Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-29-2017, 03:11 AM   #1
626CammedSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Coilovers vs Lowering Springs

I am currently running BMR 1.4in drop alll around, the ride quality isnt that great. I was wondering if anybody has gone from lowering springs to coil overs and seen a great improvement in ride quality or any improvement. Feel free to post pics of your car with coil overs as well. Been debating for a while now about getting them, are rhey worth the money or should i stick with drop springs
626CammedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:41 AM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
If your car is primarily street-driven, then unless you have extra money to burn I wouldn't bother with coil-overs, especially since you already bought springs - but that's just me, of course. Maybe consider shocks such as Bilstein B6's or Koni to help with ride quality.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:50 AM   #3
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
If your car is primarily street-driven, then unless you have extra money to burn I wouldn't bother with coil-overs, especially since you already bought springs - but that's just me, of course. Maybe consider shocks such as Bilstein B6's or Koni to help with ride quality.
Good advice IMO. I went from OEM to CO's on my 1LE, so I can't answer your question specifically. I have used lowering springs on my 370Z (Swift's), and was happy with them for the street. What I will say is, for the vast majority of us, I think the "improvements" are very subjective because most don't really push their cars to the limit, and suspension feel can be very subtle. A 1.4 inch drop with stock struts/shocks is pretty substantial, and I can understand the ride would feel pretty firm.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:53 PM   #4
Mando2776

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
If budget permits, I’d look into Coil-overs. I went from stock to Bcracing BR coilovers and couldn’t be happier, I can adjust ride height easily, and I can adjust for soft ride, or stiffer if I choose. Couldn’t be happier! I wanted to do lowering springs with bilstein. But the lack of adjustments, made me go with coilovers.
Mando2776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:55 PM   #5
626CammedSS

Thanks for the help guys
Old 10-03-2017, 12:41 AM   #6
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Coilovers dont ride too hot either.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #7
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I went from Hotchkis springs and my fe4 shocks to Pedders supercars. The Hotchkis springs rode well, but still a stiffer spring ride. Comfortable other then bumps, and on bumps was a a bit bouncy as shocks at their limits I guess. I went to the coilovers to get a better ride, and adjustability and for autocross use.Once dialed in to your liking the ride is smother, more controlled(no bounce) even with the stiffer springs and valving. Can be softer then stock, but will get bouncy it more soft in the rear like springs do. If you look at bc single adjustable shocks read all the comments on this site. They can be soft but seem to be to bouncy in the rear if set softer. But note also that the coilovers on bumpy roads will show their stiff spring and valving and shorter travel. Takes awhile to set them up to your liking
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:14 AM   #8
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
A couple of things to think about. The 5th Gens are a performance car which means they are made to ride stiffer than say an Impala. When you add performance parts (drop Springs, Coilovers Suspension Arms, etc) you will make the car even stiffer. A Coilover will give you more adjustability, but that doesn't guarantee a better ride!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:49 PM   #9
bayarea408

Drives: T
when i bought the car i wanted it lowered but with a performance edge to the steering. I bought a pedders stage 2 suspension kit came with springs, front and rear sway bars.

If i were you and wanted to lower but not hurt its performance look into packages that are designed to be used with the right sway shock spring combo.

MOST of the time when i sit in a car with CO's they honestly all drive stiff and handle like crap because folks do not really know how to dial in dampers.
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #10
Mando2776

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
After going from stock to coilovers. My ride performs and feels less stff then stock. I did dial in the rebound/dampening to the best settings i felt were perfect for me. There’s no going back. I am satisfied with my coilovers. Less harshness on Bumps. Steering feels the same. I’m using bcracing coilovers and have my settings at front 20 clicks from Soft.
Rears are set at 15 clicks from soft.
Mando2776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:31 AM   #11
626CammedSS

Im really looking into getting some now thanks
Old 10-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #12
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
If you can swing it, get ridetech HQ’s. Appear to be best in ride quality
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:14 PM   #13
p.s.

Drives: 2014 v6 manual
If you get coilovers make sure you get adjustable dampening. I wouldn't do coils again if my goal was to only drop and inch or inch and a half. Not worth the money imo. handling is probably better with coils vs drop springs but i've never had drop springs so i can't say for sure.

Id go air if i had to do it again and wanted to be low, at that point its for stance as I don't think any one is doing performance air ride that actually handles for our cars. I may be wrong though.
p.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:59 PM   #14
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
If you go with a spring/shock combo that is known to go well together on this platform, then that's usually a great way to go. No fuss, it just works (much like OEM but better). Too much of a drop is generally unproductive to handling, tire wear, bushing wear, etc.

For racing purposes, a huge plus to coilovers is the ability to corner balance a car precisely. For street, it's nice to be able to experiment with different heights.

Coilovers usually:
-reduce weight
-have less suspension travel
-have adjustable height
-have adjustable dampers

I've run the BC Racing BR series with pillow ball mounts and camber plates on a different platform. It worked well enough and was an affordable upgrade to that particular car. They definitely have less travel than OEM. Most of the time they can be fairly comfortable and decently controlled. Sharp bumps however were complete crap. They worked well enough on bumpy tracks with NT01R tires. If I went with BC racing again it would be the ER series (for the cheap option) or just go with really good stuff. But that's with road course focus with some streetability.

I've ran Bilstein PSS9 on an Audi, and they were STIFF as hell. Brutal. I also ran H&R coilovers (height adjustable only) on another Audi, and they were sublime. I've run Eibach/Bilstein Sport combo. Works very well, the Bils definitely are firm, but work very well when you're pushing hard. Been in tons of cars with a variety of stuff, from 5k/corner to stock springs and Konis. It's a bit easier to figure out the right gear if you have a specific focus - autocross or time trials or wheel to wheel racing or drag or whatever.

I think for most people (myself included) a well matched spring/shock combo is more than good enough. Cheap coilovers are not an upgrade to OEM on the street, with the exception of adjustable height. And maybe not an upgrade at the track either. My stock 1LE is better than a lot of aftermarket stuff I've experienced.
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote