Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #393
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Things have changed a bit in the last couple of decades in the auto industry. Twenty years ago, MSRP on new cars represented about 15-20% mark up for dealers. Over the years, the cost to build cars had increased dramatically, much faster than the market would allow for price increases. So now they are dealing with margins of 6-8% on most cars.

Combine the lower margins, with the increased technology, and tighter tolerances required on today's engines to remain competitive. Add to that equation the added cost to manufacture these engines, and yes, the need to monitor proper maintenance, especially on a lease vehicle, is crucial. Keep in mind, on a lease, the dealership considers that car to be theirs, they're just letting you drive it. They are looking at resale value after you turn it in.
If they don't do something crazy like void the warranty for not changing oil, I may just buy it!
Old 05-17-2016, 02:21 PM   #394
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
I'm a little surprised at the vendor silence on this. I would think GM's decision to "draw the line" at a catch can will have a profound impact on their business going forward.

I gave up the powertrain warranty on my Camaro 2 yrs ago with a custom tune. I have, however, an Elite catch can on my otherwise stock 2015 Silverado with an extended warranty bought and payed for. I'm seriously debating whether or not to pull the can off.

One thing for sure, I will no longer recommend a catch can, cold air intake or exhaust mod to anyone. I certainly don't want to be responsible for someone losing their powertrain warranty because of my recommendation. I wouldn't be surprised if others share this same sentiment.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #395
Childs Play
Pizza & Wings Only $12.99

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
So I'm assuming now I shouldn't buy a cold air intake now because GM would pull the same BS excuse out of their tight ass to void my warranty. Maybe if I put in a custom radio that would affect the voltage of my motor and cause something on it to fail so they could void my warranty that way. SMH

Past Rides:
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
2012 Camaro ZL1 A6
2017 Camaro 2SS M6
Childs Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #396
kaly

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS. 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
I was thinking the same and would contribute to that gladly.
+1

Seems like there's a big lesson coming out of this that indirectly benefits many, even if it's not for a legal challenge.
kaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #397
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Sooo...is that it? Its over?
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:32 PM   #398
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
It's been over for a day or two already... but some people can't accept that.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:57 PM   #399
Imiuru4

Drives: 15 ss
no aftermarket for me at least till its paid off. sucks for the op.

makes one have to question the loyalty to a company that doesn't have the same for its customers.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:54 PM   #400
Chevy Fanatic

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM/PEARL STRIPES-6M
Some say its been over for two days but in my opinion it has only just begun. I hope this impacts GM for years to come. Someone made an extremely bad decision to void an entire powertrain warranty for a simple catch can.

Anybody with automotive experience knows the catch can did not cause this failure, just like we know a catch can is not going to cause axle seals to leak, differential pinion bearing to go out, transmission to fail, but that is exactly what is happening here.

Think about that for just a second, GM is voiding the ENTIRE powertrain warranty due to what amounts to a filter in line between the valve cover and intake manifold. No transmission warranty, no differential warranty, nothing at all in the ENTIRE drivetrain will be covered under warranty due to parts or workmanship failure.

I for one have made my last purchase from GM. I cannot support any corporation that could care less about their consumers.
Whipple S/C, 3.750 pulley, JRE rough idle blower cam kit, Trunion upgrade, C5R timing chain, LS2 chain dampner, Melling 10296, Dynatech 1 7/8 LT headers, OR pipes, Dual valve RX catch can, ID 850 Injectors, LPE Dual fuel pump, CAI with Apex scoop, VMax ported T/B, ADM Tune 675 RWHP 560 TQ
Chevy Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:03 PM   #401
old muscle

Drives: 2011 2ssrs
+1
90 s10 327cc
83 chevy swb 383 stroker
old muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:07 PM   #402
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fanatic View Post
Some say its been over for two days but in my opinion it has only just begun. I hope this impacts GM for years to come. Someone made an extremely bad decision to void an entire powertrain warranty for a simple catch can.

Anybody with automotive experience knows the catch can did not cause this failure, just like we know a catch can is not going to cause axle seals to leak, differential pinion bearing to go out, transmission to fail, but that is exactly what is happening here.

Think about that for just a second, GM is voiding the ENTIRE powertrain warranty due to what amounts to a filter in line between the valve cover and intake manifold. No transmission warranty, no differential warranty, nothing at all in the ENTIRE drivetrain will be covered under warranty due to parts or workmanship failure.

I for one have made my last purchase from GM. I cannot support any corporation that could care less about their consumers.
+1
Old 05-17-2016, 08:38 PM   #403
ZL1ster

Drives: '13 ZL1 IOM M6
Quote:

+1
ZL1ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:18 PM   #404
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
So this is still going on? Cool, I'll check back in this weekend.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:29 PM   #405
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Quote:

+1
Old 05-17-2016, 09:40 PM   #406
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
And OJ Simpson, almost beyond any kind of reasonable doubt, murdered his wife and friend. But lawyers, money, and the only "social media" of the day, TV, got him acquitted. I love my country but money affords individuals AND corporations a lot of justice.

This snub is nothing seventy five to a hundred grand couldn't fix - for the price of a, what, $3-6K (on your own) repair?

Momma always said life wasn't fair. I hoped and participated for a different outcome. It was not to be.