Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-10-2011, 12:04 AM   #15
pogiskier

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss black,hurst shifter
Just to clarify a little Hydrolocking is when you suck a bunch of water into your engine and because water does not compress is will break stuff like rings and some times a rod. if you find your self dead in water DO NOT TRY to START YOUR CAR! first tow it out of the puddle then check the air filter if wet then you have water. so next remove all sparkplugs with them all out then try to start your car this will turn the engine over and hope fully push any water out of the cylinders. If water comes out in significant amounts then take your car to a shop. If it turns over fine and no water comes out then put new sparkplugs in and hopefully all is well. that is replacing the wet air filter first and making sure the air pathway is also dry. Sense you said that your engine still turned over There is hope. When I drove my 4runner through a puddle 3 ft deep it dyed and after removing all plugs i still could not get the engine to turn over even by trying to pull start it. It was dead and that was the end of my offroading.
Good luck to the OP.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:07 AM   #16
pogiskier

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss black,hurst shifter
By pull starting I mean, being pulled by a truck.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:11 AM   #17
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Yeah I was thinking for doing the ADM scoop for my CAI Industries. But a couple weeks ago I got forced into a big puddle and when I open my hood when I got home the inside of my intake box had water on it and there where water drops on the filter.

That told me no scoop for me, why would I want to chance throwing more water up in there.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:20 AM   #18
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Member Goliath seems to have a similar issue in the below thread. Specifically the service stabilitrak and the car won't start. No mention of a puddle, I don't think you locked the engine up, but sounds like something with stabilitrak got jacked up on the car. He refers to a ticking sound like your hearing too.

Quote:
I thought the issue was fix by reflashing the ECM by the dealership 2 weeks ago. Again, it came back on Saturday night and I had to call a tow truck. The relay fuze was making a loud ticking noise, but the engine won't crank. After the tow guy dropped my car off to the dealership drop-off point, he started the car back up. WTF!!! ...This has been the 10th time the car won't start and start back up normally after 1 hour or so. I'm sick and tire of the run around that excuse "I can't fix your car issue, unless it break down for real." What happen when my warranty runs out?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133398
Old 03-10-2011, 07:33 AM   #19
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Member Goliath seems to have a similar issue in the below thread. Specifically the service stabilitrak and the car won't start. No mention of a puddle, I don't think you locked the engine up, but sounds like something with stabilitrak got jacked up on the car. He refers to a ticking sound like your hearing too.
+1. I had something similar happen though when the fusebox in my van got wet. Fuses get wet and short, then dry out and it runs, and if the source of the leak is still there, it happens again when it gets wet again.

So, check your fuses and fusebox.

BTW, I have a Fastlane Pipeline intake that draws from below the headlight. No worries so far even after yesterday's big storm. Though I am a little more careful with it.

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #20
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
It's going to need a technician, scanner, and service manual.

I'd first check the air filter, if it's wet, remove all spark plugs and check for water in motor.

If the filter is dry, check for codes with the scanner. Then go down the diagnostics in the service manual for whichever condition it has. There is different diagnostics depending on whether it cranks over or not, and depending on which codes are in the system.

Without a scanner and service manual everything else is guesses. Unless of course water comes pouring out the spark plugs, then that is pretty easy - call the insurance co.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #21
iBMV6

Drives: IBM
Thanks for the quick responses guys! Checked the air filter today and it did have some water in it, but luckily the engine still turns over. Gave a call to insurance and they'll be down to appraise the damage tomorrow afternoon.
iBMV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #22
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
If the engine turns over then it is not hydrolocked, some of the electrics are most likely wet and preventing it from starting. If there is a substancial amount of water in the filter some may have gotten into the motor, if that's the case removing the plugs will reveal this.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #23
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
ingen is like a vacuum, no?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #24
KnightRiderSS
Voodoo Medicine Man

Drives: Black 2SS with RS package
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBMV6 View Post
Thanks for the quick responses guys! Checked the air filter today and it did have some water in it, but luckily the engine still turns over. Gave a call to insurance and they'll be down to appraise the damage tomorrow afternoon.

Could you wring water out of it? Did you see moisture in your intake after you took the filter off?

If your engine is turning over I doubt it is locked up...
Old 03-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #25
KnightRiderSS
Voodoo Medicine Man

Drives: Black 2SS with RS package
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
If the engine turns over then it is not hydrolocked, some of the electrics are most likely wet and preventing it from starting. If there is a substancial amount of water in the filter some may have gotten into the motor, if that's the case removing the plugs will reveal this.
+1

Sorry didn't see your post
Old 03-11-2011, 05:53 AM   #26
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
ingen is like a vacuum, no?
Nah, I have the long tube intake. The filter is right behind the left fog light. I did put on the hydroshield over the filter and haven't had a problem yet. Plus the fender liner and front fascia keep water from bombarding it.

Now you're absolutely right if it was in standing water, it would suck it right up. Let's just hope that never happens.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #27
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
Lets say your an automotive engineer and you are designing a car. You don't design to defeat a 8" of water?

Subscribed.

2010 CGM 2SS LS3, born: 4/10
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #28
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
This has been a common problem with a lot of newer cars for years...the intakes are usually routed low, say below a headlight to keep the 'sucking noise' out of the interior.

Was at a BMW dealer back in '89. Guy had a BRAND NEW BMW 750iL V12 that he drove through a puddle. The guy was pissed that BMW would not cover the engine failure...and they were quoting him $24,000 +!!

Good luck to the OP.