Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
RS headlight conversion harness for non RS? :iono:

I bought the RS headlights and left Fest early to get them installed before I headed to work. Baked one of the RS lights to fix some damage...pulled the bumper off...took my non-rs lights off...went to attach the RS lights and they don't fit .

I guess I need a conversion harness. Does anyone know where these are sold? My Camaro is out of commission until I find this harness

Here she sits :(

AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:13 AM   #2
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Help
Old 08-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
2014camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS M6
I only found a wiring harness but nothing else, there shouldn't be a fitting harness, the lights are the same size. I might be wrong though, here is what i found
http://www.gen5diy.com/index.php?rou...&product_id=53
2014camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
AdamZ
Account Suspended

That's what I am looking for man thanks!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #5
2014camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
That's what I am looking for man thanks!
oh no problem

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=...w=1453&bih=718

some more
2014camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #6
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
Ofer was at the fest so he won't be back home for a couple days...
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
The SwiftChancelor

Drives: SGM, 2011 2SS/RS, L99
yeah, Ofer's who I got my ZL1 fog light harness from. Nice guy and good to work with.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
SlowSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Buy the $150 one it is literally plug and play. I installed RS headlights last weekend on my car using that one and man it was simple. Plus it works like a stock RS car, but you get to turn the fogs/drls manually with your fog switch

Edit: here is the direct link to the one I'm talking about Ofer's harness #2

Last edited by SlowSS; 08-05-2012 at 07:57 AM.
SlowSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #9
Thirsty

Drives: Inferno Orange SS
Long story but it gets to your issue...

I purchased a 2012 2ss without the Halo Headlights. Part of the deal was that the dealership would install the Halo Headlights. They told me that it would be about a week before they could do the install because they needed to order the headlights and the wiring harness.

When I went in to have the new headlights installed, they initially told me it would take 45 minutes. About an hour later they told me that they would need to keep the car overnight. So off I went with a loaner.

The next day they said that the wiring harness ran behind the engine and that the only way to change the wiring harness was to lower the engine.

About an hour after that call, I got a call from the sales manager stating that it was going to cost the dealership $5,000 to $8,000 in labor to install the new lights. He offered to take the car back and get me a new one with the headlights I wanted. Even trade. I already had 1500 miles on the car.

Turns out he couldn't locate the car I wanted and I now have a 2013 on order while I'm driving the 2012.

I found that there is a GM tech bulletin stating that dealers should not make the light swap.

Along with the light swap, there are computer changes necessary because the fog lights are the day time running lights on cars with the halo headlights.

However, all is not lost, I found aftermarket light kits that allowed for the light swap. You just cannot do it easily with GM parts.

Hope this helps.
Thirsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Adam, if you haven't already bought a harness, go talk to Ofer first. He has nothing but good reviews.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty View Post

I purchased a 2012 2ss without the Halo Headlights. Part of the deal was that the dealership would install the Halo Headlights. They told me that it would be about a week before they could do the install because they needed to order the headlights and the wiring harness.

When I went in to have the new headlights installed, they initially told me it would take 45 minutes. About an hour later they told me that they would need to keep the car overnight. So off I went with a loaner.

The next day they said that the wiring harness ran behind the engine and that the only way to change the wiring harness was to lower the engine.

About an hour after that call, I got a call from the sales manager stating that it was going to cost the dealership $5,000 to $8,000 in labor to install the new lights. He offered to take the car back and get me a new one with the headlights I wanted. Even trade. I already had 1500 miles on the car.

Turns out he couldn't locate the car I wanted and I now have a 2013 on order while I'm driving the 2012.

I found that there is a GM tech bulletin stating that dealers should not make the light swap.

Along with the light swap, there are computer changes necessary because the fog lights are the day time running lights on cars with the halo headlights.

However, all is not lost, I found aftermarket light kits that allowed for the light swap. You just cannot do it easily with GM parts.

Hope this helps.
and a big. its done all the time....
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
I find it odd that no one at the fest told you needed the harness to install the RS headlights.

That's general knowledge that has been floating around since 2009.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
I bought the RS headlights and left Fest early to get them installed before I headed to work. Baked one of the RS lights to fix some damage...pulled the bumper off...took my non-rs lights off...went to attach the RS lights and they don't fit .

I guess I need a conversion harness. Does anyone know where these are sold? My Camaro is out of commission until I find this harness

Here she sits :(
I converted mine about a year and half ago, before Ofer was doing conversion harness's. I used the OttoBody conversion harness. Mine work like a charm and I've never had a minute's trouble. I think Ofer now offers two conversion harness's. He has one that's basically his version of the OttoBody harness and I think the other one disables your DRL's
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #14
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty View Post

Hope this helps.
Like somebody already said, your dealer is an idiot and there’s technical service bulletins warning them not to attempt exactly what they were trying to do for you. They were attempting to do a full conversion to the whole RS lighting system. This requires not just the head lamps, but also new fog lamps(DRL’s), all new wiring harness’s, body control module, and head lamp switch. Even if they pulled it off the results would be less than spectacular. You lights would end up working like a factory RS car, which is not exactly the greatest setup. The advantage to a non-RS car is that they have actual fog lamps with an actual fog lamp switch. You would lose all this in a full RS conversion, but a non-RS car with RS Head lamps and a conversion harness is truly the best of both worlds.

Last edited by Rocky1974; 08-05-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote