Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-27-2018, 12:28 AM   #1
ss_suave

Drives: Camaro
Possible Ballast issue

Well, my driver side headlight is not coming on and I'm pretty sure that I need to purchase a new ballast. I searched the forum and I didn't see anyone mentioning if the entire light would be out due to a bad ballast. I'm asking this question because the halo still glows on the driver side. I already change the bulb out and still doesn't come on, so I really want to know if I should look at any other problems because the halo still glows.

Thank you.

Text me if you have an immediate answer (985) 817-0209
ss_suave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:50 AM   #2
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I’m hoping something in these threads helps you. I’m leaning towards the second thread linked...

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391094

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502809

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:50 AM   #3
ss_suave

Thank you so much
Old 09-27-2018, 07:05 AM   #4
Junior

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS A6 AGM
Send a message via Skype™ to Junior
Yup, Halo is LED, so not really relative to the ballast.
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:28 AM   #5
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Sounds like just a ballast gone bad. As mentioned, the halo is LED. If you look at the bottom of the assembly in the picture, there's a couple screws holding a round finned ballast on the housing. I don't know if you can remove them when the housing is mounted or not.
Attached Images

Last edited by Spurshot; 09-27-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Spurshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #6
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I thought maybe she was listing to one side!
Old 09-27-2018, 09:26 AM   #7
ss_suave

Thank you ...

I went ahead and double checked everything this morning. Fuses are good and bulb that was on driver side works on passenger side. I'm ordering my new ballast from RockAuto today.

It seems as though all I have to do is jack car up, remove wheel and also remove windshield wiper reservoir to access ballast... correct?
Old 09-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #8
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_suave View Post
Thank you ...

I went ahead and double checked everything this morning. Fuses are good and bulb that was on driver side works on passenger side. I'm ordering my new ballast from RockAuto today.

It seems as though all I have to do is jack car up, remove wheel and also remove windshield wiper reservoir to access ballast... correct?
Drivers side you may also need to remove the washer fluid tank. You might want to recruit someone with small hands as well.... But you are headed in the right direction....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:34 PM   #9
ss_suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I’m hoping something in these threads helps you. I’m leaning towards the second thread linked...

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391094

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502809
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Drivers side you may also need to remove the washer fluid tank. You might want to recruit someone with small hands as well.... But you are headed in the right direction....
Thank you.. are you referring to the tank in this Youtube video at 2:20?

Old 09-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #10
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
I replaced the ballast on the drivers side a few months ago. It is very easy to do and you can replace it without having to jack the car up and remove the wheel. If you have the factory air box, just remove that and you can reach through that opening and take the ballast off (I have a CAI brand intake so all I had to do was take the lid off). There are 3 screws holding it in a "Y" formation. It took me longer to figure how to turn the ballast to line the holes up then it did to take off and put the new one back on.

Pray you never have to replace the one on the passenger side. The only way to replace it is to remove the front fascia and remove the headlight assembly.

I know you said you already ordered one, but these ballasts are used in a ton of GM vehicles and I found it a lot cheaper (less than half the price) if I ordered one marked for a Caddy than the Camaro.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:53 AM   #11
ss_suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
I replaced the ballast on the drivers side a few months ago. It is very easy to do and you can replace it without having to jack the car up and remove the wheel. If you have the factory air box, just remove that and you can reach through that opening and take the ballast off (I have a CAI brand intake so all I had to do was take the lid off). There are 3 screws holding it in a "Y" formation. It took me longer to figure how to turn the ballast to line the holes up then it did to take off and put the new one back on.

Pray you never have to replace the one on the passenger side. The only way to replace it is to remove the front fascia and remove the headlight assembly.

I know you said you already ordered one, but these ballasts are used in a ton of GM vehicles and I found it a lot cheaper (less than half the price) if I ordered one marked for a Caddy than the Camaro.

Now that is some damn good information. What model Cadillac? Yeah, my order shipped today but that’s some good information if I have to buy another. Shop near me wanted to charge $722 to change and $264 for just the ballast.. what a rip off lol.

So basically just follow the instructions in this video after the 7 minute mark?
https://youtu.be/4AF1hvxEhb4
Old 09-29-2018, 01:26 PM   #12
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_suave View Post
Now that is some damn good information. What model Cadillac? Yeah, my order shipped today but that’s some good information if I have to buy another. Shop near me wanted to charge $722 to change and $264 for just the ballast.. what a rip off lol.

So basically just follow the instructions in this video after the 7 minute mark?
https://youtu.be/4AF1hvxEhb4
I don't remember what year or model, just that when I went shopping for one it had a different part number and was labeled as for Caddy's but when I compared it to the one on the Camaro it was identical, even the technical specs.

Yea that's a ripoff. It took me about 15 mins to find the thing and figure out how to get to it, and another 45 mins to actually do it (about half that time was wondering why two of the holes wouldn't line up before I noticed the screw holes are offset and it will only go on one way lol). The ballast itself I got for around $50.

Also, a ballast will last years before they go bad so don't be afraid to get one used off of a wrecked vehicle. If you go this route, you can find them for $20-$25.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:39 PM   #13
ss_suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
I don't remember what year or model, just that when I went shopping for one it had a different part number and was labeled as for Caddy's but when I compared it to the one on the Camaro it was identical, even the technical specs.

Yea that's a ripoff. It took me about 15 mins to find the thing and figure out how to get to it, and another 45 mins to actually do it (about half that time was wondering why two of the holes wouldn't line up before I noticed the screw holes are offset and it will only go on one way lol). The ballast itself I got for around $50.

Also, a ballast will last years before they go bad so don't be afraid to get one used off of a wrecked vehicle. If you go this route, you can find them for $20-$25.

Live and you learn. I really appreciate you sharing that information with me. I ordered one from RockAuto last night and it was shipped today...should be be here Wednesday. I’m glad I don’t have to jack it up and remove the wheel anymore lol.. really didn’t feel like doing all that
Old 10-06-2018, 05:14 PM   #14
ss_suave

Quick response please.. how to remove the wire from the ballast itself? The silver foil looking wire