Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-12-2020, 05:29 PM   #1
craigd853

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Boosted

Hello all, I have a 2010 camaro since new with an edelbrock supercharger on it. Janetty tuned with ID 850 injectors, headers and bigger fuel pump. I am having an issue that just started yesterday. When under a load and high rpm cars #8 cylinder is misfiring. I just put NGK plugs in it last year with brand new morroso 8mm wires. I have swapped out the coil and still have the misfire. I pulled the plug and it looks good and the wire is in great shape. I am an L99 and still have the original lifters and rocker arms in the engine. I am still going to swap out the plug and then the wire to see if there is any difference.Also if need be I will do a compression check to see if there is a compression problem if the plug wire or plug does not resolve my issue. I do not have a rough idle and when the car is in park with no load on the engine and when you rev it up it does not misfire. Has any one experience a possible floating valve do to a weak lifter. I know the lifters that come with the L99 are weak by nature as well as the needle bearings in the rocker arms. I don't beat on my car and it is not an every day driver as it sits in the garage most of the time. Just curious if anyone else who was boosted had any issues with their stock lifters going bad or being weak. I am running 9lbs of boost and have never had any issues with the car until now. Tune and supercharger have been on the car for almost 4 years with the same tune. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by craigd853; 05-12-2020 at 05:33 PM. Reason: misspell
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #2
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
I'd swap the injector to another cylinder as well to rule that out. When you pull the plug I'd do a compression test, no reason not to. That will tell you a lot.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:15 AM   #3
craigd853

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
I'd swap the injector to another cylinder as well to rule that out. When you pull the plug I'd do a compression test, no reason not to. That will tell you a lot.
Yes definitely, thanks
Old 05-15-2020, 01:09 PM   #4
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd853 View Post
Hello all, I have a 2010 camaro since new with an edelbrock supercharger on it. Janetty tuned with ID 850 injectors, headers and bigger fuel pump. I am having an issue that just started yesterday. When under a load and high rpm cars #8 cylinder is misfiring. I just put NGK plugs in it last year with brand new morroso 8mm wires. I have swapped out the coil and still have the misfire. I pulled the plug and it looks good and the wire is in great shape. I am an L99 and still have the original lifters and rocker arms in the engine. I am still going to swap out the plug and then the wire to see if there is any difference.Also if need be I will do a compression check to see if there is a compression problem if the plug wire or plug does not resolve my issue. I do not have a rough idle and when the car is in park with no load on the engine and when you rev it up it does not misfire. Has any one experience a possible floating valve do to a weak lifter. I know the lifters that come with the L99 are weak by nature as well as the needle bearings in the rocker arms. I don't beat on my car and it is not an every day driver as it sits in the garage most of the time. Just curious if anyone else who was boosted had any issues with their stock lifters going bad or being weak. I am running 9lbs of boost and have never had any issues with the car until now. Tune and supercharger have been on the car for almost 4 years with the same tune. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Thank you for your business,

It is not clear who you are but if engine is all stock I would be looking at Valve springs and possibly a bent valve.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:14 PM   #5
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
You mention checking the plug- did you verify the gap is still small enough? I change my plugs every year to prevent gaptosis. It will grow over time with boost, especially. If it's fine except in boost /high load, it might be gapped up in the 0.050"+ range. This could cause misfire only under boost.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 06:38 PM   #6
craigd853

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Thank you for your business,

It is not clear who you are but if engine is all stock I would be looking at Valve springs and possibly a bent valve.

Ted.
Well Ted I hope your wrong buddy but if your not you will be getting a call from me for your rough idle cam along with the valve springs and accompanying mods. LOL
Old 05-15-2020, 06:39 PM   #7
craigd853

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
You mention checking the plug- did you verify the gap is still small enough? I change my plugs every year to prevent gaptosis. It will grow over time with boost, especially. If it's fine except in boost /high load, it might be gapped up in the 0.050"+ range. This could cause misfire only under boost.
Thanks Rob I will look into that as well.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:07 AM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd853 View Post
Well Ted I hope your wrong buddy but if your not you will be getting a call from me for your rough idle cam along with the valve springs and accompanying mods. LOL
These cars are getting older and stock valve spring failures are becoming more common so I would pull the valve covers right away.

When the valve spring breaks the valve will come in contact with the piston and bend slightly.

A leak down test will verify if or not you have a bent valve.

I have good used heads available as well.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote