Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
blkngldbabe
Barossa's handler

Drives: 2LT/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameg1011 View Post
The dealers don't pay for warranties. If they were smart, they would preform the work, modded or not. They get paid by the manufacturer not only for parts used but for the labor. The dealers actually make money for performing the work, just as if you paid for it. This is why i don't know why any dealer would deny warranty work for any reason. Even a flashed ECU unless they needed to send the old one back to the manufacture, but they almost never ask for it back.

From everything I've heard here (at the dealer I work at) Once the programming is changed at all from an outside source or any source for that matter, GM can tell because diagnostics are run online. Even if you switch it back there is a log of the changes. I'm not sure if you know this, but we have to stamp all warranty parts returns. Gm has the option to ask for them, so if the part has failed through no reason of it's own, and possibly is caused by a mod, the dealer would be on the hook and not paid the money for the labor etc.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
FWIW - Personally I think everyone should own their own code reader so they at least understand the basics of the issue prior to taking their car into the shop. You'll also know if the code is anyway related to one of your mods so you're ready to fight if need be.
dkp2LT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #17
got adrenalin?
Cameo "Cammy" Car Camaro

Drives: 2LT/RS 45th 2012 Limited Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp2LT View Post
FWIW - Personally I think everyone should own their own code reader so they at least understand the basics of the issue prior to taking their car into the shop. You'll also know if the code is anyway related to one of your mods so you're ready to fight if need be.
I don't know anything about code readers ... are they bought for just a specific vehicle or can it be used on any car with an OBD 2 port? How much do you need to spend to get a decent one? Thanks-Sandy
got adrenalin? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #18
NoleLife

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by akCamaross View Post
Ya my dealership said you can do anything you want as long as its bolt on. I bought from a bigger dealership though. Some small dealerships are tight with warrentys because of money tightness. I have a full exhaust and have had no trouble.

By this logic, I should be able to get longtubes and full exhaust and use a handheld tuner rather than taking it to a shop and still maintain my power train warranty?
NoleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #19
BBQdDude

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by got adrenalin? View Post
I don't know anything about code readers ... are they bought for just a specific vehicle or can it be used on any car with an OBD 2 port? How much do you need to spend to get a decent one? Thanks-Sandy
If you have an Android based phone buy Torque and an ODB2 dongle. Maybe >$50 if that going from memory.
BBQdDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #20
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by got adrenalin? View Post
Code readers are universal for late model cars. I think the autozone one is over 100$.

You can buy one, OR just go to autozone, o'reillys, or advanced auto parts and they will run your code for free!
Old 12-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #21
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
There are cheaper ODB2 code readers - I've seen them on sale in the $40-$50 range. Like vroomapunk said many an auto store like Autozone will read them for free. Then once you have the code(s) you can search on Google & find all kinds of info. Not perfect but leads you the direction of the problem - and some that the simpleton like myself then can fix.
dkp2LT is online now   Reply With Quote