Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-24-2011, 01:40 AM   #99
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Let's all take a breath for a second.

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Let's try this again.

It sounds like GM is claiming that "Motors Liquidation Company" (Old GM) is responsible for this mess because Motors Liquidation Company build the cars, not GM.

Let's take all the business crap out of this discussion and look at the problem

Wait a minute. Reuters didn't even discuss what was really wrong with these Impalas. They said something caused tire wear, but they didn't ask GM or a mechanic to explain the problem, a solution, or whether other vehicles have been known to have this problem as well. Isn't that interesting? It reads like this whole article is designed to smear GM, and here it is on a pro-GM website. Nobody likes lawyers, and there's a whole bunch of legal junk in there instead of any real explanation of what's happening.

What do I think? I love GM, but GM isn't in the clear for me. I'm no arbitrary fanboy. GM should fix these cars, but they should be fixed for free only if they are under warranty, just like the rest of us. Guess what. 2007-2008 Impalas have a 3-year/36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty. My guess is that at this point, when 2012 vehicles are on the streets, that these vehicles are out of warranty.

If there is some mysterious suspension problem that Reuters is too lazy to report, they should at least do their journalistic research. It sounds like they went to a lawyer, asked a bunch of questions about legal procedure and precedent, and ignored why there was a lawsuit at all.

If you're all going to get really angry at someone, try getting more aggressive toward the news media who misrepresented our brand for pure evil.

If this is a defect in the construction, it warrants a recall. It doesn't matter if the car is out of warranty, it should be covered by the manufacturer. In this case, it appears GM is backing out of calling this a defect requiring it to have a recall. In essence they are denying it to be a problem at all other than basic wear and tear perhaps. First of all, this issue has caused all the buyers of these vehicles who have exhibited early tire wear to spend more money than they should have on new tires, and would have worse gas mileage as a result over time. If an owner is not on top of rotating their tires and filling them up properly with air, then this problem could lead to an accident when it blows. Even if this isn't a safety issue requiring an immediate recall, it would have been covered under old GM in the same way other recalls have. GM should quickly resolve this issue and simply call this a recall and make all those old GM faithfuls see new GM in a positive light. Losing actual GM owner/customers over this is not a smart business practice, no matter how much money you lose in the short term. Take a look at Toyota as an example with the pedal sticking issue.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:42 AM   #100
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Agreed. Everyone here is going berserk about the details left off by the reporter. Granted, we know that most media is completely distorted these days and we should not trust much of what they opine when they start throwing in adjectives like "Radical" and "Controversial" when they talk about certain things. They lie often through omission or commission, so take some things with a grain of salt.

That being said, the offending point of the article is not if there was a serious defect or not or what the defect even is. Who cares? That's not the sticking point. The problem is that GM said "Oh that is not OUR problem. You need to sue the OLD company!"

Their slimy excuse for not doing the repairs is what people are taking issue with.

I think I would have been more satisfied if they had simply said "This problem is not serious and not life threatening. We do not feel we are obligated to fix this minor issue."

Instead we get a weasle words response. "Old GM's fault!!!'

THAT is why people are upset.
Agreed I posted my message above this without reading your response. What I'd like to know is how many owners are actively involved. I'm pretty sure once this story gets out, owners of affected impala's would realize they are going thru tires much more rapidly than they should and jump aboard. GM's PR team needs to jump into gear before this gets out of control, which it can once it hits one of the major news stations or 60 minutes. If this is ignored, it could disappear, however why take that risk if you are GM.