Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 08-07-2016, 06:18 PM   #1
Grey_AF

Drives: 16' Camaro SS Midnight Grey 6spd
Just installed Borla S-Type Catback

So since April when i bought my 16' SS with NPP i knew an after market catback was in my future, dont get me wrong, the NPP sounded great for stock, but I didnt like the soft idle and raspy full throttle. Also, it just didnt have that heart dropping deep bass that turns heads and tickles your brain. Ive read the forum everyday, paying close attention to all of your thoughts and feelings about exhaust.

A couple of things that were important to me with an aftermarket Catback:
1) Delete secondary Cats
2) 304SS
3) Less rasp more bass; LOUD
4) No loss of low end TQ due to too large of pipe diameter.
5) Long lasting quality

I finally settled on Borla's S-Type catback, part #s 11920 & 60606. I wasnt worried about retaining dual-mode due to the fact that I love loud all the time, and there are too many choices when it comes to drive modes, engine sound management, etc.. it starts to hurt my head.

How was install? How does it sound?

3 hours start to finish; an hour alone aligning the tips... Driver side was perfect as soon as the clamps tightened. Passenger side gave us some issues to say the least. For some reason the tips sat 1/2in lower than the driver side. Being a perfectionist I knew this was unacceptable. So I and my mechanic tinkered around, loosened, tightened, lowered and raised the car and asked other folks in the shop what they thought. We were down to two options: 1) Heat and bend the hanger on the muffler or 2) Drill out the bolt holes on the factory hanger mount allowing for a bigger washer. Went with option 2.
We finally got it level! After that it was a matter of deciding how far i want the tips to stick out, do i want the Borla emblem to be clearly visible or only slightly? Well, I kept the tips tucked similar to OEM and just enough to see that something was inscribed on the tips.

Sound impression:

SIMPLY MAGNIFICENT! I didnt mention this before but I couldnt sleep the night I purchased the S-Type over the ATAK, I read every forum out there comparing the two. SVTs, Gen 5 Camaros, 5.0s.. All facts pointed to the ATAK being crazy loud, a bit raspy and real exotic sounding. Where as the S-type was more mellow, deeper, and not as Earth shaking.

As soon as the ignition button was pushed I knew i made the right choice, I could instantly feel the deep rumble in my body. I thought to myself "WOW this is LOUD"! The idle was killer, an the sound didnt seem as muffled as the SW Catback. A couple of revs and the whole shop was grinning ear to ear and by this time had gathered around to see what kind of race car was on the rack. The owner's kid recorded my departure smiling the whole time.

Guys this exhaust was worth the $1487 from AutoAnything.com. The mechanic was impressed by the quality during the whole install. The drive home was equally as thrilling. No longer did i have to give the car excess throttle to let it be heard, the smallest application of gas resulted in thunder, yet no drone! And yes, the race car sound is still present for those of you on the fence about the ATAK vs. S-Type. But in my humble opinion, the deeper bass tone from the S-Type was by far worth it. This catback was worth every penny, thanks David Borla for the time spent in R&D

Sorry for the long post, I feel that this experience requires it and may help others who spend all day on the forum waiting for nudge. Let me know if you all have any specific questions! Im very pleased with the outcome and look forward to driving this completely different car everyday.

Last words: This system is not for the faint of heart. it will turn heads, give you a rumble in your ears and make you drive slower just to not draw too much attention!

Cheers
Grey_AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:10 AM   #2
elpatofeo
LawBraker

Drives: 10 SIM 2LT/RS & 2016 1SS Hyper Blue
Where is the sound clip? Otherwise, it didn't happen.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
Grey_AF

https://youtu.be/GNcv0mQgaA0

Cold start and warm up idle.. more to come.

Thanks for watching!
Old 08-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
Grey_AF

https://youtu.be/OtC_4DQDR58

Quick drive, slow cruise and second gear acceleration. (Driver window down)
Old 08-08-2016, 11:59 AM   #5
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
So how does the NPP modes work now. Can you still dial it down and have it remain semi quiet?
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:29 PM   #6
Grey_AF

I elected to get the Borla kit without valves, still has quad tipes just no valves. I enjoy volume all the time, so to me it wasnt worth the extra $400-$500 just for the semi-quiet"ish" option (Part #11920 for axle back and 60606 for X-Pipe).

If you select 11924 you will get the S-Type with valves and it integrates into the Factory NPP harness. So Tour/Snow Ice mode would equal Borla's Touring mode option. Sport/Track mode would open the valves and produce the full sound.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #7
Richkidd87

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Red Hot
Did u throw CEL after the install
Richkidd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:39 PM   #8
Grey_AF

Negative. No CEL and its day 3. The secondary cats that were removed are unmonitored. The rest of the system from Borla bolts right up after the Primary Cats and fits perfect. Shouldnt through a code unless there is a leak, which judging from the quality of the kit shouldnt happen.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #9
Richkidd87

I just got system 60609 and 11925 axle back mufflers installed today and it there a code 30 mins later.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #10
Grey_AF

Were the AFM valves reconnected properly? Also, if the passenger side O2 sensor was removed for the install and then replaced, be sure no anti-seize touched the sensor, only the threads. The only difference between our two systems is that yours has AFM valves built in which ofcourse requires the OEM wire harness to be replugged in.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:55 PM   #11
Richkidd87

I'm about to take it back so they can check
Old 08-08-2016, 01:59 PM   #12
Grey_AF

Yeah not a bad idea, did they tack weld the clamps to ensure the pipes wouldnt loosen and slide around? Heat and vibration will cause that. Also, you could have onstar or autozone read the code for you and verify if its an emissions code or not.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:11 PM   #13
Richkidd87

Just talk to onstar it's the fuel management system
Old 08-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #14
david borla

Drives: Ford GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richkidd87 View Post
I just got system 60609 and 11925 axle back mufflers installed today and it there a code 30 mins later.

Send me an email at davidb@borla.com and we will get this fixed for you asap. Or, call our customer service manager Chris Baas at 805.986.8600, dial 0 and ask for Chris Baas.
david borla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
borla, catback, exhaust, muffler, s-type