Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #1
Morgan.13

Drives: 2011 camaro 1ss
Torqstorm Superchargers Kit

Hey everyone! I’ve come to realize that there isn’t a lot of information about these Torqstorm superchargers for our cars! So my intentions are to show a little bit of the build progress and give some feed back on the supercharger!

So first off, I ordered everything through TPS Motorsports. They had a nice appealing 700hp package put together that included the supercharger, ZL1 fuel pump, 72lb injectors, intercooler kit, and a catch can. Long tube headers were available too, however I already had them installed.

So the first part I received in the mail was the intercooler kit. So while waiting for the rest of the parts to come in I decided to prepare the car a little bit. In order to fit the intercooler. I removed the front bumper, relatively easy and straight forward. I then removed the crash bar, and the plastic shroud. This gave me enough room to fit the intercooler in nicely. From here I fabricated a couple of brackets to hold it in place. I then proceeded to remove the windshield washer reservoir to make room for the intercooler piping. I was able to work around the coolant reservoir. Actually plumbing the intercooler side of things may be the most difficult part of the install, but it’s a very manageable task and nothing to be afraid of doing. Having pictures of other peoples set ups helps you get an idea.

The supercharger arrived not long after. Overall the packaging was very well done and nothing came in damaged. I was surprised I didn’t need to sign for the package and they just left it by my door haha. However all was good and opening the packages everything was put together nicely. I ordered my supercharger kit in their black finish, the coating is very well done but my only complaint is that I wish the compressor housing side was more dark. Once installed it looks fine though and isn’t too noticeable.

So inside the box they include an install packet. The actual install is relatively straightforward and the packet does a decent job at walking you through the process. In my opinion it could be refined a little bit in a couple areas where I needed to reach out to them or others to ask certain questions. But that being said, their customer service is amazing and they’re beyond helpful and very responsive when you reach out to them, even as far replying to me on the weekend (when most of us work on our cars).

The first task is to remove the intake and engine cover, I had already removed these before hand assuming it was needed for the install. Next is removing the power steering pulley. I ended up going to harbor freight and buying their pulley puller which worked just fine for this. $20 for the tool, is it the best quality? No, but it’s get the job done. The pulley makes some rough noises coming off, but it’s nothing to worry about. Everything came apart nicely! The next step is removing the positive terminal post. You do this by drilling the 6 spot welds, honestly a pain in the butt. But I didn’t really have the best cordless drill to use, something smaller would’ve been ideal to get a better angle for drilling. I went out of my way to prep the area, and clean it good and paint it to make it as if the terminal post was never there. You can reuse the bracket and mount the terminal post, but honestly I just pushed the the cable back and tucked it out of the way.

After removing the power steering pump and mount you must install the smaller bracket that comes with the kit. This is my first dilemma I’ve run into with my set up. I have some nice Holley valve covers that are a little taller than stock! So the wires you have to run behind the bracket are a little tight! But I think everything will be fine. The only other issue I had was a little washer on the factory accessory was just barely rubbing an idler pulley for the supercharger, pretty much removed the washer and everything worked perfectly!

Pinning the crank was a bit scary to me at first, but with the right tool (90° drill) it made it easy to get it done. The pinning kit will come with two sets of pins, one shorter set and one longer set. The shorter set would be used with an ATI Balancer and the longer pins will be used with the OEM harmonic balancer. The jig they put together to drill the holes works as it should and I have no complaints. After installing the lower pulley you just need to install the rest of the bracket according to the instructions, very straight forward. The rest of the install is essentially bolting it together and installing the belt. The lower pulley does require you to extend a coolant line, the instructions called to use a hose barb to extend the line. I used a 90 degree elbow and little longer hose and extended it that way, I found it cleared the pulley nicely that way.

For my catch can I routed it between the valley cover and the intake manifold. I used a check valve in the line to make sure it’s only pulling vacuum from the crankcase. I can confirm this setup has worked and I have drained oil from the can. For the pcv system I routed a vacuum line from the valve cover to the end of the air filter on the supercharger.

Overall I am extremely happy with the supercharger and their customer service. I initially had some concerns/issues with the blower a week after tuning, but Torqstorm is true to their word and got the unit fixed ASAP to get me back on the road! The sounds this thing makes are amazing and turns heads wherever I drive it. The car drives and feels great and I would trust it to go anywhere. I have personally driven the car on 8+ hour trips without issue. The car is not my daily driver but it gets regularly beat each weekend and hasn’t given me any problems besides needing a clutch. But that’s my own fault, running slicks at this power level on a stock clutch its bound to go.

Finally I must say, its odd to me that this supercharger has a bad rep. Anytime it’s brought up on a page or forum its automatically considered cheap or not good. Most have no actual experience with the product first hand, my opinion is you get what you pay for. When you buy this blower you’re getting a good amount of bang for your buck backed by an American company that offers a lifetime warranty. Also a lot people have mentioned that its limited in power, yes its true. This blower probably won’t make 1k hp on your 5th gen Camaro, but it will give you plenty of power for the street and definitely enough to have some fun. I believe the low price reflects the basicness of the kit from them, its purely the blower, BOV, and Brackets. But if you’re resourceful and have the basic tools you can easily finish it out and still not have a huge investment. Another part is that the unit is self contained, meaning it will need to be removed to change the oil. I guess that’s up to you on how you feel. In my opinion it makes the install easier and honestly changing the oil is as simple as removing the belt, unbolting and pulling the supercharger out. A very straight forward process.

