Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-22-2021, 06:39 PM   #1
RichardElwood

Drives: 2017 Honda CR-V
First Camaro, advice wanted

Hello! I'm a new member, my first post. I've wanted a Camaro since I first saw one at the home town Chevy dealer at age 13. By the time I could afford one, the design had strayed far from the 1967-68 design I loved, then the family years came. You know the drill. Now I'm recently retired (boomer), and it may be Camaro time at last!

-- I don't have the skills nor budget for a real 67-68 classic, but the 5Gen 2010-2015 seems to be a good second choice.

-- Budget < $20K, preferably closer to $15K. I know, that doesn't leave much.

-- As much as I admired the SS and RS, a simple coupe with v6 or even 4-banger would be fine. No need to light up the tires, but agility in merging on short freeway ramps would be useful.

-- An upgraded sound system is more important than performance above posted speed limits. This includes a quiet exhaust system. Really. I don't need to wake up the neighborhood. The music matters!

-- I know this pre-dates tech like Apple CarPlay, but some level of bluetooth integration would be helpful.

-- No racing stripes, although side stripes OK.

A few questions:

* Real estate has gone crazy post-pandemic and from visits to local Chevy dealers it seems Camaro prices are temporarily inflated right now as well. Is that accurate? Maybe I should wait...

* I'm thinking a 2014 or 2015 model, 2LT, would be best, all things considered for cabin amenities.

* I've been checking carvana.com, cars.com, car gurus.com, etc. Are other sites especially good? As much as I'd like to support local dealers, I'd guess it's probably not so much in my best interest to go through them.

Am I missing anything? Any suggestions very much appreciated! -- Rick
RichardElwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:12 PM   #2
MarkNJ

Drives: 2015 2SS Commemorative Edition
Autotrader is good also. This one looks nice. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...e=supplemental
MarkNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:17 PM   #3
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
as the owner of a 2015 2LT it sounds like that is what you want.the 2LT trim is an RS which means you will have the HUD,heated seats,upgraded headlights and premium sound system...pretty much what it takes to keep an old man happy.unless you want to drag race and do burnouts the V6 is fine for highway merging,etc.the reality is it puts out as much if not more power than most of the 60s/70s V8s that we remember.the 4 cylinders didnt come into the camaro lineup until the 6th gen (2016)oh yeah...an RS is pretty much an SS without the V8 but with the upgrades i already mentioned.maybe a private party sale would be to your advantage.2LT also comes with the backup camera,good to have.edit...the one shown above is a good example if you like the color and stripes.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:24 PM   #4
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
If you want to stay true to the 67-68 design, you will have to stay between 10-13 for 5th gen. 14-15 is more like 69.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:48 PM   #5
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
* Real estate has gone crazy post-pandemic and from visits to local Chevy dealers it seems Camaro prices are temporarily inflated right now as well. Is that accurate? Maybe I should wait...
+ That is accurate. Car prices are high now; it's a seller's market

* I'm thinking a 2014 or 2015 model, 2LT, would be best, all things considered for cabin amenities.
+ I have the 2014 1LT auto model. Great car. Bought it used at 40k miles and have put 15k on it the past 3 years. Hasn't given me a single issue. These v6 models can fly, too, so don't let the infatuation with cylinder counts fool you.

* I've been checking carvana.com, cars.com, car gurus.com, etc. Are other sites especially good? As much as I'd like to support local dealers, I'd guess it's probably not so much in my best interest to go through them.
+ I've found that the best deals are on Facebook

Am I missing anything? Any suggestions very much appreciated! -- Rick
+ Once you've made your purchase, read through the Blend Door thread on this forum. It is some incredibly helpful advice with preventative maintenance.

Last edited by ElderJ; 05-22-2021 at 11:37 PM.
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:31 AM   #6
RichardElwood

Thanks, all great info! I wasn't aware that 2LT = RS. Don't know how I missed the 2014 style change! 2010-2015 are all 5th gen, though, right? All very good to know.

I'd also prefer an automatic transmission, which I failed to mention. Fortunately, they seem to be quite common.

Last edited by RichardElwood; 05-23-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:16 PM   #7
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
theres lots of auto/V6 camaros out there,and many have been treated nicely.just makes sure you dont get some teenagers winter beater and you should be good...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 01:42 PM   #8
RichardElwood

I finally found a 2013 Camaro near me (red 1LT with RS package, 92K miles, $16K) to actually "test fit." I'm 6'4" so happy to find that leg room is pretty good. On the lot, the car was between other cars so getting in/out called attention to the long door and awkward small space to squeeze in. I'd previously owned a Honda CR-Z 2-seater, which was low, but the seat was positioned way at the back of the opening, which made for a wider entry space. I'd give the Camaro a C for entry/exit.

Headroom was another concern, but it was adequate. I'm not claustrophobic, and actually like a car that wraps around me like a "suit!" The small windows were a bit like peering out through slots in a military vehicle, but I suppose that could help keep the late afternoon sun out of one's eyes. Perhaps the low windshield sometimes blocks traffic lights and signs?

This Camaro was at a small used-car-onlhy dealer, so I guess some checklist boxes were ticked, but I'm suspicious. Might these outfits get their cars at auction from bigger dealers who take a pass on handling them?
Old 05-28-2021, 01:52 PM   #9
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
My biggest advice is to get one that's as stock as possible. Some people, as expected, do some sketchy upgrades to these cars.

I'd at least go with the 2LT package. That way you'll get all the creature comforts you seem to want.

As long as they're not modified, these cars are pretty quiet, actually TOO quiet for some people.

As far as the electronics, the aftermarket has really come up with really nice units that are pretty easy to install or have install - that way you can get a unit with all the modern stuff, like CarPlay.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 02:15 PM   #10
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Go with an SS. I've daily driven my Camaro 5 years now and never regretted having the extra power. It's been in downpours, snow, sun, on the track, etc, and it's perfect.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 02:19 PM   #11
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
bought mine with 10k miles for $20k almost 2 years ago. 2011 2SS
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 02:42 PM   #12
RichardElwood

Greenhornet2, that sounds like an incredible deal!

I don't think I've ever seen a rusty Camaro, but it dawned on me that that must be a concern here in the midwest. It's probably best to find a car from the south, or that's at least been under-coated.
Old 05-28-2021, 03:44 PM   #13
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
Go with an SS.
This. My 2013 was the v6 and now I have a 2012 2SS.

The v6 isn't the best with MPG compared to the v8. The stock v8 is plenty quiet. It's an older style engine and more solid IMO.

Also the used car market is terrible right now. Things are going to be overpriced no matter what you go with. If you can wait... I would.

Since you are so tall, make sure you find one without a sunroof, the roof actually has more headroom as long as you don't have a sunroof.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:15 PM   #14
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I purchased my 2LS V6 brand new in Dec of '14 and have never regretted having a nice base model. No power seats, back-up cam, or other do-dads. I get about 24-29 mpg depending on town or freeway driving. I enjoyed the no frills approach so much that I purchased the "race version" aka the Z/28. If I were searching now, given the criteria mentioned, I would try to be flexible and let price, mileage and availability help me make my choice. Sure, you can wait for prices to come down but you might also miss out on a vehicle that you'll probably enjoy for many years.
Attached Images