Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
jordan 572

Drives: none
Rear main leak

I have the ls3 in my camaro and it looks like the rear main is leakig a little. Before I put it in storage it didn't leak a bit. It was stored in an indoor garage but not heated. I have heard sometimes the bearings dry up??? Do you think it needs to be replaced or will it seal up once I drive it. It went straight from the storage place to a lift about 200 yards so I doubt that would have done much.
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
import_killa

Drives: 2SS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
I have the ls3 in my camaro and it looks like the rear main is leakig a little. Before I put it in storage it didn't leak a bit. It was stored in an indoor garage but not heated. I have heard sometimes the bearings dry up??? Do you think it needs to be replaced or will it seal up once I drive it. It went straight from the storage place to a lift about 200 yards so I doubt that would have done much.
On the earlier models there is a TSB on the rear mains see if yours falls in that time frame. They called me a few months ago and informed me that there was a replacement for the newer models if I wanted to have it put in. Mine wasnt leaking either but had them change it anyways that way several years from now i don't have to worry about it.
1 7/8 AR headers, roto-fab CAI with radiator, fuse box, and valve cover, cam, upgraded fuel system with 85lb injectors, under drive pulley, TVS 2300 S/C, muffler delete, aftermarket wheels, AAC headlights fogs sidemarkers footwell dome and trunk lights.....That's 659.9 RWHP 611.9RWTQ

T
import_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
There have been a few issues with oil leaks around the rear of these engines. Specifically, leaks have been reported at the oil filter housing. This unit also accepts the trans cooling lines. It may look like an oil pan leak.

My car was leaking there and the dealership fixed it without hesitation even though my car is tuned and supercharged.

Alfie
Old 04-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
jordan 572

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by import_killa View Post
On the earlier models there is a TSB on the rear mains see if yours falls in that time frame. They called me a few months ago and informed me that there was a replacement for the newer models if I wanted to have it put in. Mine wasnt leaking either but had them change it anyways that way several years from now i don't have to worry about it.
do you when the cut off was?
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
Found this on my car also supercharged and cammed. Got 1800 miles since back from livernois I would assume they would give me the best rear main gasket but it's hard to tell if it is that or rear of oil pan or even filter. Wonder if dealership would replace mine since trans has been removed for stall?
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
Jason7
NorCalCamaros.com

Drives: 2010 2SS White
It's covered here in California. I've been told to just take it down and they will fix it for free. Dealer stated its a known issue....

Jason
Jason7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:47 AM   #7
Kahdir

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Found out mine leaks as well... Recent oil change mentioned that the filter was loose and residue coated a good bit of the underside. Started smelling oil afterward, figured some may have spilled on the headers, but still smelled it 3 weeks later... no oil on the garage floor and oil levels were the same. Brought it back to find it was coated again.

I'm hoping it's just the oil pan gasket and not the rear main seal :(
Kahdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
ss eleanor
SS Eleanor

Drives: 2010 RS/2SS Camaro
I took mine in for a oil change too, hot it back and smells like its burning oil. Tool it back after 100 miles of driving and the smell is worse. They put it up on the rack and said the oil cooler line are leaking. Ago they change it, still bad oil burning smell. They replaced the pan gasket and still bad smell in the cab of the car. So they also replaced the heater core hoses and still smell is bad. My car has been in the shop for 15 days and they are lost on it. It never smelled before I took in for a oil change. Oh btw I only had 2 oil changes on it. I hate the smell in it. She's going back in tomorrow.
ss eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote