Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-15-2008, 09:14 PM   #57
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
because adding the nav made the cost to build the Camaro go way up.

people use tom toms these days...which are easily updateable.

on top of that, cheryl already answered the question that they felt onstar turn by turn was sufficient enough.
i had on star for a while in all my gm truck and it blows. by the time they give me the exit im looking for i passed it and had to recalculate it. no only do i want nav for the fact of the navigation and its a nice visual piece, but i like the dvd player and the fact that its touch screen. it just blows that they put all kinds of money into existing cars but the one that really matters for its rebirth(the camaro),gets shafted on alot of cool OPTIONS.not only nav but certain colors, interior colors, motor options ect. yeah the more we bitch the less gets done but hey its all about getting your opinion out there. and if we didnt tell what we think about things, then they wouldnt know how we actually felt.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:20 PM   #58
swifttal

Drives: '91 Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
i had on star for a while in all my gm truck and it blows. by the time they give me the exit im looking for i passed it and had to recalculate it. no only do i want nav for the fact of the navigation and its a nice visual piece, but i like the dvd player and the fact that its touch screen. it just blows that they put all kinds of money into existing cars but the one that really matters for its rebirth(the camaro),gets shafted on alot of cool OPTIONS.not only nav but certain colors, interior colors, motor options ect. yeah the more we bitch the less gets done but hey its all about getting your opinion out there. and if we didnt tell what we think about things, then they wouldnt know how we actually felt.
I think the main reason they opted out is because it's already so cool, anything more would be illegal
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:21 PM   #59
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifttal View Post
Should work out better for you then, who know, GM tends to put nav on everything, maybe 2011 will be it
Yep, heres hoping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifttal View Post
I think the main reason they opted out is because it's already so cool, anything more would be illegal
Old 11-17-2008, 06:29 AM   #60
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
I enjoy how the Nav is integrated into the VETTE's HUD. Now that's sweet and functional. You guys need to check it out to see how functional it is. No aftermarket can do that.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:23 AM   #61
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
I enjoy how the Nav is integrated into the VETTE's HUD. Now that's sweet and functional. You guys need to check it out to see how functional it is. No aftermarket can do that.
I am intrigued, what information does the navigation system display on the HUD?
Old 11-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #62
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Does it show arrows floating in front of you?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:58 PM   #63
BigRigMike

Drives: 2010 Ford Fusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The HUD in my GXP will show an arrow along with street name and then there is a "bar graph" that will shrink as you get closer to the turn. I like it because i can turn off the voice for the NAV and then if i am not paying attention to the NAV it will show up on the HUD.
BigRigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #64
josh1147
Delivered 29June09

Drives: Early Order Camaro
Hey,

Have we all lost sight of what is going on here??? We are getting our CAMARO BACK!!! I haven't been this excited since I finished the frame-off on my 57 BelAir!

And with the 422 HP, I WANT to get lost....I'll still make it to my destinations on time, just flying low! I've got the Factory NAV in my 07 Avy....love it too...but I don't care about it in this car.

THANK YOU CHEVY for bringing this American Icon back!!!
josh1147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #65
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRigMike View Post
The HUD in my GXP will show an arrow along with street name and then there is a "bar graph" that will shrink as you get closer to the turn. I like it because i can turn off the voice for the NAV and then if i am not paying attention to the NAV it will show up on the HUD.
OK, I'd pay for that. When I first learned HUD was going into the Camaro I was hoping they'd develop something like this. Using the HUD as a GPS display just makes sense... no shifting your eyes away from the road to figure out where you're going.

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #66
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
Quote:
Yes, it has the mile countdown bar, arrow, street name, audio displays and even phone number from the BT phone book.

I felt it was a major safety feature out on the track. Running triple digits I much rather be getting all my important data from the HUD than glancing down at the gauges, and the Camaro gauge pack on the consol would be useless on the track. No way am I looking that far inside the car.

One has to drive a car a HUD to fully appreciate the convenience and safety of this feature.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:03 AM   #67
Belo

Drives: 98 Heavily Modded Pontiac GTP
08 cts. Doesn't really "cheapen" the interior imo. And nobody in this post is saying it should be standard. Just an option, and something you can decide to add if you want it...

Old 11-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #68
Belo

Drives: 98 Heavily Modded Pontiac GTP
funny the new rustang gets an optional gps.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...r_news?cid=327

Quote:
The interior is where Ford invested its greatest effort. A new dashboard made from one giant soft-plastic molding looks and feels much richer than the several hard pieces it replaces. The metallic trim is real aluminum and different in texture on the V-6 and V-8 models. In fact, the shift knob and everything else that looks like aluminum is indeed the genuine metal. A reconfigured console should be softer on your knees when bracing them during hard driving, the optional leather seats show off beautiful stitching, and a navigation system with an eight-inch screen, reverse camera, and Sync 2.0 is optional.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:33 PM   #69
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Yes, it has the mile countdown bar, arrow, street name, audio displays and even phone number from the BT phone book.

I felt it was a major safety feature out on the track. Running triple digits I much rather be getting all my important data from the HUD than glancing down at the gauges, and the Camaro gauge pack on the consol would be useless on the track. No way am I looking that far inside the car.

One has to drive a car a HUD to fully appreciate the convenience and safety of this feature.
Sounds awesome. I had an idea like that a few months ago. I will find the post later tonight
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-18-2008, 10:11 PM   #70
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Sounds awesome. I had an idea like that a few months ago. I will find the post later tonight
And here it is:
Quote:
I think it will have a nav system of some sort, beyond the voice turn by turn that onstar has (which would be sufficient for me). I don't want any sort of nav screen though. I can get where I am going with a paper map. If the Camaro comes with the little turn by turn arrows (very likely in my opinion) would be great. Even better would be arrows on a heads up display, to me that would be the best possible nav system. No its not an 8 inch full colour LCD screen mounted in the middle of the car that scrolls in sync with the car. It shows you where you need to turn, when you need to turn. Simple, effective, no need to look away, and nearly fool proof. To me, an LCD screen is a map that you can't get a really good look at. BUT there are lots and lots of people who love such screens. Some find them better to use than maps. Others are equally incapable of using either and merely like technology
Quote:
The idea that I'm thinking of doesn't exist to the best of my knowledge -but it would be awesome. Take the turn by turn arrows that GM is starting to use, but instead of having them show on the instrument pannel, display it on a HUD. The hardware and software cost increase is minimal for a car already designed for a HUD, which by itself does add a bit of cost.
Yes, I did just quote myself 3 times in the same post, while making a double post.

Camaro Fest sub-forum