Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Was lucky enough to test drive both models

Dealer in the area was kind enough to throw me the keys to a manual 1 LT RS and a fully loaded 2SS auto last night. Just from these test ride's all the things i wasnt sure about was answered driving these cars. The difference in power you can tell but its not like the old days being a monster difference. That V6 is one hell of a motor best bargin out there for the money easy. There is no doubt in my mind some of the SS owners would have got the V6 over the SS as its plenty of motor but couldnt take a test ride as a lot of dealerships arent letting test drive's. I see a lot of posts for guys worried about not enough power for a heavy car like the camaro rest assured you will be happy trust me on that. My only gripe im still struggling is the sound of a V6 for a car like this. Its growing on me though very quickly. A couple other quick things that i wasnt sure about from the test ride's is the sunroof isnt happening with this car. It just wrecks the beautiful lines of the roof losing your reverse mohawk and auto just takes all the fun away for me anyways driving this car. Manual unless you have bad knee's or lots and lots of traffic only way to fly imo. Also victory red is simply amazing in person much more so then in picture's

Last edited by Thrillz; 08-06-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
calflan

Drives: 1LT; IBM; 6 Spd Manual
Good to know. I may have an opportunity very soon to drive the V8 and looking forward to it. The V6 has not disappointed me at all, but I truly believe the V8 will become a collector's item in a short time. To me, for that kind of power, there is no car made that competes. I like the V6 for a few good 'daily driver' reasons though. If the Camaro was to be my second car, I'd likley have opted for a V8, although the price can be a bit stiff.
I have a sunroof too and love that too. Not disappointed at all with this car. I just passed 1500 miles and am now starting to get on the car a bit to see what the engine is capable of and am very pleasantly surprised.
Still so curious to drive the V8 though. Thanks for posting, good info and comments. Best of luck to you !
1LT; Airaid CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder Axelback; Int Floor Lts; RS Spoiler; Radio Controls; Sequential tail lights; Oil Catch Can; VMAX Throttle Body; MACE plenum spacer; Mace manifold insulator[/I]
calflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
EarliestMemory
RED HT RS

Drives: 10 VR 2LT/RS Camaro, 06 Harley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
Manual unless you have bad knee's or lots and lots of traffic only way to fly imo. Also victory red is simply amazing in person much more so then in picture's
As a happy owner of a Victory Red, V6 manual, I have to agree! Also about the sound - it's kinda meh (My '99 Firebird sounds better IMO), but the Camaro's quiet ride will be great for long trips.

Thanks for sharing your take on driving both, I've wondered how much more powerful the SS feels. Mine is a DD so the V6 was the best value for me.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
prostock69
Female Muscle Car Nut!

Drives: 2010 RS/SS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Dealer in the area was kind enough to throw me the keys to a manual 1 LT RS and a fully loaded 2SS auto last night. Just from these test ride's all the things i wasnt sure about was answered driving these cars. The difference in power you can tell but its not like the old days being a monster difference. That V6 is one hell of a motor best bargin out there for the money easy. There is no doubt in my mind some of the SS owners would have got the V6 over the SS as its plenty of motor but couldnt take a test ride as a lot of dealerships arent letting test drive's. I see a lot of posts for guys worried about not enough power for a heavy car like the camaro rest assured you will be happy trust me on that. My only gripe im still struggling is the sound of a V6 for a car like this. Its growing on me though very quickly. A couple other quick things that i wasnt sure about from the test ride's is the sunroof isnt happening with this car. It just wrecks the beautiful lines of the roof losing your reverse mohawk and auto just takes all the fun away for me anyways driving this car. Manual unless you have bad knee's or lots and lots of traffic only way to fly imo. Also victory red is simply amazing in person much more so then in picture's
Regarding the sunroof, the main reason why we are getting it is it allows light into the car. Otherwise, it's too dark for my taste. Everycar I've had has had a sunroof. We sat in an SS w/ no sunroof and hated it.

MODS: Borla "S" Type Exhaust, American Racing Headers 3" Longtubes, New Era Cold Air Intake, HP Tune, Custom Ground Camshaft, Professionally Ported Heads by Darin Morgan, Ported Throttle Body, 3000 Stall Converter, and 160 Degree Thermostat.

http://www.rehermorrison.com/; http://www.darinmorgan.com/; http://www.neweraperformance.com/
prostock69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
bluedevil02

Drives: 2LT/RS
cool write up brotha, thanks! can't wait to get mine!
bluedevil02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
RnRKimaro
Hell's Belle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS, 04 C5 Corvette
yes I agree & also drove both.
RnRKimaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
So which do you prefer??
Old 08-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
69 Hugger

Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
I'm going to test drive mine when it comes in next week, I just hope it runs as good as it looks. Kind of crazy to me not to be able to test drive one, not keeping the showroom cars is another thing that I didn't understand. I get it why dealers that were being shut down got rid of theirs.
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #9
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
So which do you prefer??

If i was ordering today most likely 90% chance the 1SS but since its going to be a daily driver i wouldnt mind the costs of the 2LT RS. Im hoping that the cash for clunkers comes into play in Canada before i do anything.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #10
Teddydog

Drives: 21 LT1 RS M6 in SSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock69 View Post
Regarding the sunroof, the main reason why we are getting it is it allows light into the car. Otherwise, it's too dark for my taste. Everycar I've had has had a sunroof. We sat in an SS w/ no sunroof and hated it.
That's why I like a sunroof, too. Have them in our Mazda and Passat and have ordered it in my 2LT. I use the vent position a lot, but don't open it all the way very often. But just having the interior slide open makes the whole car feel lighter and more open.

Rob
Teddydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:17 AM   #11
bluman

Drives: '10 Corvette GS/'13 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by calflan View Post
Good to know. I may have an opportunity very soon to drive the V8 and looking forward to it. The V6 has not disappointed me at all, but I truly believe the V8 will become a collector's item in a short time. To me, for that kind of power, there is no car made that competes. I like the V6 for a few good 'daily driver' reasons though. If the Camaro was to be my second car, I'd likley have opted for a V8, although the price can be a bit stiff.
I have a sunroof too and love that too. Not disappointed at all with this car. I just passed 1500 miles and am now starting to get on the car a bit to see what the engine is capable of and am very pleasantly surprised.
Still so curious to drive the V8 though. Thanks for posting, good info and comments. Best of luck to you !

A collector's car ??????
almost 40,000 built !
2010 Camaro SIM/CGM RS/2LT VIN #310 SOLD

2010 Corvette Grand Sport
bluman is offline   Reply With Quote