Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-22-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
awdmofo
V6 banger

Drives: 2016 Lexus CT200H
2013 LS M6 rear diff fluid

I have 76k miles on my 13 V6 6-speed manual Camaro. I believe the rear diff fluid is recommended by GM to be replaced at 60K. Has anyone done it before and what fluid was used? I don't mind paying for the high price of GM fluid, just not sure if there is another aftermarket that is recommended for my car. After some tuning, more bolt on parts I'd assume the HP would be in the 380-390 range (flywheel not to the wheels). Any help would be great, thanks!
Elite E2 catch can, CAI intake, 2.5" SLP Loudmouth II mufflers with no resonators with an X pipe, Kenny Racing ported TB, Jacfab spacer and ported manifold and Accelerated Racing E85 octane dyno tune = 300WHP

Special Thanks to... Jason@JacFab, ChibBlackSheep, Kenny Racing & Accelerated Racing (use to be in) Rancho Cucamonga CA.
awdmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:30 PM   #2
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
You should have done this fluid about 70,000 miles ago. That stock stuff was DISGUSTING after a few thousand miles.

I change mine every other spring, it's super easy to do. You'll need 1qt of 75w-90 gear oil and a bottle of GM posi fluid. (https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-88900.../dp/B0028CMPIS)

You should do the transmission fluid at the same time. It uses the same 75w-90 fluid that you decide to use in the diff. You'll need about 2qts for the trans.

I went with Mobil 1. You can choose whatever full-synthetic 75w-90 that you want.

In the end, your check-list would be:
3 qts of 75w-90 gear oil. (4 if you want to be on the safe side and might spill some)
4oz of GM additive
1 pump to move the oil.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:41 PM   #3
chevyderek72

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
I used Mobil 1 gear oil and just did mine today. Ramps on the rear and jackstands for the front. Both axle and tranny were easy but a learning experience. 3 quarts filled both perfect with the friction modifier for the axle.
chevyderek72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
I used Royal Purple. Had the Diff and Tranny done at the same time.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:20 PM   #5
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I prefer Redline GL5 75W-90 for my trans and differential. Works like a charm.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:33 PM   #6
zoutlawss

Drives: 2018 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post

I second the Royal Purple and did it myself. easy job
zoutlawss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:14 AM   #7
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Lucas non-synthetic.
And it's never to late to change it.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:55 PM   #8
awdmofo
V6 banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
You should have done this fluid about 70,000 miles ago. That stock stuff was DISGUSTING after a few thousand miles.

I change mine every other spring, it's super easy to do. You'll need 1qt of 75w-90 gear oil and a bottle of GM posi fluid. (https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-88900.../dp/B0028CMPIS)

You should do the transmission fluid at the same time. It uses the same 75w-90 fluid that you decide to use in the diff. You'll need about 2qts for the trans.

I went with Mobil 1. You can choose whatever full-synthetic 75w-90 that you want.

In the end, your check-list would be:
3 qts of 75w-90 gear oil. (4 if you want to be on the safe side and might spill some)
4oz of GM additive
1 pump to move the oil.
Sheep, great info thanks as always . I was thinking of just getting https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-40...lon+oil+75w-90 since its original to the car. Thoughts? I don't mind spending a little more to keep the fluids the way the engineers meant it you know. Im afraid what the rear diff will look like when I drain it . might pump some fluid through the diff to catch any nasty stuff in there before I fill it up, thought for the price just get a gallon.
Elite E2 catch can, CAI intake, 2.5" SLP Loudmouth II mufflers with no resonators with an X pipe, Kenny Racing ported TB, Jacfab spacer and ported manifold and Accelerated Racing E85 octane dyno tune = 300WHP

Special Thanks to... Jason@JacFab, ChibBlackSheep, Kenny Racing & Accelerated Racing (use to be in) Rancho Cucamonga CA.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:00 PM   #9
awdmofo
V6 banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
switching to Royal purple for the engine oil next oil change, used it on my turbo toyotas and stock tacoma and loved it. Never used any other fluids of theirs though, i imagine its good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
I prefer Redline GL5 75W-90 for my trans and differential. Works like a charm.
My buddy i believe is a distributor for them, might look into redline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Lucas non-synthetic.
And it's never to late to change it.
they make non-synthetic?

Old 01-28-2018, 03:20 PM   #10
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdmofo View Post
Sheep, great info thanks as always . I was thinking of just getting https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-40...lon+oil+75w-90 since its original to the car. Thoughts? I don't mind spending a little more to keep the fluids the way the engineers meant it you know. Im afraid what the rear diff will look like when I drain it . might pump some fluid through the diff to catch any nasty stuff in there before I fill it up, thought for the price just get a gallon.
Not a bad deal, and nothing wrong with sticking to ACDelco. Honestly just keep up on swapping this fluid out, you will see how easy it is to do, and just do it every other year or at least every 30,000 miles.

As long as your rear-end isn't howling, you shouldn't need to do a "flush" to it. Just make sure you clean the magnet well, and do a few figure-8s after you put the diff fluid in to get it moving all around.

And make sure you wear gloves and hold your breath... this stuff stinks!

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #11
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
I've been putting this off for a year. Thinking it would be hard and messy.

Just did it yesterday on my SS M6, trans and diff. Super easy. Hardest part is getting the car up on jackstands, then operating the little pump I bought to pump in the new juice to my transmission. It was a little messy, but that was my bad for missing the mark to catch the trans fluid

I had to use ATF for the SS M6 trans fluid, I used amsoil for that. I used Mobile 1 75-90 LS for the diff, with a little GM ls additive.

Wow, shifting is much improved, very much needed. I'm still not thrilled with the diff performance, but at least I know the fluid is fresh. I had the usual accumulation of metal on the magnetic plugs. I've got an eaton truetrack waiting to go in when I find a good shop to do it.
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:37 PM   #12
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
And make sure you wear gloves and hold your breath... this stuff stinks!
You're not kidding. That was some funky smelling stuff.

My 9 year old was "assisting" me in the garage and he was gagging from the smell. But he stuck it out
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #13
awdmofo
V6 banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkevind View Post
I've been putting this off for a year. Thinking it would be hard and messy.

Just did it yesterday on my SS M6, trans and diff. Super easy. Hardest part is getting the car up on jackstands, then operating the little pump I bought to pump in the new juice to my transmission. It was a little messy, but that was my bad for missing the mark to catch the trans fluid

I had to use ATF for the SS M6 trans fluid, I used amsoil for that. I used Mobile 1 75-90 LS for the diff, with a little GM ls additive.

Wow, shifting is much improved, very much needed. I'm still not thrilled with the diff performance, but at least I know the fluid is fresh. I had the usual accumulation of metal on the magnetic plugs. I've got an eaton truetrack waiting to go in when I find a good shop to do it.
Yea it's time for me to do it, with school and work and life i'm neglecting the car I spent soo much to buy 11 months ago . I got the GM additive from Amazon for cheap, but I've been reading that most of the 75w90 gear oils have the friction modifier already in them. Did the mobile 1 have it in it? Was thinking of redline, amsoil or royal purple for the trans....

Old 03-17-2018, 07:04 PM   #14
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdmofo View Post
switching to Royal purple for the engine oil next oil change, used it on my turbo toyotas and stock tacoma and loved it. Never used any other fluids of theirs though, i imagine its good stuff.

My buddy i believe is a distributor for them, might look into redline.

they make non-synthetic?

I've had two friends spin rod bearings with royal purple. I'll never waste money on it. Redline all day for me.