Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #1
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Dual mode exhaust - can it be modded and keep the functionality?

Since the Corvette LT1 and current manual LS3 offer dual mode, I thought I'd ask and see what people know.

I love the dual mode exhaust on both the V8 and V6. I probably wouldn't mess with it much.

But does anyone know how far, if at all, it can be tweaked before you lose the functionality? The huge trashcans on the 6th gen (yes I know they are for better air movement) kind of suck in terms of looks, and probably weight. Would be nice to pull them and lose some weight, but I'm guessing that trash can houses the flaps or whatever is used to control the dual mode exhaust.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

If anything...and they can't be removed, I guess I'd probably just paint them with a high temp black.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:02 PM   #2
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
yeaaaa I would think that's where the valves are. not going to be able to do much modification from the muffler aft. prior to the muffler is another story im sure.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #3
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
The flapper valves are in the exhaust tips on the current generation. Pretty sure it's the same on 6th
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #4
Insidian

Drives: '14 Camaro 2SS/RS NPP RRM
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
The flapper valves are in the exhaust tips on the current generation. Pretty sure it's the same on 6th
This. You can see them if you look in the exhaust tip.
Apex Catch Can - to be installed
Insidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:44 PM   #5
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Gonna be tough to modify the factory exhaust. It's either keep the factory or remove it all and replace with cat back. I've always replaced my exhaust but on the 6gen I will probably leave the factory dual mode just to keep it stock.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #6
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
On the 5th gen it sounds amazing with longtubes anyway. No need to change in my opinion
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #7
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I hope there is still a fuse pull to keep them wide open all the time. That's how I run my 1LE and I love it.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #8
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
Borla and at least one other company (if I recall correctly) make dual-mode aftermarket catbacks for the C7 using the stock actuators and so retain the stock dual mode functionality, but with even more aggressive sound. Maybe they or other companies will do the same for the 6th gen?

The 6th gen dual-mode exhaust will be set up like the 2015 Corvette, in that you can change how aggressive it sounds. It isn't like the old dual-mode that you can't adjust. However, like the Corvette, there will probably be a small rpm/throttle window in which it won't ever be in full loud mode (probably to reduce drone at certain lower RPM's). This small window of quiet(er) mode would be the only reason to pull the fuse, but then you lose the ability to quiet it down at all. We'll have to see how the Camaro does it for sure, but if it's anything like my C7 then I don't feel that it's worth losing the adjustability. It is an absolutely wonderful system. YMMV
ALLTRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:42 PM   #9
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I hope there is still a fuse pull to keep them wide open all the time. That's how I run my 1LE and I love it.
That's probably what adjusting it to "track" mode will sound like. I think you'll be able to adjust the exhaust independently of the driving mode, so you should be able to have the driving mode in tour or something with the exhaust set to track for the sound. That's how I interpret the information they've released on it, anyway.
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #10
2qwik2katch

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
On the 5th gen it sounds amazing with longtubes anyway. No need to change in my opinion
I love my NPP with long tubes and high flow cats. Everyone compliments the sound. Too bad I have not heard my own car drive off as I don't let anyone drive it. I hope this stays the same on the 6th gen.
2qwik2katch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:04 PM   #11
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
How loud does the dual mode exhaust get? I don't need it to be Borla Atak or whatever loud, but I'd like it to be a decent volume when I get on it. I'd like the best of both worlds as I won't always be in the car by myself. Haven't heard the current one with dual mode.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:20 PM   #12
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
There will most likely be a resonator you can delete...But I would think if you're getting the dual mode exhaust you will keep the mufflers. Long tubes are an option, but the gains may not be huge due to tri Y headers stock.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:26 PM   #13
Insidian

Drives: '14 Camaro 2SS/RS NPP RRM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
How loud does the dual mode exhaust get? I don't need it to be Borla Atak or whatever loud, but I'd like it to be a decent volume when I get on it. I'd like the best of both worlds as I won't always be in the car by myself. Haven't heard the current one with dual mode.

Here's a video of my '14 with dual mode exhaust on the dyno, bone stock. Should give you an idea. Loud enough, but not obnoxiously loud.

Apex Catch Can - to be installed
Insidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #14
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Good information....so sounds like if you want it any louder while keeping stock functionality, you'll need to remove any resonators, or do something that alters the stock cats (headers / high flow cats) but the trash can will likely have to stay in place until a company comes up with another exhaust that uses the stock tips.