Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-22-2015, 06:02 PM   #1
Scooter18155

Drives: 2010 ss/rs 6 speed manual
They don't want us to work on our own cars

Found this article what do you guys think? I don't find it surprising but how would they enforce it? I think it's just wrong and doubt it will ever come to light.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/20/a...s-car-repairs/
2010 camaro ss/rs, standard 6 speed, ls3 motor, bmr subframe connectors, jba 3” competition Exhaust, stainless works 1 7/8" headers, adm cold air intake, hurst short throw shifter, bo white ported tb, mishimoto aluminum radiator, mishimoto oil cooler.
Scooter18155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:11 PM   #2
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
If "automakers" have an issue with it, let them do our repairs instead of half assed dealership technicians. I would never take my car to a dealership for any repairs outside of cosmetic after all I've been through. Even cosmetic repairs, I'll do myself around here. I know I'll end up with a new dent or something lame like that.
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #3
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Guess I'll be an outlaw then. Fugg car control and any company that wants to keep owning your car after you paid them good money to own it. If they're not on the title, they don't have a say as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:33 PM   #4
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
I still own my 1970 Buick.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:33 PM   #5
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Can be enforced right along side pulling the tags off pillows and mattresses...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:34 PM   #6
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405246
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #7
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Can be enforced right along side pulling the tags off pillows and mattresses...

SHHHHHHHH!

You'll get us all into terrible trouble!
Old 04-22-2015, 07:21 PM   #8
KR4545

Drives: 2012 2SS
In a way I can see where there coming from, there talking about non validated software changes here. Your high speed lan carries some fairly important messages and they all have to share the same data. Think of one possible future scenario, some guy buys a "chip" that plugs into his OBDII port which allows him to raise the convertible top at 30mph while watching TV. This guy crashes and a few milliseconds later all the modules in the car "go quiet" and one message goes out on the network... "fuel pumps off", but his neat little "chip" steps on that message because it was never tested in a crash.

Or a scenario that could happen today, that Vitesse throttle controller that's become so popular, does anybody know what the fail state of it is? Will the throttle be at zero or something a little more random? Can it still effect the throttle after a failure and its turned off? Does it draw power for the display from one of the 5 volt reference signals and does it maintain double redundancy in the circuit? They only have an off road use only disclaimer on the website.

The concern is that the more advanced the technology becomes, the more open it is to untested mods which would not only render the car unsafe for the occupants, but more dangerous to other people on the road and if it cant be hardware protected then they want legal protection.

Last edited by KR4545; 04-22-2015 at 07:37 PM. Reason: i before e except after c, what .... what where?
KR4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:36 PM   #9
CrazyRED

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4545 View Post
In a way I can see where there coming from, there talking about non validated software changes here. Your high speed lan carries some fairly important messages and they all have to share the same data. Think of one possible future scenario, some guy buys a "chip" that plugs into his OBDII port which allows him to raise the convertible top at 30mph while watching TV. This guy crashes and a few milliseconds later all the modules in the car "go quiet" and one message goes out on the network... "fuel pumps off", but his neat little "chip" steps on that message because it was never tested in a crash.

Or a scenario that could happen today, that Vitesse throttle controller that's become so popular, does anybody know what the fail state of it is? Will the throttle be at zero or something a little more random? Can it still affect the throttle after a failure and its turned off? Does it draw power for the display from one of the 5 volt reference signals and does it maintain double redundancy in the circuit? They only have an off road use only disclaimer on the website.

The concern is that the more advanced the technology becomes, the more open it is to untested mods which would not only render the car unsafe for the occupants, but more dangerous to other people on the road and if it cant be hardware protected then they want legal protection.
I think we all probably understand that. That is not the complaint. The complaint is that it is my car to do with as I see fit, not theirs.

I don't think I've ever seen a legitimate claim of a person tuning their car, wrecking it, and successfully suing the manufacture for their negligence.
CrazyRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:59 PM   #10
KR4545

Drives: 2012 2SS
Perhaps in this situation, for once (lol), there not thinking about avoiding court so much as avoiding crash fatalities. If Volvo is really serious about having zero deaths per year by 2020 then there going to have to put people in jail for deleting the passenger airbag in favor of a touch screen. Draconian? Machiavellian? hell yes its all kinds of "ians", but what other options do they have to achieve that goal?
KR4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:33 PM   #11
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
LOl, found this thread on another forum I am part of.

Some BS.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:23 PM   #12
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
They don't want us to work on our own cars

Is this something that's been ongoing, or something new? No matter the case this is absolutely ridiculous!

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/gm-for...160000229.html
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:27 PM   #13
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
I hope this doesn't pass. If it does, i'm never buying new again.
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:21 PM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Relax, this is about altering 1s and 0s, not preventing you from replacing your brake pads. Even though that article is clearly meant to drum up the ire of gearheads, they still said this:
Quote:
The general premise is that unlike cars of the past, today’s vehicles are so advanced and use such a large amount of software and coding in their general makeup, altering said code could be dangerous and possibly even malicious.

the law would hypothetically protect automakers from pesky owners looking to alter any sort of technology in the vehicle that relates to the onboard computer
That makes it pretty clear what the intention and scope of this proposal is. And for the most part, I agree. About the only exception that I think should be made would be related to engine tuning. But mucking around in the control systems related to vehicle safety (which includes elements of the infotainment system) shouldn't be allowed imo.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote