Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #15
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
So you had your original line and new line, both not fitting, WOW! Hopefully the Master Tech looks at your car and is able to get this figured out. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #16
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
I am very intrigued to find out why so much trouble with the lines. Keep us updated.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #17
booneSS13

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS LS3
Apparently my new transmission cooler line will be in Monday and they will have another 5th gen in to compare with. I'll definitely let you guys know what happens. Hopefully nothing drastic has to happen like them having to remove the power steering motor which sits parallel to the sway bar since I have a '13

-Fastlane Cold Air Intake, NPP cat back exhaust, Stainless Works LT Headers, 2r max camshaft, Stage 3 Ported Heads (Manley Stainless steel values, titanium retainers, dual valve springs, bronze guides), Wiseco Forged Pistons, K1 Forged Rods, Clevite Bearings, Factory Crankshaft, Comp Cams rocker arm trunion kit, Morel 5315 lifters, JP performance single billet timing chain, Melling oil pump, Spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel, BMR trailing arms, Nitto 555r 305/35/20.
booneSS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #18
booneSS13

**Update**: Okay guys I picked my car up from the dealership a week ago and they said in order to install the hose properly the rack and pinion has to be moved and even after they do that they're not sure if they will have to jack the motor up or not.

They quoted me $445 if only the rack has to be moved. They say they aren't sure how much if they have to jack up the engine also. I went ahead and picked up the car and decided that's going to be a job for next year since I have to change my rack anyway since the electric power steering went out

-Fastlane Cold Air Intake, NPP cat back exhaust, Stainless Works LT Headers, 2r max camshaft, Stage 3 Ported Heads (Manley Stainless steel values, titanium retainers, dual valve springs, bronze guides), Wiseco Forged Pistons, K1 Forged Rods, Clevite Bearings, Factory Crankshaft, Comp Cams rocker arm trunion kit, Morel 5315 lifters, JP performance single billet timing chain, Melling oil pump, Spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel, BMR trailing arms, Nitto 555r 305/35/20.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:58 PM   #19
JerTM

The labor shouldn't change based on what they think they could get away with. The industry standard is either Alldata or Mitchell times and are set based on warranty times plus a small margin, that takes into account all necessary items that need to be moved or repositioned. The tech working on your car is trying to rip you off by charging you more to do what is already part of the job. I'll look up the time tomorrow when I am at work and give you an estimate of labor you should reasonably expect to pay.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:18 PM   #20
booneSS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
The labor shouldn't change based on what they think they could get away with. The industry standard is either Alldata or Mitchell times and are set based on warranty times plus a small margin, that takes into account all necessary items that need to be moved or repositioned. The tech working on your car is trying to rip you off by charging you more to do what is already part of the job. I'll look up the time tomorrow when I am at work and give you an estimate of labor you should reasonably expect to pay.
Yeah I talked to the shop foreman and the service writer at the same time about this and the shop foreman at first tried to tell me I have too many aftermarket modifications "in the way". I then told him that there's nothing on the external part of the engine that's even aftermarket besides the headers cold air intake and plug wires which has nothing to do with the install of the a/c lines. That's when he told me "well yeah we can do it then but it's going to be more than what you were quoted." and that's when the service adviser gave me a different price. They didn't really seem like they even wanted the job to be honest.

Thanks a lot for the info. That way I will know if the next dealer is trying to rip me off too since I'm taking it somewhere else.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #21
JerTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booneSS13 View Post
Yeah I talked to the shop foreman and the service writer at the same time about this and the shop foreman at first tried to tell me I have too many aftermarket modifications "in the way". I then told him that there's nothing on the external part of the engine that's even aftermarket besides the headers cold air intake and plug wires which has nothing to do with the install of the a/c lines. That's when he told me "well yeah we can do it then but it's going to be more than what you were quoted." and that's when the service adviser gave me a different price. They didn't really seem like they even wanted the job to be honest.

Thanks a lot for the info. That way I will know if the next dealer is trying to rip me off too since I'm taking it somewhere else.
Looking up the procedure on service information, the only things required to be removed for that line are the engine cover and intake. The labor on Alldata says .7 hr, so take their labor rate times .7 and that's what it should cost to replace the hose. Add in time for evac and recharge, r1-34a, and pag oil and that's the total. My shop rate is $110 so it would be $77 dollars to replace the hose and I think the evac and recharge rate is $120. So total should be $197 plus freon and PAG oil with dye. I've poked around there when I did my cam and when I did the oil pan gasket on another LS3 and didn't see any reason to move the steering gear or any other major component.

Tags
air conditioning, cool, engine install, maintenance