Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 01-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
14ZL1M6

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Coupe A6 & 2002 ZO6
ZL1 Clutch vs ZR1 Clutch

Hey Guys,

How much of an upgrade is the ZR1 Clutch in our cars? How much HP can it hold?

Thanks
14ZL1M6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:15 AM   #2
vcyclenut

Drives: 2011 ctsv
I asked the same basic question on the ctsv forum and did not get a response.
vcyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:06 PM   #3
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
my reading has lead me to belive they are very similar. your good to 700whp or so and after that is how you drive it.

if you stay on street ruber and drive the car moderatly hard you might be good to 750whp even touch 800. start launching on tire and it can be a coin flip.

I am not sure I would not even bother swaping out my stock ZL1 clutch for the ZR1 unit. If I get to point where I was making 700whp+ I willproabably put a 1000lb clutch in just to have good margin like the stock car did again.

if you want to really know I would call lingenfelter or katech someone who works with clutch packakes as they might know the exact differences.

my only knowledge just come from people modding cars on both platforms and the point they had to upgrade. they are similar though.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:08 PM   #4
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
From what I have heard, most people with higher hp ZL1s have been disappointed with the ZR1 clutch. Hendrix street slayer double or triple carbon seems to be the clutch of choice.
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I have heard the ZR1 clutch is actually a down grade. Check with Steve at SNL to confirm.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:59 PM   #6
forklord

Drives: 2010 2SS
Ive seen a lot of threads where people arent happy with the zr1 clutch
2010 2SS- 562whp/634wtq 12 psi on3 turbo 78mm magnum /w aem truboost, pat g cam, Kooks 3" catback, Factory Rep 41s with 285/315 20" michelin PSS, Snow Meth, Hex Hood Vents, ZL1 FP & ADM FPCM /w JMS BAP, ID 850s, DSS lvl 4 axles & aluminum 1 piece D/S, Total Pro BMR bushings, fe4 sways, toe rods & trailing arms, Prothane engine mounts, MGW shifter, eaton true trac, mantic 9000 clutch, idealg master cylinder, JDP clutch oil reservoir, ram clutch pedal adjust, Tick clutch & bleed lines, Dewitts Rad
forklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:04 PM   #7
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 SS
The ZR1 clutch is a terrible setup, lots of people have had issues with them.
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:17 AM   #8
himmy33
Go Cougs!

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch View Post
Can you please explain why? Just curious what the differences are.
himmy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #9
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Says the sales guy for monster clutches.

I have 700 whp and love my ZR1 clutch. Works great for both street and strip.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:29 AM   #10
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by himmy33 View Post
I've got another thread where I went into details as to why, I'll dig it up shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post

Says the guy with common sense and an actual knowledge base on the workings and failures of clutches... LOL It was asked between a ZL1 and a ZR1, nowhere did it say anything about a Monster.

The ZR1 is a flamming pile of crap. It works for you, congratulations, you must not drive your car aggressively or you are just one of the lucky ones.

Don't believe me? Just research on this forum and many others...
Old 02-02-2015, 10:37 AM   #11
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by himmy33 View Post
I can't find the exact thread but here is one of my responses from another thread -

Quote:
I've had a few guys ask me what's the difference between this unit and the LS9 that plagued so many of you with issues...

Below is a brief synapse. Contact me directly if you want more information - suffice it to say this unit is far, far superior in every way.

There are many, many differences in the clutches. The LS9 setup is terrible, plain and simple. We received those before the LS9 cars actually released to "test" and back then we told them they were junk.

The main reason for failure on the LS9 units is the complete lack of rigidity in the setup. There is no "shell" to hold the internal components together, period. It's all done internally and the diaphragm is riveted over the top of the assembly and it is those rivets that hold the clutch together. The flex and distortion in the unit causes numerous failures, namely they fly a part when abused. Those rivets are prone to snap off because they're being asked to support/hold things together that it was never intended to. The heavy discs pose another problem. The lack of plate load and overall lack of ability to hold tolerances when it's being put under a load cause the other issues that plague the unit. Those are what cause release issues and soft pedal issues. This is the exact reason we never got on board with this unit - ever.

When you compare this to the LT1 units you can clearly see that from the start, it's a covered pressure plate assembly. The reason this is the most common of all pressure plates is that it's the most durable. All aftermarket manufacturers of clutch components will tell you that. Further, the vastly improved SAC setup allows this unit to not only last longer and keep the pedal at the same position throughout the life of the unit, it also allows for a lighter pedal without using an inferior pressure plate design. I go into detail on this in another post on this forum.

The riveting and internal structure from the LT1 twin is robust and well thought out, there are T rivets on the floater that keep high rpm release issues at bay, there are also pivot rivets that assist in making sure that all the tolerances are held throughout the operation of the unit - this was vastly overlooked in the LS9.

The lift and release, bearing load, and plate load are all better suited for the newer hydraulics - and are all better/improved over the LS9 setup. The pedal stop that is build into the cover assembly keeps high rpm shift issues at bay as well as protects the slave cylinders from over-extension, this is a common problem with the 5th Gen Camaros.
Research LS9 failures, they're very prominent with aggressive driving.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:39 AM   #12
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post

I apologize for my brash response initially, I just get really aggravated when people assume that because I own Monster I pass out tech advice based off of trying to obtain more sales. That's asinine. Anyone can research the LS9 clutch option for our cars and see there are a ton of failures, you can further your research to other platforms and see it's no different there either.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #13
jrhagen
Banned

Quote:
I've got another thread where I went into details as to why, I'll dig it up shortly.

Says the guy with common sense and an actual knowledge base on the workings and failures of clutches... LOL It was asked between a ZL1 and a ZR1, nowhere did it say anything about a Monster.

The ZR1 is a flamming pile of crap. It works for you, congratulations, you must not drive your car aggressively or you are just one of the lucky ones.

Don't believe me? Just research on this forum and many others...
As I run high 10s, I must be one of the lucky ones.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:03 AM   #14
jrhagen
Banned

Quote:
I apologize for my brash response initially, I just get really aggravated when people assume that because I own Monster I pass out tech advice based off of trying to obtain more sales. That's asinine. Anyone can research the LS9 clutch option for our cars and see there are a ton of failures, you can further your research to other platforms and see it's no different there either.
I appreciate your apology but first impressions are permanent. When I do need a new clutch, I won't be calling you.