Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-05-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
jake2212

Drives: none (yet)
2 problems that are making me worried...

well my first problem is a little weird and I've never heard of anything like it before. when i start my car up sometimes it starts clicking in the engine and it sounds like a baseball card in a bike spoke. it slowly fades away within 30 sec-1 min of me starting the car but it doesn't happen every time i start it, only 3 times in the past month.
My second problem is i started my car today and for a brief second it said service stabilitrak but went away. i turned my car off and back on to see if it showed up again but nothing. any helpful response is welcomed
jake2212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:28 AM   #2
oklapike

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary SS Coupe
Sorry, I've got no input on your first problem.

As far as the second goes, I had that happen occasionally with my previous car (not so far with the Camaro) and never had any serious issues develop from it.
oklapike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:46 AM   #3
chevy27

Drives: ls3 camaro ss
i had the same problem

i had the same exact problem before the service stabilitrak was popping in my dash from time to another until one day the check engine light came on and other things my advise take it to your dealer to fix it mine was fixed on warranty
Attached Images

chevy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #4
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
It probably has a lifter bleeding down when it sits for a while. You could replace them or live with it. My dodge truck does that sometimes.

My 2010 used to do the same thing with the service stabiltrack occasionally when i first turn the key. It's common, we all have decided as long as it you don't see it again after the car is running then it's not an issue.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
ditto ..what he said most likely options for a explanation
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
The CEL, Disconnect negative battery terminal over night... Fixed it for me..
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2019 Black 2SS
The L76 in my G8 GT also has the ticking sound at startup. As two_wheel_mayhem says, it's lifter tap. Disappointing that GM still hasn't addressed this but apparently not enough of an issue for them to be concerned.
rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
jake2212

Drives: none (yet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
It probably has a lifter bleeding down when it sits for a while. You could replace them or live with it. My dodge truck does that sometimes.

My 2010 used to do the same thing with the service stabiltrack occasionally when i first turn the key. It's common, we all have decided as long as it you don't see it again after the car is running then it's not an issue.
what do you mean lifter? sorry not a big gearhead
jake2212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
cmb74656

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/BLI A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake2212 View Post
what do you mean lifter? sorry not a big gearhead
It's an internal engine part that rides atop the camshaft. Your engine has two lifters per cylinder, one moves a pushrod that opens the intake valve, the other opens the exhaust valve.

MODS: RX Performance catch can, Jegs CAI, ZL1 grille, chrome license plate frame, GM locking gas cap, Defender Worx chrome DRL bezels, GM molded splash guards, Oracle LED side markers, DRLs, tag lights and reverse lamps, Technostalgia Rapid Fire tail lamps, Vitesse shift paddle extenders, MBRP cat back.
FUTURE: long tube headers, front splitter, slotted/drilled rotors, leather console and e-brake handle boot, remote fuel door and rear seat release, sway bars and bushings.
WISH LIST: Edelbrock E-Force SC, LS3 conversion
cmb74656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
Au201

Drives: Black V6 auto 2LT RS
Ill add that I've seen the service stabilitrak on my 2010 as well. If I remember correctly there's a TSB out for it. Something about reprogramming the computer. It only happens when you do the key "flick" (turn to start and let go while the computer continues cranking the engine).

Sent from my bragging iPhone using an app that encourages it.
Au201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #11
laditee

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I've had the exact same ticking sound and nothing came out of it. I actually still get it to this day but like the OP said nothing comes out of it so I just deal with it when it happens
Old 05-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
alanhurst
Master Chief

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS L99
Huh that's a new one to me. I've never even seen the service stabilitrack light except when I'm doing doughn... err I mean over aggressive turning with the nanny's turned off.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
Oldag

Drives: 2013 2SS Convertible, LS3
Could well be a lifter draining down.
Oldag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake2212 View Post
well my first problem is a little weird and I've never heard of anything like it before. when i start my car up sometimes it starts clicking in the engine and it sounds like a baseball card in a bike spoke. it slowly fades away within 30 sec-1 min of me starting the car but it doesn't happen every time i start it, only 3 times in the past month.
My second problem is i started my car today and for a brief second it said service stabilitrak but went away. i turned my car off and back on to see if it showed up again but nothing. any helpful response is welcomed
Hello jake2212,

Sorry to hear about your multiple concerns. I know that can be a bit irritating, especially when an issue is sporadic. Feel free to PM me with your VIN and mileage so I can research these matters further. Thanks!

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care