Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-14-2019, 09:54 AM   #1
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
MyLink Freezing .. updated 10/15/2019

(I Posted this in the audio section as well, but figured I'd get a bigger audiance here.)

{See post #6 for update}

I have a 2013 2SS/RS with the MyLink System. This morning when I started my car, the MyLink came on, but when I went to change functions nothing happened; it was frozen on the USB input with the music playing. None of the controls worked and it would not turn off, when put in reverse, no backup camera (the sensors did work). Here's what I've tried so far:

- Turned car off and let sit for a couple of minutes; once turned back on, it worked fine for a few seconds. I could change to another function, but then it would freeze up again.

- Disconnected the battery and let sit for about a half hour. Same results, could change to another function or shut it off, but then nothing worked.

Would appreciate any advice or suggestions on what to do next. Would also like to know if anyone has replaced the MyLink with an aftermarket set up that allowed them to keep the steeringwheel contols and/or the HUD display options and, if so, what did they replace it with.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Welker2; 10-15-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Welker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:04 PM   #2
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
I have had this happen before. Did you try unplugging whatever was plugged into the usb port? Depending on the device, try resetting it before plugging it back in. I have had this happen with an iPod but unplugging and replugging or resetting the iPod has fixed it.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:37 PM   #3
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
I have had this happen before. Did you try unplugging whatever was plugged into the usb port? Depending on the device, try resetting it before plugging it back in. I have had this happen with an iPod but unplugging and replugging or resetting the iPod has fixed it.
Thanks for the response. I did have an iPod Nano plugged in; unplugged it, pulled the fuse on the radio (again) and still have the same problem. Looking at replacing the factory head unit with a Kenwood that has built in NAV and the iDataLink system from Crutchfield for a little under $1K. I really like the IDataLink system and this looks like a good time to do the 'upgrade'.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #4
foreststone

Drives: 2013 chevy camaro 2LT
You can try disconnect the battery (located in the trunk) briefly to reset the whole MyLink system. I had black screen issue with it before and the battery reset solves the problem.

This trick also solved my HUD freezing problem once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
(I Posted this in the audio section as well, but figured I'd get a bigger audiance here.)

I have a 2013 2SS/RS with the MyLink System. This morning when I started my car, the MyLink came on, but when I went to change functions nothing happened; it was frozen on the USB input with the music playing. None of the controls worked and it would not turn off, when put in reverse, no backup camera (the sensors did work). Here's what I've tried so far:

- Turned car off and let sit for a couple of minutes; once turned back on, it worked fine for a few seconds. I could change to another function, but then it would freeze up again.

- Disconnected the battery and let sit for about a half hour. Same results, could change to another function or shut it off, but then nothing worked.

Would appreciate any advice or suggestions on what to do next. Would also like to know if anyone has replaced the MyLink with an aftermarket set up that allowed them to keep the steeringwheel contols and/or the HUD display options and, if so, what did they replace it with.

Thanks in advance
foreststone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:03 PM   #5
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreststone View Post
You can try disconnect the battery (located in the trunk) briefly to reset the whole MyLink system. I had black screen issue with it before and the battery reset solves the problem.

This trick also solved my HUD freezing problem once.
I left the battery disconnected for over an 1/2 hour .. no luck
Old 10-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #6
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Just a little up date. Tried several things to 'fix' the issue to no avail. Placed an order today with Crutchfield for a Kenwood DNR476 Navigation Receiver and a complete (virtually plug-n-play) iDatalink kit that will not only allow me to keep all my existing functions (steering wheel buttons and HUD display), it will add a few new ones such as on screen gauges and the ability to check ODB codes on screen, as well as clear them. System should be here in a few days (hopefully by this weekend). I will be making a separate post with before and after pics, as well as step by step instructions.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #7
Caniac27

Drives: 2016 Chevy Colorado, Red Rock
Thats awesome! Will be following as i too am interested in this set-up. Hopefully it all works out for ya.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #8
KenKat

It’s cool that you are getting an aftermarket replacement but sad that it has to come to that on a 6 year old car. Mine has been flaky as well and while I’ve been able to work around it so far, it worries me that someday I may not...
Old 10-16-2019, 11:39 AM   #9
mbesman
Great White

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Just a little up date. Tried several things to 'fix' the issue to no avail. Placed an order today with Crutchfield for a Kenwood DNR476 Navigation Receiver and a complete (virtually plug-n-play) iDatalink kit that will not only allow me to keep all my existing functions (steering wheel buttons and HUD display), it will add a few new ones such as on screen gauges and the ability to check ODB codes on screen, as well as clear them. System should be here in a few days (hopefully by this weekend). I will be making a separate post with before and after pics, as well as step by step instructions.
Subscribed..interested in the outcome and maybe you can snap pics or do a vid of install would be great
Old 10-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #10
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
It’s cool that you are getting an aftermarket replacement but sad that it has to come to that on a 6 year old car. Mine has been flaky as well and while I’ve been able to work around it so far, it worries me that someday I may not...
The original MyLink GM put in the 2013s is a piece of crap. First, for those of us like myself that do a lot of traveling across the US, having the NAV tied to OnStar and being forced to have a subscription if you want to us it sucks; I've been using a Garmin since my free trial expired. Next there are several known/documented issues with the system. I've experienced the screen blacking out, intermittent rear camera function failure and now the complete failure. Given this, even if it were still under warranty, I would not want to replace it with another one.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #11
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbesman View Post
Subscribed..interested in the outcome and maybe you can snap pics or do a vid of install would be great
The system will be here tomorrow and I plan on installing it this weekend with a little assist from my granddaughter. My plan is to take a lot of pictures and documenting the install with a focus on any potential 'difficult' areas not covered in the instructions provided by Crutchfield or an excellent YouTube video I found on installing the iDataLink. All this will be posted in a thread dedicated to the install; I will also be including copies of all the instructions provided by Crutchfield and a link to the video I found.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #12
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Interested here as well on the results of the aftermarket system. My 15 SS screen has froze up a few times, but I always seem to get around it
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:55 PM   #13
KenKat

Crutchfield instructions are usually really good so hopefully it will go smoothly
Old 10-16-2019, 04:03 PM   #14
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
ive been lucky with mine so far but curious how difficult the install is just in case...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote