Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-21-2017, 07:49 AM   #729
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGenAg2010 View Post
Pete. Thanks so you think about my alignment I posted above for autocross?
My car sees fairly regular autox and quite a few mixed street miles, and I'm running the following:

Front camber: -2.5
Front toe: 0.05 out each side

Rear camber: -1.4
Rear toe: 0.05 in each side

I could get more agressive with the toe settings, but so far this has worked really well for me. Tire wear has been perfectly even as far as I can tell, the car has good grip balance for autox but is still pretty stable on the highway, even in the rain.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #730
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
My car sees fairly regular autox and quite a few mixed street miles, and I'm running the following:

Front camber: -2.5
Front toe: 0.05 out each side

Rear camber: -1.4
Rear toe: 0.05 in each side

I could get more agressive with the toe settings, but so far this has worked really well for me. Tire wear has been perfectly even as far as I can tell, the car has good grip balance for autox but is still pretty stable on the highway, even in the rain.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:58 AM   #731
3rdGenAg2010

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Well i guess the alignment was good enough to win F street!
3rdGenAg2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:28 AM   #732
3rdGenAg2010

Went to my second Autocross event, and in this course the car seemed to understeer. My alignment sheet is a page back.. Would reducing the rear camber to -0.5 help increase oversteer? Thoughts?

Also, does anyone have an alignment shop in houston that isnt dumb and tell me that the camber on the front isnt adjustable?

Thanks!!
Old 10-12-2017, 01:24 PM   #733
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Can you measure tire temps? This would let you know if you could use more or less camber. What else have you done on the car? Sway bar sizes? Spring rates? Tire sizes?
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:41 PM   #734
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGenAg2010 View Post
Went to my second Autocross event, and in this course the car seemed to understeer. My alignment sheet is a page back.. Would reducing the rear camber to -0.5 help increase oversteer? Thoughts?

Also, does anyone have an alignment shop in houston that isnt dumb and tell me that the camber on the front isnt adjustable?

Thanks!!
We're you at the same lot as the first event? One thing I've run into is the widely varying grip at different lots, and changing to a low grip lot makes it much easier to overdrive the car and make it push. I've even been to the same lot two weekends in a row, and some rain before the second event cleaned the track and brought some residues to the surface, and it actually had less grip than the week before.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #735
3rdGenAg2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Can you measure tire temps? This would let you know if you could use more or less camber. What else have you done on the car? Sway bar sizes? Spring rates? Tire sizes?
I dont have a way to measure tire temps. The pressures rose quite a bit, and next time im going to lower them back to my start up pressures of 38psi front 36psi rear. car is 100% stock. tires are 285/35R20 all the way around.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #736
3rdGenAg2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
We're you at the same lot as the first event? One thing I've run into is the widely varying grip at different lots, and changing to a low grip lot makes it much easier to overdrive the car and make it push. I've even been to the same lot two weekends in a row, and some rain before the second event cleaned the track and brought some residues to the surface, and it actually had less grip than the week before.
yeah it was a different lot. so maybe thats it.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #737
KillboyPowerhead

Most if not all cars understeer from the factory - it's a safety thing - so if your car is stock it will understeer. A square tire setup is a good start; to add to this consider a larger rear sway bar (I love my JPSS bars ). Solid subframe bushings ought to help here too.

What is your front camber? -1.1° and -1.5°? If so you could try more negative camber, -2.0 to -2.5° (might not be achievable without caster plates but you can get close to -2.0° stock).
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
Old 10-12-2017, 05:15 PM   #738
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
With the front cambers the way they are now, your car should be understeering a little more in right turns than in lefts. Was your second event right turn heavy compared to the first one?

If you don't want to be always swapping between autocross settings and street settings, maybe equalizing the front cambers at a little more negative than -1.5° and standing the rear tires up a little to somewhere in the -0.8° to -0.9° neighborhood would be a reasonable compromise. -0.5° might require a too much more sensitive throttle foot than what you've become accustomed to using.

Norm
Old 10-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #739
3rdGenAg2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Most if not all cars understeer from the factory - it's a safety thing - so if your car is stock it will understeer. A square tire setup is a good start; to add to this consider a larger rear sway bar (I love my JPSS bars ). Solid subframe bushings ought to help here too.

What is your front camber? -1.1° and -1.5°? If so you could try more negative camber, -2.0 to -2.5° (might not be achievable without caster plates but you can get close to -2.0° stock).

Yeah I think I'm going to get the 32mm bar. I need to find a Shopi in Houston for alignment. The last shop I couldn't get them to adjust the front camber.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:15 PM   #740
3rdGenAg2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
With the front cambers the way they are now, your car should be understeering a little more in right turns than in lefts. Was your second event right turn heavy compared to the first one?

If you don't want to be always swapping between autocross settings and street settings, maybe equalizing the front cambers at a little more negative than -1.5° and standing the rear tires up a little to somewhere in the -0.8° to -0.9° neighborhood would be a reasonable compromise. -0.5° might require a too much more sensitive throttle foot than what you've become accustomed to using.

Norm
Yeah it was right turn heavy. Where as the first race was left turn heavy. Actually now that I think about it on the first course it only felt liked it pushed on the right hand turns.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:31 PM   #741
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Need thoughts on new setup...

Running autox and hpde's (6-9 events a year) and daily driving on 2nd set of wheels/tires..

Hardware is: coilovers, rear and front sway bars, rear trailing arms and toe arms, 305/30r19s (race setup), 285/35 r20 (daily),poly bushes all around... sitting at about 400 rwhp...

Previs setup worked great... but wondering if I'm leaving more grip on the table..

Front:
Camber: -1.4 to -1.6
Caster : fixed
Toe: 1/16 total

Rear: -1.0 to -1.2
Toe: 0.00 total

Thoughts?
Old 10-24-2017, 05:57 AM   #742
KillboyPowerhead

How much do you care about tire wear?

Front camber: -1.5° for tire wear so that you don't have to keep changing camber for the street; -2.0 to -2.5° if you don't care about tire wear.

Front caster: I'd recommend drilling/grinding out the inner radius rod bolt hole (at the subframe) and getting some "caster locks" to increase positive caster, but if not then caster is fixed as you said. Do you have camber (or caster) plates built into the coil-overs?

Front toe: A bit of toe-out will help with turn-in; 0.25° for tire wear, 0.5° for handling (not sure what that is in inches which most people refer to - maybe 1/16" and 1/8"?).

Rear camber: -1.0° for tire wear; -1.5° for handling.

Rear toe: Toe-in helps with keeping the car stable and compensates for dynamic toe changes due to bushing/arm flex; same as front toe but in, so 0.25° to 0.5°.

You may also consider buying a laser thermometer or something to take tire temps so that you can better tune the alignment if you're going to be racing regularly.