Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-12-2008, 03:36 PM   #15
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Not necessarily even on flat ground, for every up hill there's a down hill. Even thru 2 small rural towns on a 100 mile trip, at 55-60mph (there's most of the secret) I got 31 mpg in a 05 Sedan DeVille. Trip home drove 65-75 mph and still got 27. The rest of the secret is a steady foot and slow stops/starts. I can also make it get 10mpg but I don't.

Guess I hafta renig on the "much bigger car" comment in the above post, checked the specs on the DHS it's 3800 lbs. I'm still anxious to see what kind of numbers I can wring out of the LS3.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #16
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
If this engine was making its way into the Genesis Coupe, I'd be worried but seeing that this engine, or the Tau V8 is only being offered in the Genesis sedan, I'm not worried about it. Although it's interesting to see how Hyundai was able to improve it.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:49 PM   #17
MrKrisSullivan
New 2 The "DARK-SIDE"

Drives: 2003 Ram HEMI 4x4 Slt 20in
regardless of what the EPA states and what you actually get they are all compared the same so it doesn't really matter... SEMPER
MrKrisSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:25 PM   #18
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Not necessarily even on flat ground, for every up hill there's a down hill. Even thru 2 small rural towns on a 100 mile trip, at 55-60mph (there's most of the secret) I got 31 mpg in a 05 Sedan DeVille. Trip home drove 65-75 mph and still got 27. The rest of the secret is a steady foot and slow stops/starts. I can also make it get 10mpg but I don't.

Guess I hafta renig on the "much bigger car" comment in the above post, checked the specs on the DHS it's 3800 lbs. I'm still anxious to see what kind of numbers I can wring out of the LS3.
You don't live in BC do you. In a trip from Vancouver to Kamloops or Kelowna or any interior city your going up hill almost the whole way there, of course on the way back.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:53 PM   #19
stratman
Goldmember

Drives: 06 CTS-V
Who cares? It's a freakin Hyundai! Do you really want to try and drive a Hyundai with 460hp? Given their illustrious sports car heritage, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is nil, I would guess this thing would handle like a post office jeep with a 454 in it. The engine is impressive but as someone else mentioned, given its design it must also be expensive. A blown V8 in the Camaro would be a few grand more I'm sure. Their motor is making 40 more horse and 3-4 miles per gallon better, so they estimate, and they have to do it with a blower versus all motor. And that can be a good and a bad thing. If it craps out, big bucks on the repair. If you tune it for more power, you can probably kiss you fuel savings goodbye and who knows how much more power you can safely get out of that unproven engine design.

Gas prices are thankfully on the decline and we all are worried it will be near $4.00 again. But why is everyone harping on fuel economy SOOO much. The Camaro gets good gas mileage. It will have better gas mileage than my V6 truck for sure. Let’s not wine that it doesn’t get 35mpg. It is a sports car. It’s supposed to have BAD gas mileage. Just OK gas mileage is a gift in a good sports car. If the Camaro got 12/18mpg I would still be looking to get one. This car shouldn’t just be about getting from A to B. It should be about “kicking maximum a$$ in between” to quote Ted Nugent loosely. The day Chevy/GM start taking their performance queues from Hyundai is the day they loose my business.
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #20
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
Who cares? It's a freakin Hyundai! Do you really want to try and drive a Hyundai with 460hp? Given their illustrious sports car heritage, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is nil, I would guess this thing would handle like a post office jeep with a 454 in it. The engine is impressive but as someone else mentioned, given its design it must also be expensive. A blown V8 in the Camaro would be a few grand more I'm sure. Their motor is making 40 more horse and 3-4 miles per gallon better, so they estimate, and they have to do it with a blower versus all motor. And that can be a good and a bad thing. If it craps out, big bucks on the repair. If you tune it for more power, you can probably kiss you fuel savings goodbye and who knows how much more power you can safely get out of that unproven engine design.

Gas prices are thankfully on the decline and we all are worried it will be near $4.00 again. But why is everyone harping on fuel economy SOOO much. The Camaro gets good gas mileage. It will have better gas mileage than my V6 truck for sure. Let’s not wine that it doesn’t get 35mpg. It is a sports car. It’s supposed to have BAD gas mileage. Just OK gas mileage is a gift in a good sports car. If the Camaro got 12/18mpg I would still be looking to get one. This car shouldn’t just be about getting from A to B. It should be about “kicking maximum a$$ in between” to quote Ted Nugent loosely. The day Chevy/GM start taking their performance queues from Hyundai is the day they loose my business.
Hyundai's performance history makes me doubt the reliability, quality, and performance capacity of the Genesis.

I would love to see a fuel-efficient Camaro. It already is amazing, but we know that it can always be better. GM knows this as well, which is exactly why GM is going to continue with research to make it more efficient. I'm not whining that it isn't good enough now. I just want GM to stay competitive in all categories, and Hyundai is winning in the efficiency category.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #21
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrisSullivan View Post
regardless of what the EPA states and what you actually get they are all compared the same so it doesn't really matter... SEMPER
Ehh. Kinda. Depends on the engine. EPA tests the engine from a grandma driving style. So it really tends to matter how effecient an engine is at the lower end. When you get on it, the EPA numbers go out the window.

Good point, Im just saying, using the EPA ratings as comparison is kind of shotty. Id much rather work off of numbers given by a driver or Motor Trend and the like. You cant blame EPA though. If they gave the whole range possible on the car, from turtle driving to GET THE F*CK OUT MY WAY driving, youd have a 10MPG range.

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #22
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Hyundai's performance history makes me doubt the reliability, quality, and performance capacity of the Genesis.

I would love to see a fuel-efficient Camaro. It already is amazing, but we know that it can always be better. GM knows this as well, which is exactly why GM is going to continue with research to make it more efficient. I'm not whining that it isn't good enough now. I just want GM to stay competitive in all categories, and Hyundai is winning in the efficiency category.
Thats true. But it would be straight ignorant to ignore the changes that have occured at Hyundai. They have just about done an about-face. And if you still doubt, look at the rediculous warranty they put on their new cars. Dont think theyd be handing out the best warranty if they didnt produce some
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
reliability, quality, and performance capacity
in their cars.

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #23
xl1200r

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS/SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Ehh. Kinda. Depends on the engine. EPA tests the engine from a grandma driving style. So it really tends to matter how effecient an engine is at the lower end. When you get on it, the EPA numbers go out the window.

Good point, Im just saying, using the EPA ratings as comparison is kind of shotty. Id much rather work off of numbers given by a driver or Motor Trend and the like. You cant blame EPA though. If they gave the whole range possible on the car, from turtle driving to GET THE F*CK OUT MY WAY driving, youd have a 10MPG range.
First off, the EPA criteria changed for this year, and the general consensus is that the same car this year will have lower MPG ratings than last year, in order to give a more accurate number.

This is all good for me - my supercharged Cobalt is rated for 22 city/29 hwy, and I regularly get 27 city/32 hwy. In fact, I've seen an honest to god 37.7 mpg average driving from Detroit, MI to Albany, NY.

As for the Genisis Coupe, I'm not that worried. A supercharged, variable displacement engine is expensive, and you can't change that. Also, the car looks like they took an Acura RSX, grafted a Lexus IS 300 nose to it, and had it gain 800 lbs.
xl1200r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #24
MrKrisSullivan
New 2 The "DARK-SIDE"

Drives: 2003 Ram HEMI 4x4 Slt 20in
yep that right XL... what im trying to say Semper, is if your comparing cars the EPA has already done it for you and gave you a baseline for that comparison... I understand what your pointing out, but different drivers drive different...Say that 5 times fast LOL... The EPA compares all cars the same and from what i've seen of the new standards they are a lot more stricter... My HEMI Ram from '03 said when I bought it back the 13MPG's in the city, now if you look it up under the new "standards" it's 11MPG... check it out you'll understand more...
MrKrisSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote