Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
Purdue2011SS
Boiler Up!! POTFH

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM Camaro
Installed my new CAI!

Ordered my CAI for my 2011 2SS from Apex-Speed (who's a C5 forum sponsor) last week and installed it a couple days ago. I was a little hesitant to install it myself as I don't know much about putting things together in a car engine, but gave it a stab and ended up not being too bad of a install. Took a while though for me as I was very careful putting it together trying not to mess anything up.

A couple small issues though - I couldn't get the bottom screw on the MAF sensor because it's such a hard location to get the screw in and then to use a Aaron wrench to tighten it. It's tight with the one screw which I'm assuming is fine since the MAF sensor doesn't wiggle or anything. Also, one of the screws on the lid for the Air Filter box won't stay locked in. Again, that's hard to do since you can't pull the screw out and look down to line up the hole, so the lid is just secured with 2 of the 3 screws right now. Also, it seems the design is a bit flawed because the 4" pipe doesn't enter the filter enclosure directly - it's a bit crooked, but as long as it gets the job done then I guess that's how it is.

As far as performance, I can def. tell a difference in a) sound and b) power. Even with the muffler delete I had done previously, it sounds meaner when I punch it (especially in 1st and 2nd gear - it's bada**!). Also when I punch it I can notice a little more of a kick and power being generated. Overall I'm very satisfied with it, and looks great when the hood is open

Just a couple pics below:
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
bill2129
Account Suspended

Drives: 2085 Trans AM COBRA
I like it. It came with a little box to protect the filter? I never seen that in my life
bill2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
Purdue2011SS
Boiler Up!! POTFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2129 View Post
I like it. It came with a little box to protect the filter? I never seen that in my life
i think CAI is the only one that has that...looks nicer and protects the filter more from dust and other particles that could get in it
Old 07-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
I, too got my CAI Inc intake from Apex Chase. Awesome product, well worth the price and an easy install - did it myself!!
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue2011SS View Post
i think CAI is the only one that has that...looks nicer and protects the filter more from dust and other particles that could get in it
Many intakes are like that including Rotofab or Volant. With Volant the filter is already installed in the box.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Purdue2011SS
Boiler Up!! POTFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
Many intakes are like that including Rotofab or Volant. With Volant the filter is already installed in the box.

ok, well i guess i just havent seen any members here w/ pictures of them
Old 07-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Ordered my CAI for my 2011 2SS from Apex-Speed (who's a C5 forum sponsor) last week and installed it a couple days ago. I was a little hesitant to install it myself as I don't know much about putting things together in a car engine, but gave it a stab and ended up not being too bad of a install. Took a while though for me as I was very careful putting it together trying not to mess anything up.

A couple small issues though - I couldn't get the bottom screw on the MAF sensor because it's such a hard location to get the screw in and then to use a Aaron wrench to tighten it. It's tight with the one screw which I'm assuming is fine since the MAF sensor doesn't wiggle or anything. Also, one of the screws on the lid for the Air Filter box won't stay locked in. Again, that's hard to do since you can't pull the screw out and look down to line up the hole, so the lid is just secured with 2 of the 3 screws right now. Also, it seems the design is a bit flawed because the 4" pipe doesn't enter the filter enclosure directly - it's a bit crooked, but as long as it gets the job done then I guess that's how it is.

As far as performance, I can def. tell a difference in a) sound and b) power. Even with the muffler delete I had done previously, it sounds meaner when I punch it (especially in 1st and 2nd gear - it's bada**!). Also when I punch it I can notice a little more of a kick and power being generated. Overall I'm very satisfied with it, and looks great when the hood is open

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniacFan View Post
I, too got my CAI Inc intake from Apex Chase. Awesome product, well worth the price and an easy install - did it myself!!
Thanks to both of you for your orders and the mention.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
bill2129
Account Suspended

Drives: 2085 Trans AM COBRA
Quote:
Yeah the box is a good idea. I like your car BTW. Im a fan of that color. After I get some money saved up thats the one im getting
bill2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:

I am glad you are happy with your purchase!! Just to address a few of the issues you made mention to:

1. You are supposed to attach the MAF sensor to the tube before installing the rest of the tube, that way you can get to both screws with an allen wrench. I believe the directions call it out in the correct order so that you don't have limited access to the screws that you experienced.

2. The lid is not securing with all 3 screws because you have it resting on top of the fender as opposed to resting inside of the groove between the fender and the inner fender well. I can see it installed incorrectly in your photo, once you get the lid positioned in that groove correctly all 3 screws will work correctly. One of the figures in the instructions shows how to position it correctly.

3. The filter entering the box at a slight angle is not a design flaw, it was designed like that intentionally. We have it entering the box at a 10 degree angle, this allowed us to get the best bend possible on the intake tube to maximize performance. Testing the flow of the intake tube helped us make that decision. The angle in which it enters the box had no bearing on performance where as if it entered the box at 90 degrees the intake tube would have been negatively effected. Basically everything about the design was engineered for a reason and is tested.

Thanks again for choosing CAI Inc.! I hope the items I mentioned above will answer some of your concerns and allow you to make the appropriate adjustments so that the system is installed correctly. Feel free to contact me directly if you need further assistance.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #10
chevyfan#1
I Love my new Camaro!!

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:

Lokks great man!! I have the same CAI and love it!! Great looking Camaro!!
chevyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Thanks!! Not only does the enclosed system help keep the filter clean, but more than that it helps keep the intake air cool. The box is sealed off from the engine bay to block heat, and also has an insulation barrier added inside for an added layer of thermal protection. Even thogh its enclosed, the clear view window on top still allows for fast filter inspection!
Old 07-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #12
kr juice 1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
Nice! I installed mine two weeks ago and I am impressed with the overall product. It was mega easy to install, and mpg's have deffinetly improved. The sound is amazing CAI INC. did a great job making hits product. I have had other cai's in other vehicles and things had to be cut and modified this fit right in I loved it. OP hope you enjoy it congrats!
kr juice 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #13
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr juice 1 View Post
Nice! I installed mine two weeks ago and I am impressed with the overall product. It was mega easy to install, and mpg's have deffinetly improved. The sound is amazing CAI INC. did a great job making hits product. I have had other cai's in other vehicles and things had to be cut and modified this fit right in I loved it. OP hope you enjoy it congrats!
Glad to hear you are happy with our system, thank you for choosing CAI Inc!
Old 07-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #14
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
I have a ADM scoop with my Black CAI. I love it. I have 8K on mine and I just checked the filter the other day and it was not that dirty. Great system.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote