Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-10-2015, 09:52 AM   #1
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Power steering problem... need advice, please!

2001 Suburban, 4X4, 5.5L... A few weeks ago, suddenly, and without warning or due process, the power steering quit being power steering. I got the thing home, but it was a chore. My wife would not have been able to drive it, though... took a full pair of strong arms to make it go anything other than straight.

I suspected the pump. Spent half of Saturday cursing and bleeding and re- watching the YouTube videos on how to complete the swap. Had to disassemble the entire vehicle down to the molecular level, but, because magic is apparently real, it all went back together. I'll be picking chunks of dirt out of my eyes for weeks, and my fingernails will display dark nooks and crannies for as long, but, the job is finished.

And, the power steering is back... 99% of the time. But... once in a blue moon (generally when I least expect it), the steering becomes VERY heavy. It's only momentary, but it's enough to scare the crap out of the driver every time. It requires extra effort, but for a moment, there seems to be no power assist. It takes a good solid turn of the wheel, and it will then resume powering the turn, and the turn can be completed.

This happens both under load, and under coasting/ idling conditions... engine speed seems to be irrelevant.

I've bled and bled and bled the brakes... fluid levels are so freakin' optimal that they just can't get any optimaler. Of course, I flushed all of the old fluid out of the system, and put fresh stuff in. Serpentine belt is good, pulleys are good...

Any ideas on why the occasional scare- the- crap- outta- me incidents?
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Sounds like there is still air in the lines. It cavitates and you get no power steering, then it picks up again.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
Sounds like there is still air in the lines. It cavitates and you get no power steering, then it picks up again.
Thanks, Red... can you tell me if I bled the lines properly, or am I doing it wrong?

I lifted both wheels completely off of the ground, jackstands under frame. With the engine off, I turned the wheel, slowly, lock to lock, back and forth. I did this for 20 cycles. Then I took it for a test drive, but noticed the occasional hard steering. Again, lifted it off the ground, with engine off, turned it lock to lock, but did 50 cycles. Then, I turned the engine on, and did another 20 cycles.

Checked the fluid frequently during the procedure, and fluid levels never went down to the point that it would suck air into the lines.

Is there a better method?
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
Donald

Drives: Just a dream...
Engine on, then turn lock to lock with wheels in the air.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:56 PM   #5
essess

Drives: 10 camaro ss
Im thinking one of 2 things. Either you have a seizing ujoint in the steering shaft or a bad spool valve in the rack or steering box, not sure which one that veh has. The ujoint can usually be felt by just sitting still and slowly turning the wheel lock to lock. It will feel like it gets easier and harder as you turn the wheel. If its a spool valve, it will usually start with having no power steering, then as your turn, you might feel a subtle pop and then power steering is back normally, then if you dont steer alot for a bit it will stick again. Usually air in the lines will just be either very noisy but work fine or it will shudder as you turn the wheel
essess is offline   Reply With Quote