Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 03-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #15
Velociraptor

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT in Black
When or in what situations can we use the + or -? Please don't just say to downshift or upshift. Specificity is greatly appreciated.
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #16
Aieaboy
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 IBM 1LT RS
Hahahaha. I'm such a tool. I've had my Camaro for 4 MONTHS and just figured out the difference between D & S modes. Love the S mode!
Aieaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:02 AM   #17
H3LL1ON
H3LL1ON

Drives: 2010 1LT Camaro Synergy Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
When or in what situations can we use the + or -? Please don't just say to downshift or upshift. Specificity is greatly appreciated.

Well you could use the downshifting as engine braking for steep hills etc and use the lower gears with higher rpm for climbing etc.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:01 AM   #18
Strungoutesp
Jawesome

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT RS
So glad I peeped this thread... got my 2LT on Tuesday and I just had more fun driving in 20 minutes than I've had all week with it. Love this ride
Old 04-04-2011, 07:18 AM   #19
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
+ to upshift
- to downshift

Use the + paddle if you want a higher RPM shift point than the auto gives you, and use the - paddle if you want compression braking when slowing down going into a corner.

If you have never driven a manual, maybe just leave the paddles alone and let the car shift for you.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:19 AM   #20
Black&orange

Drives: 2SS/RS/A6/BLK
how about when you put it in stablitrack competitive mode??? it says it when you hit traction control twice
Old 04-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #21
kennyo

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
I just drove my daughter back and forth to her house on the expwy. yesterday(20 miles each way).Going I had it in S mode and averaged 17 -18 mpg.Leaving I put it in D mode and averaged 22-24 mpg(70 mph on cruise control both ways).That fuel management system does make a difference on gas.My charger had the same system ,but I could not stand using it cause of the drone noise it emitted.Haven't noticed that noise on the camaro.Still more fun to use S mode or M mode,but if your taking a long trip D is the way to go.
kennyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #22
Bumblebee10
Bumblebee10

Drives: 2011 2LT Red Jewel RS Automatic
I'm still confused with my V6. It is an Auto. If I switch it to "M" mode and not touch the paddles...and still floor it....will the gears switch by themselves or will I blow the engine by over redlining it? Is the "sport" mode when you put it to "M" but not use the paddles?
Old 07-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #23
Future MDPilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee10 View Post
I'm still confused with my V6. It is an Auto. If I switch it to "M" mode and not touch the paddles...and still floor it....will the gears switch by themselves or will I blow the engine by over redlining it? Is the "sport" mode when you put it to "M" but not use the paddles?
Sport mode is automatic shifting when you put it on "M" WITHOUT TOUCHING THE PADDLES. It is more responsive and shifts at higher RPMs and therefore is, well, sportier (and funner).

When you touch a paddle, it turns into manual and tap-shift. Then you will blow the engine . Also, if you have HUD it will show "S" if in sport, "D" in drive and the gear ie 1,2,3 in tap-shift.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #24
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I drive mine in "S" most of the time. It is more responsive & decisive. It makes my permagrin bigger. Sometimes it seems like it can't decide which gear to be in & shifts up & down quickly in "M" & I don't like that; not sure why.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #25
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future MDPilot View Post
Sport mode is automatic shifting when you put it on "M" WITHOUT TOUCHING THE PADDLES. It is more responsive and shifts at higher RPMs and therefore is, well, sportier (and funner).

When you touch a paddle, it turns into manual and tap-shift. Then you will blow the engine . Also, if you have HUD it will show "S" if in sport, "D" in drive and the gear ie 1,2,3 in tap-shift.
Don't worry, you won't blow the engine. It won't let you make a shift that would "blow the engine", or even come close to doing any damage (by your shifting anyway).
Old 07-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #26
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Don't worry, you won't blow the engine. It won't let you make a shift that would "blow the engine", or even come close to doing any damage (by your shifting anyway).
Plus just because I wanted to see if the car would do it if you redline the car, which technically you can't do the car will stutter for a second and shift up regardless of driver intervention. Just incase you know you forget you're in Manual Mode. This car won't let you blow the engine unless you do something absolutely insane.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #27
Devon
Highway Man

Drives: '10 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
Plus just because I wanted to see if the car would do it if you redline the car, which technically you can't do the car will stutter for a second and shift up regardless of driver intervention. Just incase you know you forget you're in Manual Mode. This car won't let you blow the engine unless you do something absolutely insane.
Weird. Mine will just bounce off the rev limiter, but will not upshift for me. I must be doin' it wrong. Maybe I've just never let it redline long enough.

Roto-Fab Intake
Tuned by dynosteve @ RDP
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #28
Bumblebee10
Bumblebee10

Drives: 2011 2LT Red Jewel RS Automatic
cool, thanks....I still only have 300 miles on it so I am going to be careful for another 700 miles. When I had the 2010, I think one time I let it get up too high and could squear it got into the red. But I remember now....as long as I don't touch the paddles, it will switch just right.