Parts I recommend
3”-3.75” Silicone adapter coupling (used for intercooler piping to throttle body)
3” silicone elbow with 6” legs (used for connecting supercharger to intercooler piping)
MAF Housing Adapter (used for MAF sensor on intercooler piping)
Check valve (used for catch can to verify I won’t be pushing air into the crankcase)
Extra T-Bolt clamps
Crimping tool to modify into tool for adding bead to intercooler piping
Afr Gauge
Trap door kit (if you choose to cut a hole instead of dropping fuel tank)

My current set up:
604whp/582wtq on conservative mustang dyno
6.5#’s of boost
Torqstorm Supercharger
Lethal racing night fury cam
Long tube headers
Flow master exhaust
Zl1 fuel pump
72# injectors
NGK TR6 gapped at (.035)
93 octane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Morgan.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:26 PM   #2
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Awesome man! What issue did you have with the SC?

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #3
Morgan.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
Awesome man! What issue did you have with the SC?

Just had some issues with the pulley and some noise I was unsure of. No questions asked they requested I sent it in. Besides shipping it there, it’s cost me nothing and they were extremely fast to get it taken care of. If I remember right it was fixed the day after it arrived, when I got it back everything was good as new! Even came to me in their great packaging haha. I had them install a smaller pulley while they had it too, only took a little bit for the black coating to be done.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
13_SS_RS

Drives: White 2013 SS/RS l99
Wow very nice write up ��makes me want to consider a sc again. Definitely not much out there on the torqstorm so this is great info for the forum. Thanks for taking the time to do the write up!

Current: 2013 summit white Camaro 2SS l99
CAI, long tubes, ported tb, tune

Previous: 2008 jet stream blue Corvette Z06
Airraid, Corsa, MGW shifter SOLD
13_SS_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #5
Morgan.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13_SS_RS View Post
Wow very nice write up ��makes me want to consider a sc again. Definitely not much out there on the torqstorm so this is great info for the forum. Thanks for taking the time to do the write up!

Thanks! And you’re welcome, I’m glad I chose to go this route! You can’t go wrong with a little boost.

Old 10-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #6
Slickcas

Drives: 12' 2SS/RS LS3 IBM
Very nice write up
Slickcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:10 PM   #7
KJZ28

Drives: 2018 Buick Regal TourX
Thank you very much for posting this. I have been wondering about Torqstorm since they came out. I have yet to hear any complaints. Happy to see such a detailed write up. Good job!
SOLD: 2010 2SS/RS L99-A6 K&N CAI, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers, Stainless Works hi-flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back. Tuned by Corvettes of Westchester. 1/LE rear suspension conversion, Bilstein B6 Stuts/shocks.
KJZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:54 PM   #8
slickman
old school muscle car guy

Drives: 2013 Camaro RS/SS 2SS
this post gives me some more confidence in placing a order.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:27 PM   #9
gsxrturbo

Drives: 2010 ss
They look like a good unit,they are only 1200 cfm.but they are a good smaller system.
gsxrturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:07 PM   #10
slickman
old school muscle car guy

Drives: 2013 Camaro RS/SS 2SS
One thing you don't touch on, the ZL1 fuel pump install which is a TON of work from what I have found.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #11
LaN-

Drives: 2014 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickman View Post
One thing you don't touch on, the ZL1 fuel pump install which is a TON of work from what I have found.
The zl1 pump swap is easy. Just need to cut an access hole in the rear seat.
Attached Images

628/525

Suspension: Koni orange, (BMR everything) 1" drop springs, toe rods, trailer arms, non adjustable LCR, FE4 sway bars, sub frame connectors, delrin sub frame bushing and upper control arm bushings. Front bushings.
LaN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:22 AM   #12
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
You can cut if you like. I did not. I had poly rear subframe bushing inserts to put in anyway so it is just a matter of taking out the driveshaft and lowering the subframe. Front bolts all the way out, rear bolts almost all the way out and a jack to support it while you take out the tank. Easier on a lift. On the ground I wouldn't want to do it but it can be done you'd just have to have the car jacked up very very high! Without a lift I would consider cutting the floor I just didn't want to do that to my baby!
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:03 AM   #13
Camaro__ss

Drives: 2013 L99
How is this setup doing now after some miles on it? Any more problems?
Camaro__ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:29 PM   #14
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro__ss View Post
How is this setup doing now after some miles on it? Any more problems?
Not sure about this member, but theres another guy on instagram whos had it, and he just posted it for sale. Only reason Im mentioning it, because he is from San Antonio also. Looked like a kit for $3000. Coincidence?

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote