be announced in a few weeks at SEMA (Nov. 2-5th, 2010).

That's when companies announce the new stuff...
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600hp-lpe View Post
I would say if anyone is coming out with a "new" item, it will be announced in a few weeks at SEMA (Nov. 2-5th, 2010).

That's when companies announce the new stuff...
Good point. My concern is whether or not I want to be a guinea pig for new parts.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
Thanks for feedback.
The fact of the matter is (from my limited knowledge) it appears that Richmond are the industry leaders in this particular area, however, I want an agressive 4.10 or like yourself perhaps 4.33's, and like I said willing to pay the price, but not hearing too many good things about Richmond 4.10's these days. And, the worse thing about it is they aren't even on the C5 board defending or responding to the concerns of thier client base.
I've seen many vendors join discussions to try and resolve issues or confirm / deny there is a problem, and in most cases fess up or agree to try and fix the issue. In this case Richmond is totally silent on the matter, which tends to make me believe there is a bigger problem here that they don't want to leak out into the public.
So, unfortunatley, I'm just going to have to wait and see what happens over the next 6 - 12 mos.
Actually, Richmond does have a representative on C5, under the name "RichmondGear". I even PM'd him and asked if he would post a response to all the reports of possibly bad gears, because I know there are many (including myself) that would like to hear their side of the story. Basically, he said he didn't want to get into it, and that everything would be taken out of context on an internet forum. He said that the number of failures was overly exagerated anyway. With a response like that, I feel exactly like you.....I'm going to wait for another manufacturer!!! But I do wish someone else would make 4.33's!!!!
I do think that the installation process on these gears is an extremely meticulous process (when compared to other cars), and is probably the biggest contributing factor to the reported failures. At this point, if I was to purchase any gears from any manufacturer, I would ONLY let Jannetty Racing install them along with their other associated mods. I know it's expensive, but at this point, they have had the best success rate that I know of.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
McBeevee
220/221 whatever it takes

Drives: See sig....
FYI, this is the response I got from Motive on August 30th.....

"we will have 3.91 and 4.10 ratios available by January of 2011.."

2022 BMW X5 M50i
2022 Ram TRX
2021 GT500 CFHP
2016 Challenger Hellcat A8 1058whp/898wtq
1970 Chevelle SS396 4spd
McBeevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Satisfied View Post
FYI, this is the response I got from Motive on August 30th.....

"we will have 3.91 and 4.10 ratios available by January of 2011.."
Yes. I did find out about Motive, checked out their site as well. Definately, will be interesting to see what they come up with. Hopefully, it will be a very strong product that can hold up to driving styles of those of us who want to be a little more aggressive than the average driver. ie - Camaro SS owners with ton's of HP & TQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Actually, Richmond does have a representative on C5, under the name "RichmondGear". I even PM'd him and asked if he would post a response to all the reports of possibly bad gears, because I know there are many (including myself) that would like to hear their side of the story. Basically, he said he didn't want to get into it, and that everything would be taken out of context on an internet forum. He said that the number of failures was overly exagerated anyway. With a response like that, I feel exactly like you.....I'm going to wait for another manufacturer!!! But I do wish someone else would make 4.33's!!!!
I do think that the installation process on these gears is an extremely meticulous process (when compared to other cars), and is probably the biggest contributing factor to the reported failures. At this point, if I was to purchase any gears from any manufacturer, I would ONLY let Jannetty Racing install them along with their other associated mods. I know it's expensive, but at this point, they have had the best success rate that I know of.
Definately, agree that installation of gears isn't for everyone, and I would be surprised if people are taking these vehicles to some local shop to have the gears installed simply to save a few bucks. I have a shop I go to that does, all kinds of mods, and they even said they could do the job but they have an expert shop they use to install gears for all the race cars they work on.
As for the response from Richmond, that's not very professional for a manufacturer of a product that needs folks like you and I to make their year end profits.
I plan to wait and see what Motive does over the next few months, and then like I said won't get any gears until 6 - 12 mos. passes, just to make sure. Hopefully, by then Richmond will get their act together, and / or the competitors will have a better stronger product.
Confused, though as to why it appears the stock pinion and gear set is more sturdy looking and / or stronger than the Richmond product. Did you see those pictures too?

Last edited by calbert1999; 10-22-2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Spelling
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote