Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 07-21-2014, 03:39 AM   #1
jcsuddre

Drives: 2016 black 2 ss
Downshifting at red light

So earlier yesterday I was out riding around and I saw a red light and as usual I downshifted with the paddle shifters to hear the engine rev as I came to a stop . I got to first gear and before I came to a complete stop the light turned green and I hit the gas and whoa I felt the power finally my ss rocked my head like a rag doll and gave me whip lash . For the past week or two since I had my camaro I was like my v6 could take my ss but now I know the truth .my ss does not seem so fast when starting out in first gear from a stop and flooring it but if I'm in first and coming to a stop and floor it I feel the power so much more . I don't know if it is just me but when I start from first from a stop it still feels like my v6 until I get in the upper rpm range
jcsuddre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:21 AM   #2
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
this must be your first v8... you have some learning to do
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:55 AM   #3
jcsuddre

Drives: 2016 black 2 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBody View Post
this must be your first v8... you have some learning to do
It is please enlighten me lol
jcsuddre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:40 AM   #4
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsuddre View Post
It is please enlighten me lol
Your v6 is nowhere near as fast.....there you go
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:42 AM   #5
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsuddre View Post
So earlier yesterday I was out riding around and I saw a red light and as usual I downshifted with the paddle shifters to hear the engine rev as I came to a stop . I got to first gear and before I came to a complete stop the light turned green and I hit the gas and whoa I felt the power finally my ss rocked my head like a rag doll and gave me whip lash . For the past week or two since I had my camaro I was like my v6 could take my ss but now I know the truth .my ss does not seem so fast when starting out in first gear from a stop and flooring it but if I'm in first and coming to a stop and floor it I feel the power so much more . I don't know if it is just me but when I start from first from a stop it still feels like my v6 until I get in the upper rpm range
** Note - I could be wrong about the following. I'll have to go out and experiment later today when the roads dry out.**

I have experienced this as well and I THINK the following explains it. I also checked the owner's manual (Tap Shift section) and interpreted what it said as this:

There is something about tap shift (or Manual Mode) on V8s, that causes the transmission to automatically shift into 2nd when you come to a complete stop. I'm not positive, but I think you then have to "manually" tap it into 1st or when you hit the gas (from a stand still) you will actually be in 2nd gear... not 1st. Since you "manually" downshifted with the taps and never actually came to a full stop the car stayed in 1st, giving you that extra jolt when you hit the gas at a slow roll.

**Anyone who knows for sure - please correct me if I'm wrong**
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
** Note - I could be wrong about the following. I'll have to go out and experiment later today when the roads dry out.**

I have experienced this as well and I THINK the following explains it. I also checked the owner's manual (Tap Shift section) and interpreted what it said as this:

There is something about tap shift (or Manual Mode) on V8s, that causes the transmission to automatically shift into 2nd when you come to a complete stop. I'm not positive, but I think you then have to "manually" tap it into 1st or when you hit the gas (from a stand still) you will actually be in 2nd gear... not 1st. Since you "manually" downshifted with the taps and never actually came to a full stop the car stayed in 1st, giving you that extra jolt when you hit the gas at a slow roll.

**Anyone who knows for sure - please correct me if I'm wrong**
For the L99, when gear shift is in "D" position, from a stop you will start in second gear. When the gear shift is in the "M" position, it will start in first gear (with the additional torque) and have more aggressive shift points.

You can tap shift down to first while in "D", and the car will revert to normal automatic mode within a few seconds.

Additionally, tap shifts may be prevented from executing if the RPMs are not appropriate.

I drive in "M" mode, but rarely use the tap shifts. I have found that if you accelerate somewhat aggressively, but lift off the accelerator abruptly, the car will frequently not "settle" on a gear and upshift but will remain in the lower gear and produce sharp acceleration and torque again immediately... even when coming back into the throttle gently. This can be both disconcerting ... and fun, but be careful!
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:47 AM   #7
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
A bit off topic, but I get conflicting reports. OP says eh uses the tap shift to hear the engine rev as he comes to the light. That tells me that there is no rev matching involved with the tap shift feature. Other times I have asked this and felt that I was being told there is. Can someone answer this that knows?
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #8
GnyaTek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
A bit off topic, but I get conflicting reports. OP says eh uses the tap shift to hear the engine rev as he comes to the light. That tells me that there is no rev matching involved with the tap shift feature. Other times I have asked this and felt that I was being told there is. Can someone answer this that knows?
Tap shifting will be allowed provided that the shift will not exceed rev limiter. The computer determines if the shift is acceptable and will prevent shifts that could cause damage.

This does not mean that it will be a smooth shift, and can cause a huge jump in RPMs if you quickly tap shift down multiple gears.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #9
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnyaTek View Post
For the L99, when gear shift is in "D" position, from a stop you will start in second gear. When the gear shift is in the "M" position, it will start in first gear (with the additional torque) and have more aggressive shift points.

You can tap shift down to first while in "D", and the car will revert to normal automatic mode within a few seconds.

Additionally, tap shifts may be prevented from executing if the RPMs are not appropriate.

I drive in "M" mode, but rarely use the tap shifts. I have found that if you accelerate somewhat aggressively, but lift off the accelerator abruptly, the car will frequently not "settle" on a gear and upshift but will remain in the lower gear and produce sharp acceleration and torque again immediately... even when coming back into the throttle gently. This can be both disconcerting ... and fun, but be careful!
I, too, drive in "Manual Mode" all the time, but rarely use the Taps. I'm very familiar with "Sport Mode" which is what you get in "M" without using the Taps (as you know). But thank you anyway.

In trying to answer OP's question, I went to the Owner's Manual and found this info: "When coasting to a stop in Tap Shift Mode, the V6 transmission will automatically downshift to 1 (First) gear, and the V8 transmission will automatically downshift to 2 (Second) gear. A 1 (First) gear start can be selected using the Tap Shift controls on V8 models."

This leads me to presume that OP physically downshifted all the way to 1st gear with the Taps but since he did not come to a full stop (as he usually does), he was still in 1st gear when he hit the gas. Normally, he would have been in 2nd... hence his surprise at the increased power.

I will confirm later, but I believe if you tap all the way down to 1st gear while approaching a stop and then stop for a few seconds you will see the gear indicator on the DIC change from 1 to 2, making your take-off gear 2 instead of the expected 1. I hope that makes sense and I will confirm shortly - roads almost dry.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 07-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #10
GnyaTek

Quote:
I, too, drive in "Manual Mode" all the time, but rarely use the Taps. I'm very familiar with "Sport Mode" which is what you get in "M" without using the Taps (as you know). But thank you anyway.
Yeah, I know ya do and was just trying to be a more complete response for the OP and others reading. In fact, I almost put a disclaimer on my post (and now thinking I really should have) letting ya know that part of my reply was not directed toward you!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #11
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnyaTek View Post
Yeah, I know ya do and was just trying to be a more complete response for the OP and others reading. In fact, I almost put a disclaimer on my post (and now thinking I really should have) letting ya know that part of my reply was not directed toward you!
No problem, but you quoted me so I "assumed" you were replying to me (only). Thanks.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #12
PalmerGA

Quote:

In trying to answer OP's question, I went to the Owner's Manual and found this info: "When coasting to a stop in Tap Shift Mode, the V6 transmission will automatically downshift to 1 (First) gear, and the V8 transmission will automatically downshift to 2 (Second) gear. A 1 (First) gear start can be selected using the Tap Shift controls on V8 models."

This leads me to presume that OP physically downshifted all the way to 1st gear with the Taps but since he did not come to a full stop (as he usually does), he was still in 1st gear when he hit the gas. Normally, he would have been in 2nd... hence his surprise at the increased power.

I will confirm later, but I believe if you tap all the way down to 1st gear while approaching a stop and then stop for a few seconds you will see the gear indicator on the DIC change from 1 to 2, making your take-off gear 2 instead of the expected 1. I hope that makes sense and I will confirm shortly - roads almost dry.
Okay - I checked it out with a short drive. Forget what I said about "if you tap all the way down to 1st gear while approaching a stop and then stop for a few seconds you will see the gear indicator on the DIC change from 1 to 2", in the last paragraph above. That is incorrect. Don't know why I thought I had seen that happen.

In Manual Mode, if you tap shift through the gears while accelerating but then allow the transmission to downshift itself when approaching a stop, it will only go down to "M2" on the DIC. Therefore, if that is the norm for OP, he's used to taking off in 2nd when in Tap Shift mode. When downshifting with the taps all the way down to 1st, the transmission will hold 1st (even if you completely stop) until you tap up. I suspect OP does not normally tap all the way down to 1st, hence his surprise when the car jolted him upon acceleration.

Sorry for my confusion. Hope this clears it up.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #13
NotchedSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM L99
I avoid using the Tap because i get confused during a turn lol.
-SLP Loudmouth I Muffler Delete
-V8 Only Range Device
-Technostalgia Advanced Taillights
-Elite Engineering Catch Can
-Anvil Notch Spoiler
NotchedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #14
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Yup a V-8 would do that to you.
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote