Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-03-2016, 01:47 AM   #1
sspolo

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Should have gotten a V6

I hate it when people stop me and ask me what's under the hood. Yea, it's got the LS3. Oh what you want me to rev it? Fine... It just gets so annoying! Can't stand it.

Why didn't I get a V6, you say? It gets better gas mileage? Well I just like the the power the engine makes from the lower RPMs and love the sound of the V8. Sure, the extra ~4 MPG would be great and all but who cares.

Yea, I think that a Camaro is a Camaro even if it ever gets an electric engine instead of gas. However, I feel the need to justify my purchase to strangers such as yourself (people reading this forum).
sspolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:34 AM   #2
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
People who hate on you for having an SS are just jelly and hating because they're stuck with the poochy V6. Sure, it's a decent little engine for a base model and it is what basically allowed GM to sell so many of them besides the good looks. But, you'd have to spend an arm and a leg on a V6 to even begin to compete with what the SS has in stock form. Plus, the 6.2L Gen IV isn't plagued with the unfortunate side effects of DI either. Some people buy the base model because they don't really want or need the big honkin' V8 and that's their choice. Different strokes from different folks. But comparing V6 base models to other similar cars, the only direct competitor is the 3.7L Mustang and it will mop the floor with a 3.6L Camaro mod for mod and stock for stock.
But I digress...........Enjoy your car. It's yours and as long as you are happy, who gives 2 sh*ts what anyone else thinks...........

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:43 AM   #3
benji276289

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS1LE, 6 spd.man., Ora
Send a message via Skype™ to benji276289
It would be interesting to learn how many owners originally purchased a V6 then traded up fairly quickly to a V8 for whatever reason. That is probably why GM sells the V6 version. They figure they will sell two cars eventually when people trade up. I know I fell into that trap.
benji276289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:41 AM   #4
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i have a friend who bought ,in this order,a v6.traded for RS.thenSS,which he couldnt afford to keep.wound up in a v6 mustang.he claims he didnt like the ride so he went back and got another RS,which he liked but by this time with all the trading he was so far underwater he owed far more than his 2011 RS was worth.he is now driving a 2012 nissan altima which he dislikes but its all he can afford.keep in mind this is a retired guy.the only place he drives is to the grocery store,doctors office,and local car shows and he never goes over 75-80 mph.he only wanted the SS so he could brag at the friday night car show that he has a v-8.well now all he has is a 4 cylinder and its not even in a camaro...poor guy.im 58 years old,the v-6 RS model is great for me,but if you bought/like your SS thats wonderful.to each his own.i will admire your SS,after all,the styling,comfort,etc. is great but im perfectly happy with my RS.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:56 AM   #5
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspolo View Post
I hate it when people stop me and ask me what's under the hood. Yea, it's got the LS3. Oh what you want me to rev it? Fine... It just gets so annoying! Can't stand it.

Why didn't I get a V6, you say? It gets better gas mileage? Well I just like the the power the engine makes from the lower RPMs and love the sound of the V8. Sure, the extra ~4 MPG would be great and all but who cares.

Yea, I think that a Camaro is a Camaro even if it ever gets an electric engine instead of gas. However, I feel the need to justify my purchase to strangers such as yourself (people reading this forum).
Haha!! This is a spoof on all the should have gotten a v8 threads from the V6 guys right?

I never had anyone ask why I didn't get the lessor of anything. Good one.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:54 AM   #6
Orange skid mark
Just an average Dude

Drives: 2015 1LT Grey w/Orange Rally Stripe
If I put less mileage on my car every day I would have gotten a V8 too but for my daily driver it just doesn't make sense. I just turned 10k on the odometer this morning - will put on about 20k per year. Why wear out one of those V8's doing the daily grind of a V6.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:55 AM   #7
Backspin9

Drives: The red one
I got a V6 because it was going to be a daily driver and I wanted the economy while still being able to drive a car I really love. I've done a few things to mine and it runs and sounds great. It has all the power I need for a daily commute.

That said, if I was buying another Camaro and it was going to be a part-time driver and garage queen I'd go with a V8.
Backspin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:59 AM   #8
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
v6 is ok if you need a car to get from A to B.. if you want the full fat real deal then u have to buy the v8..
i had a v6 mustang and ofc all the haters that cant even afford any car would say oh it's only a v6..i wont make the same mistake again
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:18 AM   #9
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I was once told by someone they can tell mine's a V6 because I don't have a mail slot

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:26 AM   #10
Repooh
Certified: Slow

Drives: 2014 Ashen Grey 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
I was once told by someone they can tell mine's a V6 because I don't have a mail slot
Thats one hell of a v6....I would embrace it haha I saw a guy with a twin turbo v8 mustang that badges it with v6 badges to screw with people

2014 Ashen Grey Camaro 1SS/RS LS3
Winter Vehicle- 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
Repooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:38 AM   #11
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
i garantee if you bought a v6 camaro and you're like most of us it's your baby..then about a week after buying it you'll think to yourself why did i do that
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:09 AM   #12
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Tired of people coming up to me and asking if I have a V8, and that it looks and sounds great... so annoying!
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:27 AM   #13
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Tired of people coming up to me and asking if I have a V8, and that it looks and sounds great... so annoying!
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #14
Yellow 1
Grumpy Grey-haired Guy

Drives: Camaro, Corvette & Merc C300(daily)
I wonder if the V6 guys beat on the inline-4 guys on Gen6 forum in the way the V8 guys do on the V6 guys here? If you got a Camaro, you're a car guy. you guys are all lucky you can still buy home-produced product and support your own and anyway, a guy in a Camaro isn't in a Hyundai or Japcan.

Other far more important sh1t to worry about frankly - like Pokémon Go, or that dude with the wonky missiles next door to South Korea. Just saying....

Tags
www.camaro5.com