Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #15
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedestech View Post
I don't know why I never thought of this, but what happens if you total a modded car? I know my insurance company will let you elect extra insurance for aftermarket equipment, but not sure I want to call and say.."I added all of these parts and want to get coverage for them" for fear they might put two and two together and charge a lot more for the entire policy due to the performance nature of the parts. I don't have a lot invested right at this moment, but with the $1700-$1900 I'm getting ready to spend this week, I'd be out $3500 or so if I totaled the car (and thats just in parts as I do my own installs). I can only imagine what some of you guys have in superchargers and turbo systems, wheels etc...
I don't know about your state, but here in Ma, you can not insure the car for more than the stocker is worth. I know because I tried this on my Harley. Here in MA, if you have items that are fastened to the car and you have your reciepts, they will pay for them if the car gets stolen.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farthestnorth View Post
$45,000 in mods wonder what my insurance company would say?
cha ching
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
My Ins. agent,Ins.carrier,and I all have pictures of every thing put on my car before and after it was put on. And the Ins. agent took the pictures himself. And they both have coppies of the originals which they coppied ther self. And I had the papers notarized this is the way I do business to cover my backside.Better to go too extreme and be safe then sorry.
BLU DUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
katman

Drives: 2LT Auto RS sunroof
Spike, sounds like you handled your modifications the right way. Documentation between you, your agent and the insurance company is the best way to have a claim covered to your satisfaction down the road.
Pipe, demanding that the insurance company cover your alterations is very complicated. Cosmetic alterations are easily covered by an endorsement, go fast parts....not easy. By covered I mean for comprehensive, collision and most importantly Liability. For example driving way too fast down a side street because (for example) you modded your car for 600hp and you hit and kill a pedestrian, your claim to your insurance company might not go as you hoped it would. I'm not picking on you, just using you as an example. That is why detailed documentation between you, the agent/broker and most importantly the insurance company is vital before a catastrophic accident occurs and a victim is severely injured and your records must be updated as your future alterations continue. I'm just trying to have you CYA, because many believe "my agent told me it was covered" is not good enough when the claim happens. "Denial of reality does not make it acceptable" is a common remark from your attorney when your chest deep into a bad liability lawsuit. Unless, of course, your defense is insanity! Good luck everyone, and call your agent for a sitdown and bring him your documentation and pictures of what you have altered on your car and how the insurance company wants to handle your alterations. It is quite possible most of you will need to look for a new insurance company. I would look at specialty auto writers like Haggerty, Foremost, Grundy and JC Taylor. Their more into antiques and classics, but offer coverage to altered cars and trucks.
katman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #19
Camaro54

Drives: Camaro SS2/RS orange/black stripes
I went with Progressive. The agent took pictures and I gave him a complete list of mod parts. I didn't insure it for the full amount of what I have in it cause they will first start with the price of a used 2010 2SS/RS and then start adding the price of the mods. If I damage part of it then my mods are covered. PM me if you have questions.
2010/2SS/RS/6L80E/Mast built LS3 416 Stroker/Black Lable Heads/Blower Cam/Jannetty Tuned/ 685rwhp/635tq/KookHeaders/3"exhaust/Magnaflows/Whipple Blower/10lbs bst/Duel pumps/85lb inj/2 gauge pillar/CAI/RX catch can/Vmax ported TB/Lexani LX15s/Pedders sub F bushings inserts/Pedders sport extreme coilovers/ZL1 sway bars/Hotchkis strut tower brace/Hawk brake pads/stainless steel brake lines/CTV front calibers/slotted rotors 15"/1 pc drive shaft & loop/hidden radar-laser detect/rear louvers/terminator hood/ SS mats/black outs/Bowties/GM GFX kit/blade spoiler/deading matting/wolf art/
Camaro54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #20
NYJETSFAN
El Hefe

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Wow, I have 10k invested and never thought of calling my insurance company.. Im on it first thing tomorrow.
NYJETSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #21
Fuel74

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
Good topic - I just happened to stop by my State Farm agent today to ask about modding and compettive driving, want to be sure am covered before I sink too much money in. They basically said the mods are not covered and if performance mods, they likely would drop my collision policy. Track days may or may not be covered depending on the situation....

I'm looking for a new company now - will try some of the ones mentioned. Thanks for the info.
Fuel74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #22
katman

Drives: 2LT Auto RS sunroof
You are welcome! No way in H*LL State Farm will cover a track day. Read your policy!!!
katman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #23
Elykson
Custom One Off

Drives: 2010 Chicago Blackhawks Edition #1
Farmer's wouldn't cover my camaro, so i use Haggerty. At least they insure it for it's appraised value.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #24
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel74 View Post
Good topic - I just happened to stop by my State Farm agent today to ask about modding and compettive driving, want to be sure am covered before I sink too much money in. They basically said the mods are not covered and if performance mods, they likely would drop my collision policy. Track days may or may not be covered depending on the situation....

I'm looking for a new company now - will try some of the ones mentioned. Thanks for the info.
Yea.. you don't say competitive driving lol

You can mention they are performance related. I mentioned intake, exhaust, and tune increased my MPGs and so forth. You aren't lying, but I don't go waving the flag that I am tracking it.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #25
BlkBty

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Biggest reason I dropped my Ins policy from USAA to Geico.. Geico will cover my mods as long as I take pictures and document the mods and submit them to my agent..
BlkBty is offline   Reply With Quote