Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #71

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Amazing how a $75K car can go from a 10K (85K) or more mark-up to 54K from one day to the next....a 31K swing for example, basically overnight....

This sort of thing basically kills any last vestige of credibility or believable argument that dealers and the factory may have had regarding pricing and msrp when a customer's offer is turned down as not enough to buy the car....lol...

I know somebody will praise capitalism, free-enterprise, and consumer's choices, etc., blah, blah...but to me this puts dealers and car pricing at the top of the all time joke list again (that is if it ever was not at the top....lol)...

Congrats to all who buy one with this deal....It should be a good learning experience for the rest of us...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #72
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Drives: 1969 Dusk Blue Z/28, 2015 Red Z/28
Will pick up Friday, had to wait for my color to come around

http://www.autonationchevroletgilber...-AZ/2361410123
Old 12-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #73
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Problem is that the msrp was set too high and the dealers have too much power to mark them up. I like how Dodge has tried to solve this issue with allotments. If the car sits and doesn't sell then you don't get anymore. Those dealers that sell them get more.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #74
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Anyone who didn't see this happening was lying to themselves. Just like c7 Z06 will be 20k off sticker this time next year.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #75
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Anyone who didn't see this happening was lying to themselves. Just like c7 Z06 will be 20k off sticker this time next year.
I will take solace in is a Z28 is a very limited purpose car, whereas a Z06 with its creature comforts is more mainstream. I think 10-20 years from now it will be looked upon favorably. I realize its just a farkin Camaro, but a special one nonetheless. Kind of like a lot of cars that came out nobody wanted when they were available such as Tri Power Big Blocks, Z-11's, 409's that everyone would kill for now.

As far as the price its trading for now, its where it should have been in the first place, and right in line with the first whisper numbers before it came out
Old 12-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #76
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy View Post
Will pick up Friday, had to wait for my color to come around

http://www.autonationchevroletgilber...-AZ/2361410123
Wow! Sweet and congrats! That thing looks nice!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #77
ZL1 Spoked

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy View Post
I will take solace in is a Z28 is a very limited purpose car, whereas a Z06 with its creature comforts is more mainstream. I think 10-20 years from now it will be looked upon favorably. I realize its just a farkin Camaro, but a special one nonetheless. Kind of like a lot of cars that came out nobody wanted when they were available such as Tri Power Big Blocks, Z-11's, 409's that everyone would kill for now.

As far as the price its trading for now, its where it should have been in the first place, and right in line with the first whisper numbers before it came out
Unfortunately it won't be valued at all in the future. It used an old engine, the same brakes, overpriced.. A car drops 20k off sticker on the same production year, no one in hell will pay more than that in 10 years.

604 RWHP 602 LBS/TQ
ZL1 Spoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #78
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
On one hand, Cadillac is trying to keep prices on par with its competitors, even if it means losing sales, on the other hand, GM is throwing huge discounts not even seen in 2007 before deep recession (but seen during), tarnishing the brand image.

Obviously, cheaper prices are better for us consumers, but a part of me feels bad about the hurt brand image, and all the trash talk it enables of luxury brand loyalists whose car knowledge is based on cliches.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #79
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 Spoked View Post
Unfortunately it won't be valued at all in the future. It used an old engine, the same brakes, overpriced.. A car drops 20k off sticker on the same production year, no one in hell will pay more than that in 10 years.
Not saying that I'll ever make $$ off one (couldn't care less), but you're not giving the car enough credit. Its a purpose built car with tuned suspension and specific tires mated to it, along with many parts specific to it. I could go on and on, only because I know a couple guys at GM that made it their passion to make it as good as they could make it, tested it relentlessly, and still produce it on a production basis. If anything was dropped in and parts borrowed it was the venerable ZL1 which the Z28 will run circles around on a track. The ZL1 is in the same boat value wise as well the last 2 weeks dropping 15 grand.

I'm just glad the car got produced and look forward to owning one at the right price IMO
Old 12-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #80
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Quote:

GM might just can the Z In a gen 6 after the miss on these, but it won't tarnish them at all. It's been 45 years since you could get a factory 427 in a camaro,now like then it had to play second fiddle not to steal Vette thunder. If memory serves just about all of the Fred Gibb cars were returned to the dealer, or found in fields a few years later. The ZL1 option was equal to the price of the car, bet they lost money on those too. Many similarities between the two shaping up already,which doesn't mean they are investment grade cars, but look what the Ford GT's are doing and they are less than a decade old. Just like the first gens, these were purpose built, and dominated the Conti championship this year like those did in T/A back in the day. This car officially closes chapter of normally aspirated chevy performance, FI till the end of time from here on. The gen 5 Z is the last of a vanishing breed. JMHO[/QUOTE]
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #81
chimazo

Drives: 2016 Ram
Quote:
Though I think you're right about 10yrs, 20+yrs? Maybe not. Here's why:

Extremely rare, with only 440 retail units being made in '14.
Fastest track times for any sub $100k car.
Last car to use legendary LS7, likely the last "big" engine made by GM (think LS6 back in 1970).
First and only regular production car to ever use the MultiMatic DSSV dampers (only other car was the Aston Martin One-77 @ $1.5mil).
Largest brakes ever fitted to a ponycar, and only application or carbon ceramic rotors in same.
These along with many other unique features (thinner rear glass!) will contribute to the *potential* value of the car in the future. Many cars, including the early 70's Mopar Hemi's, Superbirds, and even the '87 Buick GNX ($11k more than regular GN, and 547 made) were sold off at discount.
'15 Challenger Hellcat M6 *SOLD*
'16 Charger 392 Scat Pack - daily driver *SOLD*
'14 Z/28 #309, White, no A/C *traded in*
'11 GS Corvette w/Si V3, 606rwhp/521rwtq *traded in*
'07 GT500 w/TVS, 685rwhp/664rwtq*traded in*
'02 Z06 w/P1SC, 562rwhp/467rwtq*SOLD*
chimazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:50 PM   #82
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zslash28 View Post
There is one to be learned and it is: if you are greedy with your flag ship cars and they don't sell, daddy GM will bail you out at the end of the year.
If you did a search from the beginning of this program, you would find the number of Z/28s qualifying for this pricing is a very small % of the total number of Camaros that qualify.

Somehow, this discussion has swung to try and paint the Z/28 as some sort of "failure" in the marketplace. Such is NOT the case. Well over 50% of production, thus far, has been sold at or near (either side) of MSRP. A few dealers tried to take advantage of the small number produced so far...and have NOW been "rewarded" for their efforts. This is not a bailout but, in fact, a market correction, in pricing AND in inventory levels. The fact that you, as a consumer, are allowed this extraordinary opportunity to buy a Z/28 under this program is GM's way of sustaining momentum in a "winter" market (generally much slower sales in a large portion of the country), in the face of "what lies ahead".

Dealers with few(er) units sitting in inventory are bound to fresh-order more. That sustains the momentum in, and from, the factory, and sustains the momentum at dealer levels by presenting new(er) fresh(er) units.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #83
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
So you don't think this car will be high price seller in the future?
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #84
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVEN-OH JOE View Post
If you did a search from the beginning of this program, you would find the number of Z/28s qualifying for this pricing is a very small % of the total number of Camaros that qualify.

Somehow, this discussion has swung to try and paint the Z/28 as some sort of "failure" in the marketplace. Such is NOT the case. Well over 50% of production, thus far, has been sold at or near (either side) of MSRP. A few dealers tried to take advantage of the small number produced so far...and have NOW been "rewarded" for their efforts. This is not a bailout but, in fact, a market correction, in pricing AND in inventory levels. The fact that you, as a consumer, are allowed this extraordinary opportunity to buy a Z/28 under this program is GM's way of sustaining momentum in a "winter" market (generally much slower sales in a large portion of the country), in the face of "what lies ahead".

Dealers with few(er) units sitting in inventory are bound to fresh-order more. That sustains the momentum in, and from, the factory, and sustains the momentum at dealer levels by presenting new(er) fresh(er) units.
No matter how you see it, the genie is now out of the bottle that these cars can go with such a big discount when market dictates. No one with sane mind would want to pay MSRP, or even close to it, even after this sale ends.

I'm sure whoever paid MSRP in summer will not do so again next time; lesson learned for many. 20% discount damages the brand - period.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote