Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-05-2020, 07:28 AM   #1
co14camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro
External Oil Cooler

First things first. Most people will not need this mod unless they regularly road race their Camaros. Road Racing places severe demand on all drivetrain components and unless you take precautions something is going to fail. A few months ago I tracked my car and although it did very well after 20 plus minutes of sustained high speed driving the engine oil temps got over 280 degrees. That's too high for my liking.
Second, the oil filter housing on the Camaro's LFX engine and its cartridge design do not allow for the addition of an external oil cooler. To add an oil cooler you have to be prepared to dig in and get dirty. Also be aware that doing this mod may void what's left of your factory engine warranty.
Preliminary results indicate that my oil temps have dropped 20-30 degrees and the temperature stability has greatly improved. I won't know for sure how it does till I can get back out to the track at the end of the month but I have high hopes that my issue will be resolved.

Here's what I put together for my conversion. I tried to stick with less expensive, high quality components where possible and avoided any ebay knock off junk.

1. To add an external oil cooler you need a new oil filter housing. What works best is the housing from a 2010-2011 Traverse with the V6 engine. I picked one up on ebay for 25 shipped. The modifications you have to do to it are you have to cut off the drip flange and get a M16x1.5 to M14x1.5 adapter to allow you to use your OEM oil pressure sensor.

2. You need to get a sandwhich plate adapter with a built in thermostat. This allows the oil to go straight through to the filter until it reaches a certain temp and then it goes through the external cooler as well. I didn't cheap out on this part and got the M22 Mishimoto adapter and fittings.

3. You need a good quality cooler and lines. I searched for awhile and came upon this racing company that seems to make high quality relatively inexpensive components. For mounting I just used heavy duty L brackets from Home Depot. I got the 25 row cooler and -10AN lines from here: https://grassrootsparts.com/collecti...its-components

Here's a pic of the sandwhich plate installed. As you can see its a tight fit but it works really well!

You will have to shave off part of the AC manifold piece that interferes with threading on an Oil Filter. I used an AC Delco OEM SS filter for quality and size.
co14camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:06 PM   #2
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
A very interesting display of your engineering skills. Pending track results I would say a job well done. I have a few questions pertaining to your build. While you have addressed the engine oil temps what do you expect from coolant temps? I'm assuming a manual transmission and stock rear diff? Those components while adequate for street use may not be up to the stresses encountered during a 20 min road race unless cooling mods have been implemented. Would like to read more about your total build. Is the engine stock? Gears, suspension, tires etc. Pics too!
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2020, 05:05 PM   #3
co14camaro

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah I'm no stranger to modifying cars and like a challenge. It's a 2014 LS 6speed with 1LE sway bars and a square set up 285 tire width 20 inch diameter wheels. Engine wise I have the JacFab Extendolator and Laminator FX breathing through a AF Dynamic intake. Currently its Hypertech Tuned but I want to run flex fuel so an Overkill kit is on the way. I'll try to get some good pics and post them up.
Coolant wise the Camaro never had an issue with 5 20 to 25 min sessions. I never felt any weirdness from the tranny or differential. Both had fresh fluid changes.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:38 AM   #4
co14camaro

Here's some pics.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:37 AM   #5
co14camaro

I had some time to go on cruise this weekend and I can report the oil cooler fixed my problem 100%. On this same cruise I could easily get the oil temps above 270. After the oil cooler I had to work really hard to get it above 230. MUCH safer! For those that enjoy road racing or long cruises this mod is MUST DO for the sake of engine life.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:22 PM   #6
Red Beard
Instagram @redbeardfifty

Drives: Chevy colroado, Gmc yukon
Another option is to look into the oil filter assembly for the colorado. The colorado uses an oil cooler in the bottom of the radiator. So you can use those ports to go to an external oil cooler, and it keeps the oil filter assembly stock to the engine type.

BUT im not 10000% sure that you can put an lgx lgz oil filter housing on the camaro... also, Im sick and tired of the cartidge and a spin on filter would be awesome
Red Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:15 PM   #7
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Alright, time for me to poke my nose into your build but don't take offense I'm just oh so curious. How are you monitoring oil temp? If it is through the DIC you should know (maybe you do) that is not a direct oil temp reading, there is some computer info processing involved and not very accurate, many have said it reads low but I've never verified one way or another. What kind of "cruise" are you partaking in where your temps are getting to 270? I drive the PHX metro area in 120 degree summer heat and the highest I've seen was maybe 220 in heavy afternoon rush hour traffic with speeds still up to 75 or so. I'm still concerned about your trans and rear diff temps during competitive events. The V8 trans holds over 4 qts, the V6 is just under 2. GM recommends a 24 hr change interval on rear diff fluid and that's on rears that are equipped with coolers. You may want to apply that same interval to your trans for preventive maintenance. For research and development purposes you could always measure your temps with a laser temp gun just to give you some reference OR you could use some of your engineering prowess to devise a temp probe and gauge set-up. Oh BTW, nice looking ride!
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2020, 04:58 AM   #8
co14camaro

From what I understand the LFX has a legit oil temp sensor probe in the pan. Readings seem legit when I take a laser temp of the pan and compare it to the dash readout. I think your thinking of the LLT oil temp calculations.

I briefly looked into the Colorado and the LGX engine is completely different. The oil pan has the integrated oil filter housing and its not compatible with the LFX.

I'm a road course racer so my idea of a "cruise" is probably different than most people's. Nothing like a clear curvy mountain road during sunrise and no traffic.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:06 AM   #9
co14camaro

Just an update on this. I went back to the track this past Sunday. Car ran awesome! Had 5 sessions of 20-30 minutes and oil temps never got higher than 250. A 30 degree drop over the last track day! The oil cooler mod is well worth it!
Old 12-09-2020, 12:01 PM   #10
co14camaro

Just a slight update on this. I had to switch to a Mocal sandwhich plate because the POS Mishimoto one kept leaking. Been leak free for over 3 weeks now.