Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
coolingmist

Drives: fast
coming soon all new CMGS System X Meth Injection with "Auto Learn"

We have been working hard over the last 9 months on a brand new CMGS failsafe system. We took into account all of the feedback we got from our customers both good and bad and designed a system to be higher performance and very simple. We hope to have this released by the end of APRIL, but currently is not released. We continue to support our regular CMGS system as well.

This is a vastly different system than what we currently use. Simple to install, simple to use, high performance has again been the hallmark of what we are doing. The flow sensor that we have been using is not compatible with 100% methanol due to the fact that water has better cooling and can pull the heat away from the bearings far better than methanol. While we recommend 50/50 for safety purposes we realize that many of you like to run high concentrations and are ok with assuming all risks of doing that. What we did was 2 fold. First we designed an all new sensor to detect faults and changed the code on the controller to radically change how the failsafe works and is setup.

The changes are so dramatic and detailed that it will take many, many posts to detail this so I will start a little at a time to benefit all of you that want to see what have to offer.

Currently our CMGS has 18 parameters that you can change. All of the current parameters that you see are going away. There are a few params which I will discuss later. This system is an "autolearn" system so it will figure out what you want.

When we designed our current CMGS system originally it was an all in one system so you did not need multiple gauges and junction boxes. We found that setting the failsafe to work required multiple settings and trial and error. Like other failsafes on the market the system has a high flow, low flow and a threshold of some kind. Thats good for a basic failsafe but requires you to set it up and also does little to protect you agains specific flow errors. This is not unique to our system. Most other failsafes on the market do the same thing. The new CMGS System X is designed to innovate and make things simple.

CHANGES:

1) MAF or BOOST injection. Now you can choose to inject based on MAF using our system. MAF range is 200 to 20,000 HZ so you can easily find the camaro range there.

2) The "flow bar" across the top is now automatic. No need to set it. We will discuss this later.

3) The 3 digit display on the middle can now display BAR for those not in the USA. When you set the display mode to bar, turning the MIN/MAX will be in BAR as well.

4) Those that use 70% methanol or less can still use our flow sensor with this system, however we have a new "fault sensor" we will be discussing later that can be used with the flow sensor or instead of the flow sensor.
5) no need to turn the failsafe on, its automatic now. If you wish for any reason to turn it off, you can do so within the configuration. NOTE: If you are injecting based on MAF you cant use the flow sensor, but you can use our new FCB Will discuss later.

6) The new FCB "fault sensor" has a ground activation output that can be used as a dedicated solenoid activation. This is one thing that our customers wanted.

7) one of the few configuration options is the ability to run the pump at any dutycycle you want for priming the system. Just go into configuration mode, turn the knob to the DC you want and it turns on until you exit. This was a very big request.

8) when the system first powers up there is a 10 second wait period that shows the flash version # of the system but also lights up the flow bars to show you what has been learned in the failsafe tables (will discuss this in detail later).

9) For those of you that continue to use the flow sensor it will be required to move the flow sensor in the engine bay close to the injector. There is no more configuration option for the flow. this simplifies things.

10) We feel a failsafe should be something that protects the engine under all circumstances. Our system will constantly look at the injection state and compare to the injection command, if the pump ever comes on when it should not, it will shut the pump off. This includes any malfunction with the car, controller or pump. You will get a "999" error code and the pump will shut off until you re-start the car. If the problem did not go away, it will shut off again. This is not something that would be a common problem. This may be something that is the customers fault for installation or may be some other fault, but if this saves one persons engine, its well worth it.

11) yellow failsafe wire can be used for NO or NC operation as normal but also can be used for non failsafe things such as turning something on at your min or max boost. Most of you will not use the feature.

I will have much greater details as I have time. Follow this thread to see where we are and where we are going.

Here is a picture of the new failsafe control box. Its rugged potted electronics so it does not care what kind of fluid you use or if you install in engine bay or in the trunk or even in the car itself. Part is about 1.2 inches by .9 inches.

How does the failsafe work?
Let say you install the system with the Failsafe Control Box and no flow sensor. In that case the system logs information about the pump. It logs the dutycycle, the electrical state and a few other measurable features of the pump. These are logged from 25% to 100% dutycycle as the system learns. Once the system has learned the failsafe will become active.
Let say you have the failsafe control box + flow sensor. In addition to the items listed above with the FCB, the system will log your flow rate as well from 25% to 100% dutycycle.

If the system is not working correctly, you will get error codes and the failsafe will trip based on how you want it to work. There are 4 configuration settings that allow you to adjust the variance sensitivity. You can set the Low flow variance, high flow variance, low pump variance and high pump variance. By default it comes with a good map to protect against failures but if you need it more sensitive you can adjust.
If you have the flow sensor, the bars across the top will automatically display flow. If you dont have it, it will automatically display pump dutycycle.

Various Diagrams:

Last edited by coolingmist; 04-06-2011 at 10:50 AM.
coolingmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
coolingmist

To be a little more clear on how easy this is for the auto learn failsafe. Just install it and drive around. As you drive it will learn and store all the data in a table so it knows how the system should be working. From there if you want you can fine tune it, but most of you will likely leave it as is.

CM
Old 04-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
As a previous [and happy] customer of yours, I'm very happy to see this new design taking place. I just wanted to share an important point that should be taken into considerations at all time.

You had noted that water does a better job in cooling factor. I'm not in a position to dispute it or challenge it. I'll take it as an info coming in.

In F/I there two important factors than need to be take into considerations:
a) The boosted air is hotter than non boosted air.
b) Higher Octane plays a more important role in F/I than N/A.

I see you're pointing out the kit resolves the first issue, using water, but in many cases the use of Methanol is mainly used not only for cooling, but more importantly for raising the Octane of pump gas. I've seen an engine blew up as soon as the meth ran out on a race. Just to show you a drop in Octane caused detonation and blew up the engine.

I'm sharing this comment that the kit must conform to both benefits and not weighing on just the cooling part.

Hope this helps!
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
coolingmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
As a previous [and happy] customer of yours, I'm very happy to see this new design taking place. I just wanted to share an important point that should be taken into considerations at all time.

You had noted that water does a better job in cooling factor. I'm not in a position to dispute it or challenge it. I'll take it as an info coming in.

In F/I there two important factors than need to be take into considerations:
a) The boosted air is hotter than non boosted air.
b) Higher Octane plays a more important role in F/I than N/A.

I see you're pointing out the kit resolves the first issue, using water, but in many cases the use of Methanol is mainly used not only for cooling, but more importantly for raising the Octane of pump gas. I've seen an engine blew up as soon as the meth ran out on a race. Just to show you a drop in Octane caused detonation and blew up the engine.

I'm sharing this comment that the kit must conform to both benefits and not weighing on just the cooling part.

Hope this helps!
Your opinions are always welcome. I do not advocate running more than 50% methanol due to safety reasons. Methanol is highly flammable, boils at 147F, Has a very low flash point. Having said that, I know alot of you like to so thats up to you. Its important for safety and liability reasons that you guys understand our point of view. I dont ever want to hear "you told me to run 100% methanol and my car caught fire". In otherwords, if you choose to run a mixture as flammable as 100%, you assume all risks.

I hope that makes sense. We are in the business of building kits and I want them to be the most roboust available regardless of what the customer uses.

CM
Old 04-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
coolingmist

For the record, Water prevents detonation better than methanol. You may get max power with methanol, but you get the best combination of power and safety with water/meth mix.

CM
Old 04-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolingmist View Post
For the record, Water prevents detonation better than methanol. You may get max power with methanol, but you get the best combination of power and safety with water/meth mix.

CM
Excellent point. Thank you Sir!
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote