Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 03-19-2019, 01:14 PM   #1
erick46590

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Post 2012 SS Power Steering Fluid questions

Hi, I just recently purchased a 2012 2SS with less than 45k mi. The power steering pump was going out when I purchased it, the pulley had some play in it. I replaced it with an OEM part. I did not do a complete fluid drain when I replaced it, but it is still making noise on sharp turns and when I accelerate (almost sounds like a supercharger near 4k rpm).

According to the owners manual, I should check the fluid level after driving it approximately 20min so the fluid is warm. It then goes on to say "when the engine is hot, the level should be at the hot MAX level. When the engine is cold, the level should be between the MIN and MAX on the dip stick". That is what is confusing me the most. I only see the MIN and MAX with the hash marks on the dip stick and it first states to check the level when it is warm?

So when I drain the fluid should I just fill it to the hash marks? What hot max level are they referring to?

Also, I've seen some debate about ATF vs power steering fluid in the camaros. My manual gives an old part number for power steering fluid. Some guys have suggested redline fluid. When I go to their website I see they make power steering fluid and ATF. When I put my vehicle make, model, and year on their website, it gives fluids for my vehicle and under the "power steering fluid" section it lists their D4 ATF. I live in indiana, so the vehicle will be driven at or below freezing temps sometimes, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for any help.
erick46590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:24 PM   #2
erick46590

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Just an update for anyone who may have had a similar issue. I have fixed my power steering problem.

First thing I did was watch this video, it's explained simply and is easy to follow https://youtu.be/A0fiZCHz5ew in the video he shows an easy way to flush the power steering fluid pretty completely and without any special tools.

So I started by jacking the front end of my vehicle off the ground, just enough to allow the front tires to turn easily. I then took the top clip off of the low pressure line and drained the reservoir of fluid (have a container of some sort ready to catch the fluid or you'll have a huge mess). After draining the fluid, replace the line and turn your key so you can turn your steering wheel (do not start the car). I turned my wheel from one stop to the other about 10 times, then repeat the process for draining.

After doing this a few times, you should have no more fluid in your lines. At this point, I put a bit of OEM power steering fluid in the reservoir (make sure your line is reattached) and checked the fluid level. I stopped adding fluid when it was at the very bottom of my dip stick. I turned the key without starting the car, and turned it from stop to stop numerous times. I checked my dip stick and it was no longer showing, so it was being cycled through.

I removed the low pressure tube from the bottom of the reservoir to drain the fluid, this ensures any remaining old/bad fluid is being flushed out by the new fluid. You can repeat this process until only good fluid is being drained.

Then I filled the reservoir almost completely with new fluid, began turning the wheels without the car started numerous times, and kept topping off the fluid until the fluid level was maintained just below the max fill line even after turning the wheels.

Then I lowered the car and took it for a drive. I had no whining or anything from air being in the lines (I believe that was a direct result of cycling the air under low pressure, without the car being on) and the steering was perfect, no stuttering or whining, or any of the issues I was having before. So evidently my pump AND fluid was bad, because the pulley on my pump was loose and simply replacing the pump and topping off the fluid did not completely resolve the issue.

Hopefully this can help someone if they run into the same problems I did.
erick46590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:27 PM   #3
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Fixed it:

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:53 PM   #4
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
OP sounds like you got it. From my experience, my 2010 calls for dex 6 atf but then GM changed to Acdelco PS fluid the next model year. So far its been okay with the acdelco stuff and they do offer (acdelco) PS fluid for colder climates versus their regular PS fluid FWIW.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:57 PM   #5
mike12345
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro 1LT
Replaced the ATF with regular power steering fluid a long time ago no issues. I just grabbed a bottle off the shelf.

The air conditioning condenser took a rock and needed replacement. The car got tore apart
mike12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:02 PM   #6
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
OP sounds like you got it. From my experience, my 2010 calls for dex 6 atf but then GM changed to Acdelco PS fluid the next model year. So far its been okay with the acdelco stuff and they do offer (acdelco) PS fluid for colder climates versus their regular PS fluid FWIW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike12345 View Post
Replaced the ATF with regular power steering fluid a long time ago no issues. I just grabbed a bottle off the shelf.

The air conditioning condenser took a rock and needed replacement. The car got tore apart
2011's call for power steering fluid.

From the 2011 owner's manual:
Quote:
Hydraulic Power Steering System | GM Power Steering Fluid (GM Part No. U.S. 89020661, in Canada 89021186).

Tags
2012, 2ss, atf, fluid, power steering