Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 08-14-2021, 12:46 AM   #15
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Supposedly opening up in a few weeks. I am really shocked at all the negitive comments on Facebook with regards the track.

Motorcycles is by the biggest controversial topic and whether or not this is a motorcycle "friendly" design? The track has stated many times they want to run motorcycles but it seems no one that races bikes like what they see? (This one doesn't affect me either way as I don't one).

The second most repeated complaints are regarding all the armco and how close the walls are to the racing surface?

The third is the lack of runoffs?

Now I have no clue what's what as i have never ran on a road course. To me the track looks great and will only continue to improve as the owners keep plugging away regarding all the little details and such.

Could those of you that have experience weigh in on what you think? After seeing all the complaints including some from people that do this type of racing, is it really that bad?

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CShPaaI...on_share_sheet
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 12:45 PM   #16
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Ok, I've been waiting for some of the more experienced folks to weigh in but until then I'll give you my opinion as a rookie/ novice. Great, challenging layout but too much stuff to hit at my low experience level. The elevation changes make it more exciting but also a bit more dangerous. Not sure why the walls are so damn close, looks like there's plenty of room to place them further back thereby giving more room for error in the event of a slide or spin situation. Keep in mind there will be other individuals on the track with you and their skill levels will vary. If YOU decide to run this track with your 1LE you'll need proper brake upgrades and of course appropriate tires. Big, long track so plenty of speed and heat. The owners manual recommends a diff cooler also (page 9-7). Instructor assistance would be beneficial. Track day insurance is very spendy but might give you peace of mind. Summary: I would run this track in the entry level group with my Z06 and track insurance. The Z/28? No f-n way!!!
Old 08-15-2021, 01:43 PM   #17
Silveradoss573

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Ok, I've been waiting for some of the more experienced folks to weigh in but until then I'll give you my opinion as a rookie/ novice. Great, challenging layout but too much stuff to hit at my low experience level. The elevation changes make it more exciting but also a bit more dangerous. Not sure why the walls are so damn close, looks like there's plenty of room to place them further back thereby giving more room for error in the event of a slide or spin situation. Keep in mind there will be other individuals on the track with you and their skill levels will vary. If YOU decide to run this track with your 1LE you'll need proper brake upgrades and of course appropriate tires. Big, long track so plenty of speed and heat. The owners manual recommends a diff cooler also (page 9-7). Instructor assistance would be beneficial. Track day insurance is very spendy but might give you peace of mind. Summary: I would run this track in the entry level group with my Z06 and track insurance. The Z/28? No f-n way!!!
Thanks for your thoughts. I agree with the walls being too close when it looks like they could've been moved back quite a ways. I mean see what others are concerned about to a extent. But at the same time this is by far the biggest racing facility to happen in mid Missouri in decades. So I guess it bugs me a little when I see all the negitive comments when the owners could've easily built this in another state. I'm trying to give the track owners the benefit of doubt when they have said this is a track for not only pro events but amateur drivers as well. And what also I guess confuses me with all of this is the fact that the owners of the track are owners/driver of a professional racecar team that runs in IMSA? I would think they know what they're doing right???
Old 08-15-2021, 04:24 PM   #18
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

My guess is they designed that track more towards the pros, with hobby guys secondary. Hit Google and look for a 16:45 min video "Arizona Motorsports Park chasing Jason". That's the track I'm going to be doing tha majority of my learning on. The Z/28 in it is not mine. A pretty good slide and a little "off-roading" highlights the necessity of some room to roam.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:53 PM   #19
Silveradoss573

Quote:
My guess is they designed that track more towards the pros, with hobby guys secondary. Hit Google and look for a 16:45 min video "Arizona Motorsports Park chasing Jason". That's the track I'm going to be doing tha majority of my learning on. The Z/28 in it is not mine. A pretty good slide and a little "off-roading" highlights the necessity of some room to roam.
After watching the video you mentioned, I see what you and others are getting at even more. Let me ask you something then. Know I know you have that gorgeous Z/28 which is on another whole level vs my 1LE. But I pay attention when you post up a picture of it from time to time and it looks like you keep it in mint condition like mine. If you were in my shoes what would you do? Just go and watch and see if they make the necessary improvements if ever I guess?
Old 08-16-2021, 01:58 AM   #20
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

I guess 1st thing I would do is wait for the track to open then go check it out. Maybe buy a helmet and schmooze up to a fellow Camaro guy and hitch a ride. You'll have to do some upgrades to your 1LE, do you want to spend that cash and then have a "modded" vehicle? Definitely nothing wrong with that but still something to consider. How aggressive do you normally drive the 1LE? I treat my Z like a garage queen 50% of the time but I really enjoy Auto X and it sees 6500 rpm during weekly street therapy sessions. I'm very reluctant to run the Z/28 anywhere it could get damaged. Yeah, I know I can mess it up on the Auto X course, could roll it off my trailer or my house could be stuck by lightning. On my rookie day at Wild Horse Pass Main Track in April I saw 4 cars get heavy damage/totaled. If I would have had my Z there that day I would have loaded it on the trailer and gone home. If you feel the same way 'bout your 1LE you really won't enjoy yourself on the track and you might not feel comfortable pushing your car to its limits. In order satisfy my middle-age need for speed I purchased my C5 Z06 and sometimes refer to it as Z/28 insurance, it insures I won't do anything TOO FOOLISH with the Z/28.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2021, 01:51 PM   #21
Silveradoss573

Quote:
I guess 1st thing I would do is wait for the track to open then go check it out. Maybe buy a helmet and schmooze up to a fellow Camaro guy and hitch a ride. You'll have to do some upgrades to your 1LE, do you want to spend that cash and then have a "modded" vehicle? Definitely nothing wrong with that but still something to consider. How aggressive do you normally drive the 1LE? I treat my Z like a garage queen 50% of the time but I really enjoy Auto X and it sees 6500 rpm during weekly street therapy sessions. I'm very reluctant to run the Z/28 anywhere it could get damaged. Yeah, I know I can mess it up on the Auto X course, could roll it off my trailer or my house could be stuck by lightning. On my rookie day at Wild Horse Pass Main Track in April I saw 4 cars get heavy damage/totaled. If I would have had my Z there that day I would have loaded it on the trailer and gone home. If you feel the same way 'bout your 1LE you really won't enjoy yourself on the track and you might not feel comfortable pushing your car to its limits. In order satisfy my middle-age need for speed I purchased my C5 Z06 and sometimes refer to it as Z/28 insurance, it insures I won't do anything TOO FOOLISH with the Z/28.
Thanks again for weighing in. You make a lot of good points and what sounds like good advise on how to go about this. Again I have never done this type of hobby racing and still picking up info and tips here and there. Nice looking vette btw.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:49 AM   #22
jksynergy

Drives: 11 SW SYNERGY SERIES/14 1SS 1LE
Some great comments and concerns. I'm on the fence as to being first in line to go run the new track. It's close enough to home, about 2.5 hours away. I'd like to maybe go spectate, and some touring laps would help to learn the layout. I've slid sideways through grass enough that more run off room is a good thing. Maybe let the asphalt age for a year and see how the surface does. New pavement is always a little tricky to learn on. I'll be watching for videos and on track feedback then make a decision. My concern will be HPDE days and the amount of experienced folks. Track day insurance will be my first purchase if attending.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass! Airaid, Spectre, Xpel,Bowler shifter Peddars, UMI, Ult Perf. Diode Dynamics, JRE Tune, XS Power battery,
Hooker Headers Blackheart exhaust,Powerbrake
InstaGram & Twitter: @jlouie62
FB: hangtimeracing
jksynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:20 AM   #23
Feffman

Drives: Various
I received a note from James at OIR yesterday. They hope to be ready in September as they put some final touches on fencing.

Feff
www.MVPTrackTime.com
Feffman is offline   Reply With Quote