Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 01-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #29
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY1STCAMAR0 View Post
I can dig that!

Even if the Z/28 releases you can bet I wouldn't buy the very first model year, I'd most likely get the 2nd or 3rd being that they will make improvements. Just like I wouldn't get a '12 ZL1, I'd get a '13 or '14.

The 1LE is an amazing car, if anything the ZL1 owners should be fearing about getting the shaft. 580HP and 426HP, what were the times at VIR again?
Coming from the guy that bought a 2013 1LE?

I don't think 1LE owners are getting shafted at all. The 1LE is an awesome car, and it's on a completely different level.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #30
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Like I said,....the 1LE is modeled after the ZL1. Not the same power plant or power numbers, but there are things that they both share.

From CAR AND DRIVER Magazine
The 1LE name is plucked from late-‘80s Chevy history—the package prepped a Camaro for road-racing duty by stripping unnecessaries like the radio and A/C, installing different gearing, upgrading the brakes, and messing with the suspension. This new-age 1LE keeps the convenience features but receives similar improvements, many of them sourced from or inspired by the ZL1.

Trickle-Down Trackonomics

Chevy previewed the 1LE package with a concept at last year’s SEMA show. The production model will replace the Camaro SS’s standard Tremec TR6060-M10 six-speed manual transmission with a close-ratio TR6060-MM6 six-speed stick and a higher final-drive ratio of 3.91:1. The transmission also gets a cooling system, like on the ZL1. The V-8's output is unchanged from that of manual SS models, at 426 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque. Suspension modifications include a larger, 27-mm front anti-roll bar, a 28-mm rear anti-roll bar, ZL1 toe links, ZL1 rear shock mounts, a strut-tower brace. Beefier half-shafts are supposed to help cope with the improved traction, wheel bearings come from the ZL1, and the fuel system has been upgraded with the ZL1’s high-capacity fuel pump and additional fuel pickups to avoid high-g fuel starvation. The 20x10 front and 20x11 rear wheels are inspired by the ZL1’s rims and are shod with 285/35ZR20 Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar G: 2 tires at all four corners, the same ones that come on the ZL1’s front wheels.

The only important items not carried over from the 1LE concept are the ZL1’s magnetorheological dampers. Instead, the production 1LE gets specifically tuned monotube dampers in place of the Camaro SS’s standard twin-tube units. We suspect price was an issue there, and that Chevy has decided to preserve some of the ZL1 suspension’s specialness by not offering it on lesser Camaros.

Here is the link for further reading, if you like.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...amaro-1le-news
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #31
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY1STCAMAR0 View Post
You know, all this LS7 Z/28 talk, whose to say a 2LE performance package with the upgrade engine wouldn't be released and the Z/28 will be released as a 6th Gen.

Just doesn't make sense with 1-2 years left for the current model why GM would release a Z/28.

1LS
2LS
1LT
2LT
1SS
2SS

"2" seems to be superior, so a 2LE seems possible. YEAH I SAID THAT!
The more developed cars are always released later in the generations production run. If an LS7 Camaro is produced you can bet it will be a Z28.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #32
SSGTNBZ
SSGTNBZ

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L-99
I think K1SSRSS said it well as I am almost to that point with my 2010 SS. I think a lot of us would love to see the Z28 return with the 427 and an awesome suspension package. Time will tell.....bottom line is we love em all!
SSGTNBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #33
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
BINGO!!!
The 1LE is a great car and it is modeled after the ZL1. If they build the Z28, so be it. Trade up in a couple of years, if that is your choice.
The 1LE is not modeled after the zl1 really... it has its own history and developmental track.... to hear AL talk about it.

The op's dog doesn't hunt... no greater value than the $3500 1LE performance package. If an LS7 Camaro is ever built it will have its own following. No envy on my part... I love the growing Camaro family!!

Quote:

The 1LE package is offered on 1SS and 2SS coupe models with an exclusive Tremec TR6060-MM6 six-speed manual transmission. Paired with a numerically higher 3.91 final-drive ratio, the close-ratio gearing of the transmission is tuned for road-racing performance. As with the ZL1, the 1LE transmission features a standard air-to-liquid cooling system for track use.

The 1LE also features exclusive, monotube rear dampers instead of the twin-tube dampers on SS models. The new hardware allowed engineers to tune the 1LE suspension to focus on optimal body-motion control while preserving much of the ride quality and wheel-motion control of the Camaro SS.

Other changes to optimize the 1LE for track-day use include:

Larger, 27-mm solid front stabilizer bar, and 28-mm solid rear stabilizer bar for improved body control
Strut tower brace for improved steering feel and response
ZL1-based 20 x 10-inch front and 20 x 11-inch rear aluminum wheels
285/35ZR20 Goodyear Eagle Supercar G:2 tires front and rear (identical to the front tires for ZL1)
ZL1 wheel bearings, toe links and rear shock mounts for improved on-track performance
ZL1 high-capacity fuel pump and additional fuel pickups for improved fuel delivery during high-load cornering.
Visually, the 1LE package is distinguished by its matte black hood, front splitter and rear spoiler – as well as the 10-spoke ZL1-based wheels, which are finished in black. The functional front splitter and rear spoiler contribute to the car’s on-track performance by helping to reduce aerodynamic lift at high speeds.

Inside, the 1LE package incorporates the ZL1’s flat-bottom steering wheel, trimmed in sueded-microfiber and designed for easier heel-and-toe driving on the racetrack. The quick-acting, short-throw shifter from the ZL1 is also trimmed in sueded-microfiber.

In anticipation of consumers entering the 1LE in amateur-racing events, Chevrolet is pursuing SCCA approval of the 1LE package for Touring Class competition.

The Camaro 1LE package was introduced in 1988, inspired by Camaro’s involvement in Pro-Am road racing.
And what is not listed there... beefier half shafts and red painted brembos (enhanced for track.... still not sure of these details)

http://youtu.be/16nyCdbVdM8
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #34
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumino1LE View Post
What are you going to do? Wait forever because something new is definitely going to be introduced next week/month/year?

So far, the 1LE has not disappointed.
Exactly...so far my 2010 SS hasn't disappointed either, just keep adding parts from the newer cooler models

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #35
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Way I look at it, there will always be faster, better looking etc models in the future. You get something that you are happy with don't let possible future models spoil that.

If you really must, then trade in what you had for the new shinier thing.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #36
right to travel

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 1LE SW
FWIW i think the 1le is modeled after the SSX but uses Zl1 stuff to make it a consumer product
right to travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #37
CoolMaster

Drives: AGM 1SS 1LE
I love the idea of the LS7 Z/28. My reason for this is.... If the Z/28 does come out, like stated in this post the line will be out the door and around the block. So, with that being said the 1LE production numbers will go way down and "we" 1LE owners will be owners of limited production number cars then watch our resale number take off.
CoolMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #38
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
If they make an LS7 i am sure it will be considerably more expensive than the 1Le package SS cars. IMHO I am not jealous of ANY Camaro owner EXCEPT the 1LE owners, those cars really deliver on their promises and should be the future inspiration for all GM cars. Just my $.02 for what it is worth.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #39
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
If they were to put the LS7 in the 1LE, the 1LE would have to be retuned again. The Chevy engineers tuned the suspension and drivetrain for the SS, because of its "dreded understeer," and to make it a track star. The 1LE has the same engine at the SS, so no horsepower difference. Whenever you add more horsepower, you have add more traction, and the only way to do that is to retune the suspension and brakes. The LS7 is a high revving engine, with 79 more horsepower and 50 more torque than the SS. With this much more horsepower, the 1LE suspension will be like driving on ice...no control. It might help with exit acceleration and top end speed, but you will need to slow rapidly and handle turns, repeatedly. Oh and I can't see Chevy going with an adjustable suspension system.

This is what I want to see and I think I saw it on the Z28 section:

LS7+ZL1 suspension-MRC(if it's possible at all)+ZL1 brakes or carbon rotors

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #40
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
what happens IF gm releases the ls7 powered car next year that is said to be all but certian? the car will for sure be a z-28 and have all the same goodies as the zl1, which really screws current 1le owners..

thoughts?
Not just the 1LE owners. I bought a 45th vert 2SS, I currently only have about 1500 miles on it and I will let it go for a Z/28. I am not mad, I just understand that things work this way. If GM put out everthing right away no one would buy. Dodge did the same with the challenger, there was a 5.7 Hemi, then the 6.1 and now the 392(6.4) Who knows, maybe they will put out a 426?

Its just one of those things. You like the 1LE, enjoy it, I enjoy my car. If they don't make an LS7 then I will be especially happy I got the 45th, but I have a feeling there is going to be a Z28. Who knows, it sould just be an engine option and no Z/28 badge. Then in 2015 we get the z/28 badge? All the 2014 LS7 people would be upset but thats how it goes.
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #41
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Here's a "What If"

I posted this What If in another thread.

What if the LS7 Camaro turns out to be a Street Legal version of the COPO instead of the Z28?
Would anyone want one?
Old 01-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #42
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 View Post
Not just the 1LE owners. I bought a 45th vert 2SS, I currently only have about 1500 miles on it and I will let it go for a Z/28. I am not mad, I just understand that things work this way. If GM put out everthing right away no one would buy. Dodge did the same with the challenger, there was a 5.7 Hemi, then the 6.1 and now the 392(6.4) Who knows, maybe they will put out a 426?

Its just one of those things. You like the 1LE, enjoy it, I enjoy my car. If they don't make an LS7 then I will be especially happy I got the 45th, but I have a feeling there is going to be a Z28. Who knows, it sould just be an engine option and no Z/28 badge. Then in 2015 we get the z/28 badge? All the 2014 LS7 people would be upset but thats how it goes.
This is very true. Special editions are one way the manufacturers keep interest, especially with these types of cars and ESPECIALLY when they are a few years into a model run. It helps keep it fresh and keep interest in product, especially with a new model on the horizon in a few short years. Only problem today is people expect more the special editions than just tape, wheels, and stickers so the best of the breed usually hits the market from the middle to the end of a model run.

Something else I have been cosidering is where exactly would an LS7 fit in the pricing structure? you have what, a 10k difference between a 2SS 1LE and the ZL1 and that is kind of a small gap, not to mention the 1LE is also dangerously close to the performance of the Zl1 in many aspects and there is a good possiblity a lighter 550 HP LS7 with the 1LEs gearing and transmission advantages could pretty easily match and even equip the ZL1. Would they try to squeexze it in the middle or would it actually be a pricier and higher model than the ZL1? Am I overthinking it?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote