Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #57
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
you can adjust the oem lights left to right? that's news to me, can you do this with the halogen housings when doing a retrofit?
Yes, it's not a lot of adjustment but it can be done. There's a torx inside the unit you can just barely reach through the hole that has the plug for the wiring. See my pics in thread.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:24 PM   #58
blackswan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_CTS-V View Post
Has anyone considered taking the bowl to a metal casting business to see if it can be used as a mold for cast aluminum? I'd think a polished metal copy would last longer.
Just figured it would cost as much as a new pair of lights, but good idea. Interestingly, looks like the 2014-15 is metal?

They also look very close to the 2010-2013 projectors in size/shape, though I know the bulbs are D3's. Wonder if I could retrofit?
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2018, 06:36 PM   #59
blackswan

Anyone know if the plug/connector (on the outside of the headlight) on the 2010-2013 is same as 2014-15?
Old 03-13-2018, 07:40 PM   #60
Maiden69

Drives: 2020 Orange Crush 1SS/1LE
If you are retrofitting, go aftermarket... there is no need to replace a sub-par projector with another sub-par projector, there are a few good options in 2.5", and with a little work, you can fit a 3" there as well.
Maiden69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:29 PM   #61
blackswan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden69 View Post
If you are retrofitting, go aftermarket... there is no need to replace a sub-par projector with another sub-par projector, there are a few good options in 2.5", and with a little work, you can fit a 3" there as well.
What do You Recommend? I’m willing to do some work...
Old 03-26-2018, 06:29 AM   #62
Maiden69

Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 hands down is the best out right now. I did their 4TL-R because it was a 2.5 and didn't want to hack on the shrouds at this time. The output is very good, but the D2S have a much brighter and wider hot spot. You will need a D1S > D2S igniter and D2S bulbs
Old 03-26-2018, 09:06 PM   #63
blackswan

Quote:
Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 hands down is the best out right now. I did their 4TL-R because it was a 2.5 and didn't want to hack on the shrouds at this time. The output is very good, but the D2S have a much brighter and wider hot spot. You will need a D1S > D2S igniter and D2S bulbs
So dumbass question, same connection to 2012 harness?
Old 03-30-2018, 08:48 PM   #64
fleebag

Drives: Moneypit
Quote:
Tried the 4.0 but too much trouble to fit housing to adjuster in light.

How was the 4TL-R install? Were you able to screw the bulb housing to the adjuster thing? Or did you have to modify?
Thanks in advance
fleebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:43 AM   #65
blackswan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleebag View Post

How was the 4TL-R install? Were you able to screw the bulb housing to the adjuster thing? Or did you have to modify?
Thanks in advance
Same questions. Would love to get the 4.0 and force it in, but not interested in the hassle. If the 4TL-R is easier I'm going that route for sure. Perhaps we can construct a DIY thread for this, many people are going to need it based on what we're seeing with these HID bowl's disintegration.

Wondering if it's easier to get a pair of Halogen lights and use a retrofit kit on those? Concerned it will look bad on the RS cars (just used to the look of the HID headlights).
Old 04-06-2018, 01:10 AM   #66
thiwho

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm one that has starting to notices that my light are getting weaker and weaker as time goes on. I have also thought about just changing out the old xenon out for led. but after seeing the problem is in the designs of the lights themselves, I started looking for a replacements for them. I happen to find this, but I would like to see what y'all think about doing this. They have the options of led vs xenon which I believe would be a better choose in the long run of the live of the bulbs.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #67
blackswan

That product is to upgrade halogen housings, not the HID ones which came with your (and my) RS. You could go out and get a pair of halogen ones and then upgrade using this projector retrofit. Might even be worth buying brand new ones if your plastic covers are aged/pitted. I considered this, but wasn't happy with the look - seemed like it was an eyeball popping out

https://v0hgct-eilydawjvck7.webscale...Sa-gQXotU.webp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiwho View Post
I'm one that has starting to notices that my light are getting weaker and weaker as time goes on. I have also thought about just changing out the old xenon out for led. but after seeing the problem is in the designs of the lights themselves, I started looking for a replacements for them. I happen to find this, but I would like to see what y'all think about doing this. They have the options of led vs xenon which I believe would be a better choose in the long run of the live of the bulbs.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #68
Maiden69

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleebag View Post

Thanks in advance
4TL-R fits in with minor shaving to the OEM projector mount. The top 2 holes need to be slightly adjusted because they fall underneath the mount, but using 2 larger washer will hold them in just fine. Any bigger projector can be made to work, as the OEM mount is a hard resin plastic, all you would have to do is fill in the voids with JB Weld, and shape as needed.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:15 PM   #69
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Can anybody explain why there's a gap between the reflector cover and the lense? Seems to me if the reflective cover extended all the way to the lense a 35W light would be brighter without having to install a higher watt bulb

Update - direct from Morimoto "Very few projectors are enclosed--it's actually better to have some openings to allow heat to dissipate out. Perhaps 0.1% of light is lost without this being covered at absolute most."

Last edited by camguynj; 04-11-2018 at 08:03 PM.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:44 PM   #70
IXFKS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I dont think i saw this suggestion in the thread. Im late to this party but ive had the same issue and this was my solution for the DIM HID headlight problem right after you replace the bulbs.

When you pull out the bulbs that were NOT dim, pay attention to how the bezel is placed on the bulp, it will not be straight up and down, it will be canted to the side an 8th of a circle. it HAS to be put back on that way on the new bulb or the lense will not focus the light properly and you will have dim lights. if you have the bezel correct, when you install the new lights, whether you get $40 chinese made, or $100 sylvanas, they will be as bright as you remember.

here is a link to another poster with a DIY for changing bulbs. The second Picture is how the bezel goes onto the light. (thank you, GearHeadPeter)

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120592

I hope by now you have fixed the problem with out buying a lot more parts.
IXFKS is offline   Reply With Quote