Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 07-15-2021, 07:49 PM   #15
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
OP you taking it to the track anytime soon?
Old 07-15-2021, 09:43 PM   #16
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple View Post
OP you taking it to the track anytime soon?
I think I'm going to just go ahead and go pretty soon and see what she'll do.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:00 AM   #17
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I think I'm going to just go ahead and go pretty soon and see what she'll do.
Would be good to get a baseline to start with and see how it improves along the way. Lots of great advice in the previous posts regarding rear mods.

If I had it all to do over again, I would start with the subframe bushings then move to the other suspension parts. there is a ton of wiggle in the subframe bushings and any amount of power is going to cause those to deflect. If you tighten up the suspension first, then that just puts more stress (for lack of a better word) on the factory subframe bushings. Just my $.02...

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, RPM 5” CAI, Kooks Headers, Solo Cat Back, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:07 AM   #18
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen 6.2 View Post
Would be good to get a baseline to start with and see how it improves along the way. Lots of great advice in the previous posts regarding rear mods.

If I had it all to do over again, I would start with the subframe bushings then move to the other suspension parts. there is a ton of wiggle in the subframe bushings and any amount of power is going to cause those to deflect. If you tighten up the suspension first, then that just puts more stress (for lack of a better word) on the factory subframe bushings. Just my $.02...
Ok thanks for the info. That's what I was thinking also about doing the subframe bushing first because just feeling them with my fingers they feel pretty soft.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Old 07-16-2021, 07:26 AM   #19
Ashen 6.2

Quote:
Ok thanks for the info. That's what I was thinking also about doing the subframe bushing first because just feeling them with my fingers they feel pretty soft.
This video will confirm that.. lol (if you haven't seen it already) -

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, RPM 5” CAI, Kooks Headers, Solo Cat Back, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Old 07-16-2021, 08:20 AM   #20
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
This video will confirm that.. lol (if you haven't seen it already) -
Never seen that video. What else was done to that car if you know?
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:23 AM   #21
Ashen 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
Never seen that video. What else was done to that car if you know?
I dont. I put a camera under my car last year before changing mine out and saw similar movement. Let me see if I can find it. Found it and its uploading to YouTube now.

Last edited by Ashen 6.2; 07-16-2021 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:04 AM   #22
Ashen 6.2

Quote:
I dont. I put a camera under my car last year before changing mine out and saw similar movement. Let me see if I can find it. Found it and its uploading to YouTube now.
Here is the video - https://youtu.be/_AoHc1gzmng

Its rather long but there are several spots where you can see it moving. around the 9:20 mark and 14 ark as well.

When I shot this, the car only had lowering springs, offset diff bushings, toe rods and trailing arms on the rear suspension.

Old 10-14-2021, 02:39 PM   #23
13_SS_RS

Drives: White 2013 SS/RS l99
Did you ever make it to the track joe? If you remember, our cars have similar dyno numbers. I'm going again tomorrow but a couple weeks ago I went 12.6x on a notoriously slow track. That was on the stock Pirellis with bad wheel hop on my 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I have some 275/40/20 drag radials sitting in the garage, but like you I'm going to get the bushings soon. My car really doesn't have traction issues in the 60' but does when shifting. Once I get the DR's on and the bushings, I really feel like this car is gonna be dialed in. My cam installer/tuner made M (sport mode) shift a lot harder, but I don't even use it because it just makes more wheel hop. So long story short, get the bushings because that is definitely holding our cars back.

Current: 2013 summit white Camaro 2SS l99
CAI, long tubes, ported tb, tune

Previous: 2008 jet stream blue Corvette Z06
Airraid, Corsa, MGW shifter SOLD
13_SS_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:44 PM   #24
morepowerjoe

No I didn't make it yet. Mainly because of the cost of the bushings. I got a price from my tuner for the labor on putting them in and they want $625. That and the price of the bushings makes it almost $1000. And then I had the low oil pressure deal that scared me for a while (just the sensor) and now I have one or two noisy lifters and I'm getting ready to do that. So you know how it is priority takes place first. But the good thing is that I'm getting my transmission tune dialed in so when I do go that shouldn't be an issue. Yeah like you I have my sport mode set to shift a lot firmer for the track. Also I have been practicing on a long farm road really close by to where I live and I have my traction control pretty much down now. But like you I have some wheel hop and am scared that I'm going to break something on the strip but I think I'm going to play it safe and wait until I get the bushings in. Let me know how you do on track tomorrow.

Old 10-14-2021, 04:18 PM   #25
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Good luck guys, Joe with your issues you are having as well. When I decided to do the solid subframe bushings in my Camaro, I did the Pegasus billets on the recomendation from Jordan at JDP Motorsports. They have a couple cars they track all the time. He told me for getting rid of any wheel hop I did have, and it wasn't too bad but when I hit the high RPMs on a launch sometimes it would do it, so he suggested the billet bushings would get rid of that, and it sure did!! I don't have any other suspension mods except the Pfadt 1.25 springs and never have ANY wheel hop anymore since the bushing install, been about 4 years now. I really like them except for the added noise, but it is not that noticeable at all, and the ride is still good, but she is TIGHT!!
Old 10-14-2021, 04:30 PM   #26
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Good luck guys, Joe with your issues you are having as well. When I decided to do the solid subframe bushings in my Camaro, I did the Pegasus billets on the recomendation from Jordan at JDP Motorsports. They have a couple cars they track all the time. He told me for getting rid of any wheel hop I did have, and it wasn't too bad but when I hit the high RPMs on a launch sometimes it would do it, so he suggested the billet bushings would get rid of that, and it sure did!! I don't have any other suspension mods except the Pfadt 1.25 springs and never have ANY wheel hop anymore since the bushing install, been about 4 years now. I really like them except for the added noise, but it is not that noticeable at all, and the ride is still good, but she is TIGHT!!
Thanks buddy.

Old 10-21-2021, 10:36 AM   #27
13_SS_RS

Drives: White 2013 SS/RS l99
Quote:
No I didn't make it yet. Mainly because of the cost of the bushings. I got a price from my tuner for the labor on putting them in and they want $625. That and the price of the bushings makes it almost $1000. And then I had the low oil pressure deal that scared me for a while (just the sensor) and now I have one or two noisy lifters and I'm getting ready to do that. So you know how it is priority takes place first. But the good thing is that I'm getting my transmission tune dialed in so when I do go that shouldn't be an issue. Yeah like you I have my sport mode set to shift a lot firmer for the track. Also I have been practicing on a long farm road really close by to where I live and I have my traction control pretty much down now. But like you I have some wheel hop and am scared that I'm going to break something on the strip but I think I'm going to play it safe and wait until I get the bushings in. Let me know how you do on track tomorrow.

Hey joe, didn’t end up getting to run. It was the last night to race street cars before they close down, so even though I got there in plenty of time they sold all the tech cards for the night. That being said I put my best time slip on here so maybe it can help you get an idea of your car. Probably gonna go to the next closest track that happens to be a faster track once I get the bushings in and dr’s on. (Car # is 146 and the second time slip isn’t is fast but it was the coolest r/t I’ve ever got)
Attached Images

Current: 2013 summit white Camaro 2SS l99
CAI, long tubes, ported tb, tune

Previous: 2008 jet stream blue Corvette Z06
Airraid, Corsa, MGW shifter SOLD
13_SS_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:16 PM   #28
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13_SS_RS View Post
Hey joe, didn’t end up getting to run. It was the last night to race street cars before they close down, so even though I got there in plenty of time they sold all the tech cards for the night. That being said I put my best time slip on here so maybe it can help you get an idea of your car. Probably gonna go to the next closest track that happens to be a faster track once I get the bushings in and dr’s on. (Car # is 146 and the second time slip isn’t is fast but it was the coolest r/t I’ve ever got)
Yeah that's not too bad of a time. I've been dialing in my transmission tune and I think that I just about got it where I want it now. So I think it will help at the drag strip but I'm still scared because I have this horrible clunking sound coming from the rear when switching from park to gear. So far I replaced the rear axles and checked the driveshaft and nothing changed since the axles. But as soon as I get that fixed and the bushings I'll go to the track. Thanks for the update buddy.