Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 01-23-2017, 11:02 AM   #15
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
Looking a bit crispy underneath, and that wiring looks... questionable.
Thus the project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F. View Post
Mid-late 80's, stay away from anything with T-tops imo.
If I were in the market for a 3rd generation, I wouldn't get one without t-tops. They're quintessential '80's!
PDXSSCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:18 AM   #16
O.F.

Drives: 2015 BLK/BLK 2SS/RS MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
Thus the project.

If I were in the market for a 3rd generation, I wouldn't get one without t-tops. They're quintessential '80's!
I loved mine too but show me one with T-tops that doesn't smell like a swamp. They all leak...or did at one time...or will. My $.02 only of course.
O.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:12 AM   #17
SWRocket

Drives: 2021 2SS
Wow guys, thanks so much for the info. I was away and didn't have a chance to check the thread.
MY plan is to restore it to original (as much as feasible.) No real power upgrades, but chassis and suspension are something I do plan on doing.
I already had a 2010 2SS and now own a 2014 Z/28 so I know it's a better car This is a project for fun, bonding and nostalgia nothing more.
I found an 87 IROC with 5.7TPI all original. It does have T-TOPS and some surface rust but nothing major. Will need a repaint for sure. Will also need quite a bit of mechanical work.
I can get it for about 3K CAD (around $2200 USD) and estimate needing to put another $8K into it. Current values for these don't warrant that but...
2021 2SS A10 - Summit White - NPP - MRC - Adrenaline Red Interior Pkg - Black Appearance Pkg - Ground Effect Pkg - Suede Steering Wheel and shifter - Red Calipers - Carbon Flash Wheels w black lug nuts - DD Tinted Side Markers - Hero Tinted Rear Reflectors - Redline Fender Badges - 20% Tint
Audio System Build Log
-----------------------------------------------------------
2014 Z/28 Summit White - sold 2020
2010 2SS/RS Summit White - sold 2014
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:57 AM   #18
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWRocket View Post
I can get it for about 3K CAD (around $2200 USD) and estimate needing to put another $8K into it. Current values for these don't warrant that but...
You can't put a value on bonding with your kid. I'd say if you've given the car a good look-over and you feel that there is nothing too wrong with it for you to handle, then go for it. The time spent working on it together will be priceless. AND you don't have to drop the whole cost of restoration all at once, you can spread it out over how ever long you want.

I had 2 3rd Gens. A 1983 Berlinetta 5.0/T-tops, 4 barrel carb, auto, and a 1989 RS 5.0/T-tops TBI 5-speed. Yes. On both cars the T-tops had small leaks on the passenger-side front corner, but throwing a fluffy towel down absorbed the water and kept it from soaking the carpet.

My current 2013 LS/3.6/6 speed will blow the doors off my other two in every category, BUT, I used to play with a guy on the (country) back-road twisties in Mexico on his 1986 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (In my '89). It got to the point to where I had to back off in the corners or run him over ... straightaways, it was no competition, but in the curves the Camaro was the clear winner. The point of the story I guess is that although I feel my current car is better all around, I'll never be able to make those kinds of memories again ... I don't drive that way anymore and I don't have friends like that anymore, but I'll have the MEMORIES the rest of my life.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:35 AM   #19
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
You can't put a value on bonding with your kid. I'd say if you've given the car a good look-over and you feel that there is nothing too wrong with it for you to handle, then go for it. The time spent working on it together will be priceless. AND you don't have to drop the whole cost of restoration all at once, you can spread it out over how ever long you want.

I had 2 3rd Gens. A 1983 Berlinetta 5.0/T-tops, 4 barrel carb, auto, and a 1989 RS 5.0/T-tops TBI 5-speed. Yes. On both cars the T-tops had small leaks on the passenger-side front corner, but throwing a fluffy towel down absorbed the water and kept it from soaking the carpet.

My current 2013 LS/3.6/6 speed will blow the doors off my other two in every category, BUT, I used to play with a guy on the (country) back-road twisties in Mexico on his 1986 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (In my '89). It got to the point to where I had to back off in the corners or run him over ... straightaways, it was no competition, but in the curves the Camaro was the clear winner. The point of the story I guess is that although I feel my current car is better all around, I'll never be able to make those kinds of memories again ... I don't drive that way anymore and I don't have friends like that anymore, but I'll have the MEMORIES the rest of my life.
PDXSSCE is offline   Reply With Quote