Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-13-2019, 08:57 AM   #15
byrds8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS, L99
Guess that means replace it all then since the rears are drilled and slotted also. Would look pretty odd having flats up front and not in the back. So I guess Ill just get the stock AC delco Rotors. Are those pads good? I know ceramic do not stop as well but I assume these are not just plain ceramic since they say carbon fiber?
2013 Camaro SS/RS, Stainless Power long tube headers with HF's, Air Raid CAI, Solo Mach XL cat back, BC Racing coil overs, Elite Engineering catch can, Ferrada Forge 8 Wheels, Windows tinted at 20%, Tuned by Dyno Steve.
byrds8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:22 AM   #16
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
There's nothing wrong with ceramic pads. Its not that they dont stop well, they just glaze easier, dust way less and dont bite into the brake rotor as well as metallic's would. There's always a trade off. Its just a simple brake job, you might be putting too much thought into it. If your just daily driving the car and never tracking it, it probably doesnt matter much what you put on. I personally, only use OEM pads because of reasons previously stated.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #17
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrds8 View Post
So what do you guys think about these pads Z26 Street Warrior; Carbon-Fiber Ceramic and stock AC Delco rotors or should I just get Z26 Street Warrior Performance Kit that has all of it? Would mean having drilled and slotted rotors again though. Also, Im assuming its probably just the fronts that are warped. Would it be bad to only replace the fronts? If I do that should I at least replace the rear pads with a the match type pads I put on the front?
most have good results with the Z26 pads. i don't mind the stock rotors i don't track my car it's my daily.for the most part OEM is the best quality.
don't forget the new caliper bolts
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:22 AM   #18
byrds8

I dont track my car either. I do drive it though. Interstate through here is crazy in the afternoons and if youre not driving 80-90 you get ran over. You are probably right though I do tend to overthink things a bit. Something that I cannot help. Just happens. I do know I need the bolts also. Asked the local Chevy for a part number and they gave me something that comes with long pins also that was 60 bucks. Glad I looked on this forum and found the right PNs for what I need lol.
2013 Camaro SS/RS, Stainless Power long tube headers with HF's, Air Raid CAI, Solo Mach XL cat back, BC Racing coil overs, Elite Engineering catch can, Ferrada Forge 8 Wheels, Windows tinted at 20%, Tuned by Dyno Steve.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:13 PM   #19
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
For what it is worth, I just did the brakes on all 4 corners on my 2011 SS, had it done at my Chevy dealership, turned the rotors because they were not the originals, they were replace last brake job because they are designed to wear with the pads on the Brembos. This brake job I use the ACDelco Professional semi metallic pads and the entire job was 523 bucks, labor and all, and also after these pads seated in, they are pretty much dust free.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:15 PM   #20
byrds8

I tried to get a quote from my chevy dealer but cant get them to call me back. Crazy that you have to hound people to give them money. There is a local shop here that will install the rotors and pads for $200. Probably just going to get the pads and rotors off Rock Auto and take it to him to do.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:25 PM   #21
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
The really good pads everyone comments on are the OE Brembo pads. They are pricey, couple hundred per axle. Can be bought from Amazon or any auto parts store that carries ACDelco. They have a GM part # and corresponding ACDelco part number - same pad.

Ceramic pads - I call ...car show brake pads. They are good for keeping your car clean. Brembo OE as well as other hi perf metallic pads are meant for performance driving. The excessive dust means they are working.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:32 PM   #22
byrds8

Gm lists two different sets for the car. Both say semi metallic and both say they go with the brembo brakes. Prices however are hugely different. Ones really expensive on rock auto and the other isn’t so bad.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:35 AM   #23
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
OEM pads are made by Brembo. They're very good pads but they dust like crazy. I got 72k miles out of my original set of pads and just replaced them with the Powerstop Z26 pads. I was just sick of the amount of dust and my wheels always looking dirty.

Front oem pads for your car are part# 22907156
Rear oem pads are part# 89047744
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:41 AM   #24
GearheadSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrds8 View Post
Gm lists two different sets for the car. Both say semi metallic and both say they go with the brembo brakes. Prices however are hugely different. Ones really expensive on rock auto and the other isn’t so bad.
The more expensive pads are for J56 brakes(ZL1 upgrade). You could get ZL1 brake upgrade as an accessory from GM.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:43 AM   #25
GearheadSS

Also, remember that if you're replacing the rotors, you will need to replace the caliper bolts as well. The caliper bolts are one time use only, per the GM service manual. You'll need 4 of each of these.

Also, replacing pads and rotors is easy if you have the time and correct tools. I just did my fronts on Saturday. It took me about an hour and half to do pads and rotors for the front.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:28 AM   #26
byrds8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
OEM pads are made by Brembo. They're very good pads but they dust like crazy. I got 72k miles out of my original set of pads and just replaced them with the Powerstop Z26 pads. I was just sick of the amount of dust and my wheels always looking dirty.

Front oem pads for your car are part# 22907156
Rear oem pads are part# 89047744
How do those stop compared to OEM? Ive read that generally ceramics do not have the same stopping power.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:00 AM   #27
Coleroad

Drives: 13 Camaro
This is what you want yo know. The factory pads are FF.

http://faculty.ccbcmd.edu/~smacadof/DOTPadCodes.htm
Coleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:47 PM   #28
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
The original pads are semi-metallic, not ceramic. I just stick with the OE-style, meaning semi-metallic, but I don't necessarily buy the original name brand. Centric Posiquiets are very good, and honestly even though people may give me shit for this, the Duralast Gold are very good products. I have been using the DLGs for 6+ years on thousands of cars with absolutely ZERO complaints, they last a good amount of time and have lifetime warranty so you buy the first set and never again pay for pads. No noise whatsoever on any car, although I'm sure brembos will still give you that slight squeak at times. Made by Bosch, sold as Duralast Gold

Centric PQ 104.14740 (fronts)
Centric PQ 104.10530(rears)

Autozone DG1474 (fronts)
Autozone DG1053 (rears)

You can get 105.10530 / DG1053C for rear ceramic options, but again I'd stick with the OE material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
Also, remember that if you're replacing the rotors, you will need to replace the caliper bolts as well. The caliper bolts are one time use only, per the GM service manual. You'll need 4 of each of these.

Also, replacing pads and rotors is easy if you have the time and correct tools. I just did my fronts on Saturday. It took me about an hour and half to do pads and rotors for the front.
Honestly you'll be fine reusing those caliper bracket bolts... I've had to take mine off a few times since I resurfaced rotors and haven't changed them. But you can play it safe and replace them, I just don't feel the need to.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote