Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-20-2009, 01:30 AM   #1
BrandonGoodman

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Camaro
Question USB Playback Problems: which device do you use?

Like many others, I am experiencing problems with my USB playback. I have an 80 gig iPod Classic that is permanently connected to the car's USB port. I have had many instances though where the display gets stuck on a particular song and will not update to reflect the currently playing song without either unplugging the iPod or turning the car off. When this first happened, before I had a chance to check the forums, I thought maybe it was my iPod. I know apple frequently releases firmware updates and I have never actually synced to iTunes and had it check for updates. I loaded the thing up from day one using another program and have left it in the car ever since. I see now though that many others seem to be having the same problem so I would like to see which players people are using and if they are having the same issue? Maybe there is another common factor here other than the car itself?

Please add your reply here indicating which devices you have tried and if it works or does not.

80gig iPod Classic : Random Display Freezes
7/18/09 bought it off another dealer's lot

Prior:
1984 305 Camaro
1997 5.7L Z28 Camaro
BrandonGoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:40 AM   #2
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I have a flash drive with songs on it that i leave plugged in all the time and no problems yet. only music device i have, sorry couldnt be more helpful.
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:37 AM   #3
Cheshirelaugh

Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro
I've got one of the 160gig iPods. It gets stuck on very particular songs. Every time it does I think, "I need to delete those" it's a few 'mp3 walking tours' from Italy. In my case I wouldn't call it 'random'.
Built 5/15
Delivered 6/19
Picked-up 6/22
Cheshirelaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
Nova65

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Auto IBM Black Int
sometimes my 8 gig usb drive gets stuck and the screen freezes up, perhaps there will be a patch down the road
Nova65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
zenister21
zenister21

Drives: 2010 Cyber Gray 2SS
iPod Mini issues

I have a 4 GB iPod Mini hooked up via USB. Works fairly well but does have some irritating issues:

1. Isn't recognized immediately. I leave it plugged in all the time but when I start the car it takes about 5 or 10 minutes before it's recognized, and when it is the system automatically switches to it.

2. When the iPod starts, it always starts with the same song. I don't have any playlists specified, and it has to start somewhere, just wish it would randomize from startup....hence #3

3. the radio does not retain the settings I choose. Every time the iPod starts i have to change it to random. Once I turn the car off and back on, it's back to random=off

4. Yes, I have had the display get stuck on a particular song. the iPod continues play, but the display does not update. Off and on usually fixes it.
zenister21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
I hook up my 32GB iPhone 3GS to my stereo. If it work right away I'm good. If it freezes. I have to turn off the radio, disconnect the phone and then plug it back in (into the USB jack). Works about 90% of the time the first time. I hope there is a "update" soon.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
80gb zune. I updated my pdim and I still have issues.

random disconnects. It says "no supported blah blah disconnect device" Cant rememebr verbatim.

Then it has problems recognizing the zune at start ups. Late recognitions and automaticlly switchs to zune when it does. Plus mine always indexs to Dont Fear The Reaper even if it has been pluged in. Then whenever I start a random play list it plays 99 To Life by Social D.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
32gb USB drive. 3500 songs but only 2500 get recognized. Stays connected for the most part without issue and is recognized on startup. But indexing is annoying. Each time it loads up I have to put it back on random. If I don't do that it will start playing Peter Bjorn and John - Poor Cow. If do put it on random before the current song ends (the last one I was listening to before shutoff) it plays The Gaslight Anthem - The '59 Sound.

Which sorta makes sense (not really). If it's set to random it digs down in the index and picks the 1st song in the index. Apparently the indexer ignores "The" at the beginning of the title thus "'59 sound" is the first song in the index due to the apostrophe. The Peter Bjorn & John song is numerically by file name the first song on the drive's file structure so that's getting hit first when random is off. What is odd is that random has an affect on this even though in both cases it's not actually picking a random song but the first one (from the index or file structure).
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
codeman71
GM Employee

Drives: 2006 Pontiac G6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenister21 View Post
I have a 4 GB iPod Mini hooked up via USB. Works fairly well but does have some irritating issues:

1. Isn't recognized immediately. I leave it plugged in all the time but when I start the car it takes about 5 or 10 minutes before it's recognized, and when it is the system automatically switches to it.

2. When the iPod starts, it always starts with the same song. I don't have any playlists specified, and it has to start somewhere, just wish it would randomize from startup....hence #3

3. the radio does not retain the settings I choose. Every time the iPod starts i have to change it to random. Once I turn the car off and back on, it's back to random=off

4. Yes, I have had the display get stuck on a particular song. the iPod continues play, but the display does not update. Off and on usually fixes it.
The iPod Mini isn't supported on the Camaro, so the iPod is just acting like a USB drive in this case, so what you're experiencing is typical of a normal USB drive functioning with the PDIM and its limitations, like not remembering the random setting and the display getting stuck. Not that these things are intended, just that others have described the same operation.

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.

Last edited by codeman71; 07-22-2009 at 05:15 PM.
codeman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
PolishMike

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Ipod touch -

Same thing as above, display freezes on certain songs, then im no longer able to skip tracks. Have to unplug/plug.
PolishMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #11
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
I have the latest gen 8gb Nano, works fine. It remembers the last song before I shut off the engine and continues on when I jump back into the car.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:56 PM   #12
BumbleSS

Drives: BumbleSS
I am using various USB sticks - 4 and 8 GB. All have the issue of freezing and not displaying the right title of the track, etc. I plan on going to the dealer to determine if I need a 'firmware' upgrade.

Codeman71 - I believe you said in other posts that updates are coming. Anymore info would be great (as it becomes available).

I do like the player - love the bluetooth - I can play music from LG Dare phone over the Bluetooth. Also like using the phone with the radio unit - hands free. Well DONE!

Delivered 7/14/09 VIN #22977
BumbleSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #13
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
You know, I really haven't had the "freezing" and incorrect track title issues. But all of my music is rather "clean" and from good sources. Maybe some corrupt, invalid, or odd ID3 tags are tossing the unit a curve ball and causing it?
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:09 AM   #14
Cruzintexas

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT2/RS
question!

1st and 2nd gen Ipod Nano and no prolems so far. We leave one of them in ther all the time. I set shuffle on the ipod before plugging up and it runs great. We turn the car off and the ipod goes off we start the car and it goes back to the track it was playing. Now if any of you music guys can help me figure out how to get my music from Yahoo(now closed) to Itunes. I would be thrilled. It is all burned on music from CD's and it will only let me move some of it. The kids have taken some of the cd's off to college etc. and I don't want to buy agian...
Thanks for any input
Cruzintexas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
usb ipod problem