Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-03-2017, 12:03 AM   #1
SSDanny

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
Turbocharging and Forged Internals?

Hey guys, so, I am currently waiting and saving up for a turbo kit to come out for the 6th gen SS (since from what I know, there isn't one out there yet). My concerns are, does anyone have an estimate on how much it would cost to go forged internals on the engine? Also, is 650-700whp the most the car can go without a piston breaking? My plan is to have a really conservative turbo build on the car if I don't go forged internals where I can have just right around 600whp (I just want some more power and nice turbo spool noises, not much crazy horsepower numbers lol). Thanks...
SSDanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:21 AM   #2
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDanny View Post
Hey guys, so, I am currently waiting and saving up for a turbo kit to come out for the 6th gen SS (since from what I know, there isn't one out there yet). My concerns are, does anyone have an estimate on how much it would cost to go forged internals on the engine? Also, is 650-700whp the most the car can go without a piston breaking? My plan is to have a really conservative turbo build on the car if I don't go forged internals where I can have just right around 600whp (I just want some more power and nice turbo spool noises, not much crazy horsepower numbers lol). Thanks...
Well, the good news is your crank and rods are already forged. You can also purchase a set of drop in forged pistons for the lt1.

http://vengeanceracing.net/vengeance...1-pistons.html

Me personally I like to leave stuff stock and then just rebuild them when they blow. These drivetrains are so mass produced. It's not like say, a new amg, that if you blow the motor or trans you're out 20k. The core replacement costs are cheap enough that it starts to make sense to wait to build. Unless of course you know for a fact you're going to exceed the well known limitations.

Just keep in mind don't listen to the crazy numbers that are common on forums, only 6 psi of boost will feel like a monster compared to stock. The higher in power you go it gets exponentially more expensive. You need to upgrade more and more and after awhile your car has so many aftermarket parts on it, it just becomes an unreliable hot mess.
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:29 AM   #3
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
Since people keep asking about turbo kits I emailed agp. This was Kevin's response. It is a pretty nice kit, I helped install one a few months ago.

We are building the Camaro6 kits, just not on the website. They are $9000 with the EFR's and some more things than original.
We are about 6 weeks out on orders.

Kevin
Old 05-03-2017, 07:02 AM   #4
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
If that's all the power you want EVER want.. I would just go the blower route and the LT-4 upgrades.. lift pump, HP pump, and injectors..may consider the lingenfelter pump for it flows 30% more just pricey.. If people are honestly giving there opinions or experienced all 3 setups like I have (Centri, PD and Turbo) the PD blowers drive like stock cars with all the power you will ever need and the power is more predictable.. If you have huge plans then by all means do the turbo kit and wait for AGP or use a reputable shop that will design a custom kit around the stock exhaust manifolds. what ever way you go consider saving money for the fuel upgrades for the SS will hit the safe limit just at 600 maybe lower depending on the power adder brand and how much air it moves..

Does this mean I hate my turbos hell no If i'm going out to race I don't leave home with out it but, I cant knock my 6gen its pretty quick to.. but omg it so comfortable and the manners are spot on and it beat a lot cars to..for a dailey its baddazz..

My end goal for the 6gen SS would be a smooth idle cam with 38% fuel lobe, LT4 fuel system and e85.. that would do 700.. I might do the drop in slugs to lower compression a bit.. I want this to drive as stock as possible with as much power as possible lol.. this never gets old from 25 years of modding cars..

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
David@Vengeance

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
A turbo setup on these cars would be extremely fun, so I do not blame you for wanting to go this route! As mentioned already, the AGP systems are out and available, just not widely advertised yet. There's a few threads here you can search for of others with the kit on their cars currently.

We offer a drop-in forged piston set for the LT1 developed with Wiseco to use your OEM connecting rod and not require rebalancing of the engine. I have provided a link below for our kit. We keep these on the shelf and ready to ship same or next day in most cases. One thing to note is that if you are going this far into the engine, this is the best time to get rid of the AFM system and do a camshaft in the car as well. This will ultimately help with not only power, but reliability and fueling capabilities as well.

650-700whp is about the limit that we start to see failures on the LT1 pistons, and most all have lived successfully at the 600whp range with proper tuning. You do have options on superchargers as well to make this power including the LT4 route, Whipple, Magnuson, ECS, and Procharger. If turbos are your ultimate goal, contact Kevin @ AGP and he'll get you squared away on a quality system for the car!
David@Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:55 PM   #6
SSDanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@Vengeance View Post
A turbo setup on these cars would be extremely fun, so I do not blame you for wanting to go this route! As mentioned already, the AGP systems are out and available, just not widely advertised yet. There's a few threads here you can search for of others with the kit on their cars currently.

We offer a drop-in forged piston set for the LT1 developed with Wiseco to use your OEM connecting rod and not require rebalancing of the engine. I have provided a link below for our kit. We keep these on the shelf and ready to ship same or next day in most cases. One thing to note is that if you are going this far into the engine, this is the best time to get rid of the AFM system and do a camshaft in the car as well. This will ultimately help with not only power, but reliability and fueling capabilities as well.

650-700whp is about the limit that we start to see failures on the LT1 pistons, and most all have lived successfully at the 600whp range with proper tuning. You do have options on superchargers as well to make this power including the LT4 route, Whipple, Magnuson, ECS, and Procharger. If turbos are your ultimate goal, contact Kevin @ AGP and he'll get you squared away on a quality system for the car!
Thank you! Got all the answers I needed.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #7
ProCharger

Drives: Many C7's
Quote:
Originally Posted by David@Vengeance View Post

I have personally installed/used a set of these "Drop in Pistons"

And can vouch for their quality, and how great they work!

Well done guys!
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #8
SSDanny

One thing I forgot to mention, is how will the M6 transmission handle those power numbers as well?
Old 05-05-2017, 12:42 PM   #9
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
One thing I forgot to mention, is how will the M6 transmission handle those power numbers as well?
I've been fine but I would think the clutch will go sooner. Same for the rear diff, driveshaft and axles. You're going to be fine for a while though. Gforce is supposed to be coming with a 9" rear-end so I'd ride it out until something breaks. By then you can get yourself the 9" rear, driveshaft and axles. Some people upgraded their axles and driveshaft already but you'd have to replace them all over again if you get the 9" rear-end later, so I don't see the point. The half shafts have been tested by aftermarket companies and are good for around 700rwhp. My car's never been to the strip but I've launched it hard more than a few times and nothing has broken so far.

You are going to need rear upper and lower trailing arms (BMR) though, but they're cheap (like $400 and they include bushings). Grab yourself a $150 driveshaft loop for insurance and you should be good to go.

One other thing to consider is a post I saw from the ProCharger guy about ring gaps. Do some research on that.

And get yourself the 6 piston brakes if you don't already have them.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boost, forced induction, forged internals, turbo