Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 05-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #15
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Oh...Sorry.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #16
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyforlife View Post
i would love to has this car . but the price not so much...
There is no other vehicle on the road that is a better deal than this car. The amount of power you get, the great looks, awesome ride, and great build quality blow away all others. Of course, when the Camaro comes out it will have some stiff competition!
Urthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:30 PM   #17
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
SWEET! that means that I should get my base V8 Camaro (Zed 28) for about 35k! plus all the other crap, but MSRP of ~35k!

oh, to limit further confusion, please move this to the Canadian section
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:07 AM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Good idea.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #19
3whiterag
GM Powertrain Retired

Drives: 67SS350, 87 IROC L98, 96SS ver
Quote:
Originally Posted by aston70 View Post
If that's the website admin Mike Robins... He has a GM.com email address so... He must know something?
I have the same address and I know nothing!
3whiterag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:29 PM   #20
Maddog78

Drives: 1969 Z28
So the bottom line is the G8 GT is $7000 more in Canada than the U.S.?

Dissapointing for sure.

They should be much closer.
Maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #21
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog78 View Post
So the bottom line is the G8 GT is $7000 more in Canada than the U.S.?

Dissapointing for sure.

They should be much closer.
you know being from America i find this to be a rip too... but then again we go to Canada to get pharmies...
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:15 AM   #22
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS9CamaroSS View Post
you know being from America i find this to be a rip too... but then again we go to Canada to get pharmies...
The thing about our 'cheap' pills is that we buy them on the installment plan. Make a little contribution to the healthcare plan every year, then when we need drugs they are cheap. So stop buying my drugs! I helped pay for them, well not really. I don't pay a whole lot of tax yet.

The 7k increase in price for the G8 is actually average. Its not bad, but not that good either. Canadian goods are all more expensive than american goods, generally because your dollar has more buying power. So our prices are inflated. Since your dollar has droped in value, things in Canada have become more expensive, comparitively. And few companies will take a 20% hit on prices without a fight. So when we get back to 0.80-0.85/$1 everything will be normal - only slight gouging. Until then, everything in the US is on sale! 20% discount! Even cheaper for beer, smokes, and gas.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:38 AM   #23
Maddog78

Who says we will go back to an 85 cent dollar anytime soon?
Most prediction I've seen say a drop of maybe 5-8 cents over the next 2 yrs.
This is a rip off, plain and simple.
Like I said earlier, when our dollar was 65 cents there was virtually no difference in Canadian and US car prices once you did the conversion.
Now our dollar is par we are being ripped off, there is no other way to say it. I'm sure most Canadian's would accept a slightly higher price because yeah, it is a smaller market, higher cost of business, etc. but $7K on a $30K car?Not good.
Look at Chrysler for one better example. Dropped the price of the Journey from 27K to 20K in Canada. That's more like it.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:12 AM   #24
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
Quote:
Who says we will go back to an 85 cent dollar anytime soon?
Most prediction I've seen say a drop of maybe 5-8 cents over the next 2 yrs.
This is a rip off, plain and simple.
Like I said earlier, when our dollar was 65 cents there was virtually no difference in Canadian and US car prices once you did the conversion.
Now our dollar is par we are being ripped off, there is no other way to say it. I'm sure most Canadian's would accept a slightly higher price because yeah, it is a smaller market, higher cost of business, etc. but $7K on a $30K car?Not good.
Look at Chrysler for one better example. Dropped the price of the Journey from 27K to 20K in Canada. That's more like it.
you know... even though the Canadian dollar is more than the American dollar there are a lot of places in NYS that still charge tourists from Canada more...
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:20 AM   #25
Maddog78

Yeah, same with many in WA, which is just across the line from me.
It's because of exchange rates and fees. When they take their few hundred or whatever $C in, they will not get as good a rate as you see posted online plus the bank will charge them a fee.
There are always 2 rates. One to buy, one to sell. The banks make money either way. The exchange rate you see on online sites is usually in the middle of the buy/sell rate and is usually the rate for a million dollar exchange or plus.
Depends on the merchant though. Some will take the loss of a few percent just to get the business. Some don't care.

Also I just read a new prediction today that with high oil prices supporting our currency it will go up to $1.10 by the end of next year.
Look's very unlikely now that our dollar will ever go back to 85 cents in the forseeable fututre.

How will GM explain to Canadians that a Camaro, built in Canada, costs $7K more than the US when our dollar is worth %10 more?

I can't wait to hear this one!
Old 05-19-2008, 03:00 PM   #26
Jay

Drives: Audi A4
Quote:
Yeah, same with many in WA, which is just across the line from me.
It's because of exchange rates and fees. When they take their few hundred or whatever $C in, they will not get as good a rate as you see posted online plus the bank will charge them a fee.
There are always 2 rates. One to buy, one to sell. The banks make money either way. The exchange rate you see on online sites is usually in the middle of the buy/sell rate and is usually the rate for a million dollar exchange or plus.
Depends on the merchant though. Some will take the loss of a few percent just to get the business. Some don't care.

Also I just read a new prediction today that with high oil prices supporting our currency it will go up to $1.10 by the end of next year.
Look's very unlikely now that our dollar will ever go back to 85 cents in the forseeable fututre.

How will GM explain to Canadians that a Camaro, built in Canada, costs $7K more than the US when our dollar is worth %10 more?

I can't wait to hear this one!
well put bro... i sure cant wait to hear about this one too.... if the difference is 7k for the Camaro... im going south... save myself some coin...because to be honest if i buy this car..... i aint selling it ..... like ever till i die.... so i dont care about resale value.

But I sure would hope that we could just buy here in Canada and save the hassle work... and make the car buying experience actually pleasurable.

"HEAVEN JUST COULDN'T HANDLE ALL THE NOISE"
JAY
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:30 AM   #27
Maddog78

I agree. I want to support the local dealer and all so let's hope for some kick ass pricing in Canada so everybody will go holy shit What a great deal!
Just think if they undercut the competition in Canada.
A great car at a great price. They would sell a shit load.

I'd much rather see that than hear, "Well it's 7 grand more because of blaahahablalaahabblaahahahahhh even though it's made here and your dollar is worth more."
Old 05-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #28
Jay

Drives: Audi A4
Quote:
I agree. I want to support the local dealer and all so let's hope for some kick ass pricing in Canada so everybody will go holy shit What a great deal!
Just think if they undercut the competition in Canada.
A great car at a great price. They would sell a shit load.

I'd much rather see that than hear, "Well it's 7 grand more because of blaahahablalaahabblaahahahahhh even though it's made here and your dollar is worth more."
Although Maddog...... I have seen some promise in the latest pricing with some GM vehicles... the G8 not being one of them.... but for example the CTS is within I think 3 grand of the american pricing after i built one on the canadian and american websites to my liking(dont quote me.... my memory is a litle fuzzy on this now).

i have been noticing that pricing is changing so that they still charge us more, but, if we try to go south we dont save any money after the extra taxes and such..... forcing us to buy in Canada.

So really, were still paying more..... but at-least not as much. <<< And this is only on some vehicles.... most are still in the "ridiculous" category.

If the Camaro is priced within 3 grand of the american pricing i will not go south.... which is sad that im going to bend over and take it....but at that point there is no real savings to go south and get the car really.

I did make a thread about this....dont know if you canadian boys caught it or not...... it was a post to fbodfather's attention to raise awareness about our pricing concerns in Canada.... and although he cant do much about it...he said he would voice our opinions on this to the GM team.

So Im glad that somebody has listened (Fbodfather has been great for us Camaro nuts imo).... now lets see if we still get ripped off or not by GM.

Link below to see what the thread was all about.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3619

"HEAVEN JUST COULDN'T HANDLE ALL THE NOISE"
JAY
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote