Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - New England

Phastek Performance

Old 11-16-2018, 09:05 AM   #1
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
To northeastern snowstorm people

How many people drove in the storm yesterday or today and how did your Camaro end up doing in it and what kind of snow tires do you have ?
I got home from work before it started at around noon yesterday , I was gonna go in for 3am today (about a 25 minute drive)but got a call to go in at 5am instead then a 8:30 am call, then while shoveling out this morning I got a call stay home which is fine with me.
We’ll see how my car makes out tomorrow at 2:30am
Wondering how everyone else made out.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #2
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
My Camaro was sleeping comfortably in the garage.

For most everyone else that had to drive home during "rush hour" it turned into a nightmare. Roads were unplowed and unsalted. My wife left work before 2 PM and it took over 3 hours to get home. She was one of the lucky ones.

Most people were stuck on jammed roads in bumper to bumper traffic for several hours. It took my son EIGHT hours to go about 35 miles. Accidents and stuck vehicles were epidemic. And we're talking about cars with front wheel drive.

If you had a Camaro out in that mess and made it home safely, God bless.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:26 AM   #3
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets12 View Post
How many people drove in the storm yesterday or today and how did your Camaro end up doing in it and what kind of snow tires do you have ?
I got home from work before it started at around noon yesterday , I was gonna go in for 3am today (about a 25 minute drive)but got a call to go in at 5am instead then a 8:30 am call, then while shoveling out this morning I got a call stay home which is fine with me.
We’ll see how my car makes out tomorrow at 2:30am
Wondering how everyone else made out.
I ended up driving in it. It wasn’t bad at all over here. They were using rock salt on the roads. I have the Goodyear Fl Asemetric All-Seasons and snow mode, didn’t slide at all.

I got her in the garage and washed her too from bottom and underneath. They didn’t use a lot of salt so I wasn’t worried.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #4
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
It was an adventure in patience and throttle manipulation AND I left work EARLY, like 2pm, otherwise I may as well parked it and walked home.

Pilot Sport 4S Ok on wet, as snow as it packed up under tires, going no where fast.

Enjoy

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #5
Tyl3r

Drives: Camaro 2LT
I drove in it. I did not plan on there being snow. I was shocked by how bad these handle in the snow. I used to drive an Accord.
Tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #6
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I did as the Chevy engineers do and put Pirelli Sottozero snow tires on for November through March. Pick up a used set of OEM rims and your car will always look factory (good).

I had Sottozero on gray split spokes from my 16 Camaro so I went with them on my 18
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 11-16-2018 at 10:06 AM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
NYJets12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado57 View Post
My Camaro was sleeping comfortably in the garage.

For most everyone else that had to drive home during "rush hour" it turned into a nightmare. Roads were unplowed and unsalted. My wife left work before 2 PM and it took over 3 hours to get home. She was one of the lucky ones.

Most people were stuck on jammed roads in bumper to bumper traffic for several hours. It took my son EIGHT hours to go about 35 miles. Accidents and stuck vehicles were epidemic. And we're talking about cars with front wheel drive.

If you had a Camaro out in that mess and made it home safely, God bless.
Roads in PA sucked to , no reason why roads weren’t plowed and salted they knew it was coming for 5-6 days , they didn’t even pre-treat the roads which they should have.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
NYJets12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyl3r View Post
I drove in it. I did not plan on there being snow. I was shocked by how bad these handle in the snow. I used to drive an Accord.
Snow tires and snow/ice mode did this last year no problems, if you’re talking about sleet,freezing rain doesn’t matter what you drive any car is going for a ride on that gotta slow down. You still can’t do 65 on the interstate in a snowstorm in a camaro or in any car for that matter , people in suvs think there invincible don’t slow down and end up crashing.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:04 AM   #9
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyl3r View Post
Hmm odd well you’re more north than I am right now. I had no issues last winter and this winter. If you have issues don’t use the stock tires, get BF or Michelin. Great tires. Use snow and ice mode as well.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:05 AM   #10
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Snow tires and snow/ice mode did this last year no problems, if you’re talking about sleet,freezing rain doesn’t matter what you drive any car is going for a ride on that gotta slow down. You still can’t do 65 on the interstate in a snowstorm in a camaro or in any car for that matter , people in suvs think there invincible don’t slow down and end up crashing.
You’re right on the money. Driving in the snow is all common sense. It’s other people you have to worry about.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #11
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
I used it yesterday and drove home in the mess. We didn't get a lot but nothing was done to the roads so all the snow was packed and then it started to sleet and then rain.
I have the Conti DWS-06. I put two 50 lb bags of icemelt in the trunk and did ok. Where the inclines were steep, I was afraid of getting stuck but I shut off traction control, started in 2nd (A8) and put my foot to the floor. The ass end wanted to slide right but I was able to straighten out and get moving. I think I took a few hundred miles off the life of the rears.
On flat roads I moved along very well. I think if I were to drive this car in snow on a regular basis I would get dedicated snow tires and wheels.
I am not going to say that it was a breeze, but I did make it. I was very surprised and happy how well it did. I saw a few AWD cars and SUVs not doing do well.
On
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #12
Capisce

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
I didn't put my blizzaks on yet as I normally do it around thankgiving and drove to work with the stock summers when the forecast said an hour of snow followed by rain. At 5PM the car was sliding all over the parking lot. I pulled back in the spot and left it.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #13
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
We had ice with light snow on top the last two days, I just went slow in touring mode and it was fine. Just on the stock all seasons.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:27 AM   #14
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
... You still can’t do 65 on the interstate in a snowstorm in a camaro or in any car for that matter , people in suvs think there invincible don’t slow down and end up crashing.
Yep. As long as they don't crash into me!